VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello Everyone!

I have a Sony PD150P camcorder with firewire and a laptop without firewire or expresscard!
    I see 2 options:
    1. using a firewire to usb cable like this.
    2. Buying a new PC with firewire port.

Now my questions:
    1. Anyone tried a firewire to USB adaptor? although USB speed is more than firewire400 why everuone says that these adaptors wont work?
    2. what are the minimum system requirements for capturing and editing Videos from my camcorder?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkwhite View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I have a Sony PD150P camcorder with firewire and a laptop without firewire or expresscard!
    I see 2 options:
    1. using a firewire to usb cable like this.
    2. Buying a new PC with firewire port.

Now my questions:
    1. Anyone tried a firewire to USB adaptor? although USB speed is more than firewire400 why everuone says that these adaptors wont work?
    2. what are the minimum system requirements for capturing and editing Videos from my camcorder?
    Thanks in advance!
    No on the cable and any USB "adapter". They don't work for camcorder DV capture. You will need a computer with a Firewire (IEEE-1394) port. A port card can be added for ISA/PCI/PCIe or cardbus.

System requirements are low. It was possible to capture DV on a PIII computer. It is preferable to capture to a 2nd SATA drive (other than the OS drive). For this reason, desktops do better than laptops. You can get a used PC desktop for near free at Goodwill or a computer repair shop.

why everuone says that these adaptors wont work?
    It isn't about speed but driver protocol. Windows and OSX lack DV transfer or control protocol over USB. A Direct Show working group published a driver spec that would make this possible but only Panasonic wrote a proprietary driver that only worked with a few consumer MiniDV models. Nobody has implemented a general USB driver for an adapter. Most DV to Firewire adapters work only for networking over Firewire.

I've got a Sony PD150 if you have any questions.
    Last edited by edDV; 23rd Apr 2012 at 19:44.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks a million!
    Then I go for a PC with 2 hard disks.

\\\
    for the CAM I would definitely bother you in respective topics!
    Quote Quote  
  4. the update to your post was fantastic! the question all the time lingered in my mind.

\\\
    System requirements are low. It was possible to capture DV on a PIII computer.
    what about editing the videos?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the update to your post was fantastic! the question all the time lingered in my mind.

\\\
    System requirements are low. It was possible to capture DV on a PIII computer.
    Most editors support or even default to DV format. It has been the standard for the past dozen years.

Among the popular editors are:

Adobe Premiere (all versions since V5 2000).
    Avid/Pinnacle
    Magix (all versions)
    Sony Vegas (all versions)

Some notes on the Sony PD150 camcorder.

1. No need to use "DVCAM" tapes. Normal MiniDV will do fine. I use Panasonic AY-DVM63PQ tape.

2. The PD150 optimizes for 4:3 aspect ratio. But also supports 16:9 wide (CCD cropped).

3. The PD150 supports up to 4 audio tracks (two from balanced XLR). Fine for pro mics.

4. It has great low light performance.

5. Also has the Pro Sony "knee" to control white levels.
    Quote Quote  
  6. what about editing the videos?
    I Meant system requirements for editing!
    I should take, capture and edit 2-3 tapes a week, so I have to buy a new desktop! I think most important part in a movie editing PC is CPU, Is it?
    BTW I have some experiences with Ulead!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I Meant system requirements for editing!
    I should take, capture and edit 2-3 tapes a week, so I have to buy a new desktop! I think most important part in a movie editing PC is CPU, Is it?
    BTW I have some experiences with Ulead!
    Your computer specs say Intel i7. More than sufficient for editing standard def DV format. A P4 is adequate, a Core 2 Duo is sufficient. Main issue is to keep video on drives other than the OS drive.

ULead/Corel Video Studio also edits DV but keep it in DV mode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for all the info!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And remember, DV bitrate is 25Mbps (aka ~13GB/hr when including the audio+metadata), so you'll want a separate drive(s) to capture to. IDE, Sata, eSata, Firewire, SCSI, Fibrechannel or similar are fine. USB 2 is NOT a good idea, but could be used in a pinch. DON'T use your boot drive.

IF you have a choice as to which Firewire port/card manufacturer, those with the TI controller chips have historically been the most trouble-free.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. For my Sony HDR-HV1000U which actually requires firewire, I tried with firewire to USB cable but it dint work. Then I used Avermedia DVD EZmaker for sometime. This is an USB cable. It was just 50-60 dollar. The problem is, it can't capture High Definition video. The maximum is 720p.

This cable comes with Cyberlink Powerdirector by the way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ashfaqul Taposh View Post
    For my Sony HDR-HV1000U which actually requires firewire, I tried with firewire to USB cable but it dint work. Then I used Avermedia DVD EZmaker for sometime. This is an USB cable. It was just 50-60 dollar. The problem is, it can't capture High Definition video. The maximum is 720p.

This cable comes with Cyberlink Powerdirector by the way.
    HDV format uses the same tape, bit rate and Firewire transfer method as DV format but uses GOP based MPeg2* for recording HD video instead of frame based DV. Most HDV camcorders can be switched into DV mode for recording standard 720x480/576 DV format. Most will also support down-conversion of HDV to DV format in the camera. Details on the HDV format are described here ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV

While DV format is directly supported in Windows OS (XP/Vista/Win7), HDV is supported at the application level (including Vista Windows Media Maker). Capture is done over Firewire by the application not the OS. Typical HDV capture-editing apps are...

HDVsplit (capture only - free)

Adobe Premiere Elements/Pro
    Apple iMovie or Final Cut
    AVID (various)
    Corel Video Studio
    Cyberlink Power Director
    Magix (various)
    Pinnacle Studio and others
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio and Pro

Firewire capture results in a first generation HDV copy on disk (bit for bit identical to data on tape). Several editors (e.g. Sony Vegas) will smart edit native HDV format resulting in a first generation finished edit master.

Alternate methods to Firewire to capture video from an HDV camcorder are...

Analog component capture (BlackMagic Intensity Pro/Decklink, Hauppauge Colosus/HD PVR, Elgato HD EyeTV)
    HDMI digital capture (BlackMagic Intensity Pro/Decklink)

There is no USB capture device for HDV format. Alternate is analog component capture usually to h.264. This method results in two generations of loss; once from analog conversion and again during editing.

* HDV is a subset of the Sony Pro XDCAM HD/EX format. Panasonic went a different direction with an HD version of the DV codec called DVCProHD which recorded HD with four DV codecs in parallel. JVC specialized in 720p versions of HDV.
    Last edited by edDV; 16th May 2012 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Have you heard of the guy who finds a button and goes to a tailor and orders a suit!?
    Well I needed a firewire port and bought an iMac for that reason!
    now iMovie wont recognize my sony PD150P! the manual isnt clear enough!
    any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you heard of the guy who finds a button and goes to a tailor and orders a suit!?
    Well I needed a firewire port and bought an iMac for that reason!
    now iMovie wont recognize my sony PD150P! the manual isnt clear enough!
    any help would be appreciated!
    The Sony PD150P is a DV cam, not HDV. It should capture to an iMac fine (from iMovie or Final Cut) but depending on iMac model, you may have a Firewire 400 port or a Firewire 800 port. Some report difficulty capturing Sony DV cams to a Firewire 800 port without the correct cable or adapter. I have a PD150 and a Mac with a Firewire 400 port and everything works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. my mac has a FireWire 9 pin 800. and i have a 9 to 4 pin cable! on the packaging does not say anything about it being 400 or 800.
    I bought the iMac just for capturing and editing my PD150's tapes! I hope it's not in vain!
    when I connect the cam nothing happens in iMovie, when I turn it on or off nothing happens and when I switch to VCR nothing happens as well!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my mac has a FireWire 9 pin 800. and i have a 9 to 4 pin cable! on the packaging does not say anything about it being 400 or 800.
    I bought the iMac just for capturing and editing my PD150's tapes! I hope it's not in vain!
    when I connect the cam nothing happens in iMovie, when I turn it on or off nothing happens and when I switch to VCR nothing happens as well!
    Time to make an appointment with the genius.

See this thread. Same issue but for an HDV cam.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345900

The OP there said that this adapter worked for him.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CDJPQ/ref=asc_df_B0000CDJPQ2003262/?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&t...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Either that or the correct cable for an iMac.
    Last edited by edDV; 16th May 2012 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    It would seem some don't. It needs to be the right cable or adapter for the Apple Firewire 800 port.
    Last edited by edDV; 16th May 2012 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    my mac has a FireWire 9 pin 800. and i have a 9 to 4 pin cable! on the packaging does not say anything about it being 400 or 800.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CDJPQ/ref=asc_df_B0000CDJPQ2003262/?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&t...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Now I'm super frustrated!
    I bought this sonnet adapter and still nothing!
    now the setup is like this: PD150P (4Pin/400) ==>4Pin to 6Pin Cable==> Sonnet (400 to 800 #6Pin to 9Pin) ==> iMac (9Pin/800)

///
    Is it possible im doing something wrong?
    I connect the cables, turn on the camera, switch it to VCR mode! turn on the iMac, go to iMovie, open Import dialog, check the camera source drop down menu. but in there just the built in camera is showing.
    in system report under FierWire tab there is nothing as well!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Now I'm super frustrated!
    I bought this sonnet adapter and still nothing!
    now the setup is like this: PD150P (4Pin/400) ==>4Pin to 6Pin Cable==> Sonnet (400 to 800 #6Pin to 9Pin) ==> iMac (9Pin/800)

///
    Is it possible im doing something wrong?
    I connect the cables, turn on the camera, switch it to VCR mode! turn on the iMac, go to iMovie, open Import dialog, check the camera source drop down menu. but in there just the built in camera is showing.
    in system report under FierWire tab there is nothing as well!
    It seems it should be working from your description. I can't duplicate it because my Mac has a 6 pin Firewire 400 port.

The next thing I would do is test the PD150 on a computer with a 4 or 6 pin FW400 port to verify the port is functional.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Seems the problem is with the camera! I tested a Panasonic NV-MX350 which works fine with that setup!

Here I thank everyone that added something to this topic specially edDV!
    Quote Quote