VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,
    First post here and hoping this is the right forum. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place.

I recently got an .MKV from a family member and it plays perfectly in VLC and looks fine.

However, on my computer (Windows 7 32bit) if I have thumbnails enabled explorer will just crash. I have a lot of other MKV files and thumbnails show fine and are not an issue, so I know there's a problem with this file. I've done a bit of searching and all the results I can find relate to thumbnails not showing for any MKV, which is not the case here.

My question is, is there any relatively easy way (I'm a noob here) to fix this file so I can have thumbnails enabled without explorer crashing?

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I'm having a similar problem. But I can't narrow down which file is doing it, or even the file type.

Edit: Windows 7 64 here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My first thought is a suspect codec used making the .mkv file. I'd use mediainfo on it. Everyone who uses digital media should have mediainfo. It really only does one thing but does it brilliantly and it can be incredibly useful.

However, whatever the damn video, which does play in vlc (which IME is second only to smplayer for being able to play any weird non standard codec), is, it shouldn't really be a problem.

I'd be trying the Microsoft tech support site. Use mediainfo first and post the text results if you want good answers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Can you tell me real quick the proper way to get mkvs etc to display thumbnails? Perhaps if I do that right, it'll stop crashing. For me that's clearly when it crashes. I load the folder, it's filling in thumb nails and bang, crash. When I reload it crashes near instantly. It's a race to set the view to details or list before the filing in process reaches the problem file.

If I can narrow down which file is doing it I'll post media info on said file here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again, to be more specific, it doesn't really matter what codec the file may have used, though that info is useful and should be available.

The point is ... Windows Explorer should not be crashing like this for any file. Blaming the video file is pointless.

Which is why I suggested Microsoft tech support.

Before doing so it'd be good to make sure you've updated windows. That'd simplify things and may even solve things if you're lucky. Extremely lucky.
    Quote Quote