VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

i want to cut off parts of a video but without recoding. I use virtualdub for that but i have found it has a glitch because it doesnt cut exactly at the time frame i want, but always keeps some seconds before and no matter what i do i just cant cut that part off unless i recode. Is there any other program that can do that but do it right?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An issue discussed a thousand times. Obviously, you are using a compressed video with a long GOP structure. Unless you use smart rendering, you can only cut on I-frames, not P or B frames.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, sorry for not being around in any of the thousand times this issue was discussed... anyway, could you please tell me if smart render is possible in virtualdub?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what format? smart rendering is only possible on very few types of video with specific editors. mainly variants of mpeg-2, and DVavi.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. The format is avi.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Assuming it's XviD or DivX AVI then, yes, smart rendering is available for you. It'll reencode the rest of the GOP where you make the cut and direct stream the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    could you please tell me if smart render is possible in virtualdub?
    Strangely enough, this is described in the section on 'Smart rendering' in the VirtualDub help file.
    Might be worth a read...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Nothing strange, i was using virtualdubmod, i assumed it had the same options. The video is avi but was made with mpeg (recorded with bandicam) and i already tried smart rendering but seems like it wont work. I get an error.

Isnt there any alternative for virtualdub? besides i dont want to render, i want direct stream copy because its much faster and there is no quality loss. There must be a way to cut off that part without recoding.
    Last edited by supercain; 24th Apr 2012 at 06:06.
    Quote Quote  
  9. VirtualDub's smart rendering will probably work if you install an old build of ffdshow and enable its VFW MPEG1 decoder and use its MPEG1 encoder. But recent builds of ffdshow have dropped most of the encoders so you'll have to search for an old build. I don't know exactly when the other encoders were dropped:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow/old-versions#download

One of the comments says rev3029 was the last build with all the encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  10. But smart rendering will take almost as much time as encoding, wont it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    But smart rendering will take almost as much time as encoding, wont it?
    No. Only cut GOPs are re-rendered.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks. So i should get ffdshow rev3029, right?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I just installed rev3029 and was able to smart trim the sample at bandicam.com. But I had to use AviFrate to change the frame rate of the source to 30000/1000.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I downloaded ffdshow but im unsure on what kind of installation to choose. I dont want my codecs or so to break or something. Should i choose the option that says use ffdshow to decode for all the codecs?
    Quote Quote  
  15. For your purposes here you can disable all the audio and video codecs except "MPEG in AVI" in the VFW section.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I had already installed without checking any of the options. Should i reinstall it or can i set it up again even after having installed it?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just select Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> VFW Configuration. Go to the Decoder tab, select Decoder in the left pane, then scroll down to enable "MPEG in AVI" in the right pane. You can disable any other codecs that you want there. If they're giving you problems you can disable the DirectShow video and audio decoders if you want via Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video Decoder Configuration, and Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Audio Decoder Configuration.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi,

i opened the program and went to the decoder tab, then decoder options but i cant find were to enable mpeg in avi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffshow.gif
Views:	3337
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	12153where is it on the screen?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    where is it on the screen?
    You are on "Decoder options". Click on "Codecs".

Name:	ffdshow.png
Views:	2974
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	12154
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thank you, i found the option. I selected libavcodec and then i opened my file in virtualdub, i cut off the part i dont need, selected smart rendering and the bandicam mpeg codec for the compression and i still get this error:

unable to initialize the output video codec. Check that the video codec is compatible with the output video frame size and that the settings are correct or try a different one.

By the way, im using the virtualdub i already had, the 1.9.11 version. I didnt choose to install it when i installed ffdshow since i already had virtualdub.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    unable to initialize the output video codec. Check that the video codec is compatible with the output video frame size and that the settings are correct or try a different one.
    Did you select ffdshow as the encoder and set it to MPEG 1, one of the single pass modes?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Right now i have it like this

Name:	ffshow.gif
Views:	2913
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	12157

but i still get an error.. By the way, im choosing full processing mode. Should i choose something else?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The sample clip I downloaded from bandicam.com had the frame rate set as 30000000 / 1000000. That was probably causing a numeric overflow in VirtualDub or ffdshow's frame rate calculations. I used AviFrate to change it to 30000 / 1000 to eliminate that problem.

What's the frame size of the video you're working with? Maybe ffdshow has different frame size limitations. Stick with mod 16 whenever possible.

Yes, you should be using Full Processing mode and Smart Rendering.
    Last edited by jagabo; 25th Apr 2012 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The video has a bitrate of 4519 and a frame rate of 30fps. Size is 1920x1080. I just want to cut off the undesired parts but keeping the same quality and not spend time in recoding it. Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hello? please help with this...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tested some cuts on "Bandicam download sample" using VD Direct Stream Copy and no have any problems.

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 28th Apr 2012 at 03:29.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Hello? please help with this...
    The same, here. I could smart render using Bandicam sample and ffdshow-MPEG1 encoder, with fine results.

Which is exactly your drama?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. My problem is that i cant smart render. I have the same settings as in the picture of the post by jagabo. I get an error that says:

Unable to initialize the output video codec. Check that the video codec is compatible with the output video frame size and that the settings are correct or try a different one.

Sometimes i get also this one:

Cannot initialize smart rendering. The selected video codec is able to compress the video but cannot match the same compressed format.

i recorded my video using bandicam mpeg codec at 60% of quality. The video has a bitrate of 4519 and a frame rate of 30fps. Size is 1920x1080.Maybe you need to try out with my video to see better. Let me know if i should uploaded somewhere so you can see it.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Unable to initialize the output video codec. Check that the video codec is compatible with the output video frame size and that the settings are correct or try a different one.
    Like this?

Name:	smartrender_error.png
Views:	308
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	12215

It's because you are doing exactly what was said not to do. Pick another encoder, not BandMJPEG or other "decoder only" codec. Pick ffdshow (inside Vdub video compression window) and set it to MPEG1 as encoder (clicking Configure at the referred window).

As jagabo already said at #21.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Let me know if i should uploaded somewhere so you can see it.
    Upload some small part of your video to your own MyFiles area and put here the link. I'd have a look.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote