VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering about the xp support from microsoft. I did see that xp service pack 2 ended support in 2010.

I am running xp service pack 3 on my emachine single core desktop. I also have norton 360 running all the time and its updated.

Is this enough protection?

Is there any real reason to upgrade to vista or straight to 7?

I have vista on my dual core hp but that is an oem copy not a retail disc.

I have no desire or need personally to upgrade my emachine. I would only do so if the writing is on the wall for the end of service pack 3 support. If that would leave my computer more vulnerable to attacks than I would consider getting a retail copy of vista or 7.

So I guess my question is will Microsoft be supporting xp service pack 3 for the foreseeable future?

------------------

Also I'll have to check the computer requirements for vista and 7 to see if I can even run it realistically on my aging desktop. For my current situation it would be cheaper to upgrade the os then to buy a new pc.

And yes I know all about linux and everything but this is my daily use pc for everything from web surfing to photo printing to music downloads/burning. I know you can do all that on linux but I am too entrenched in windows to go to linux full time.
    --------------------

Edit - my desktop specs:

celeron 2.66ghz 1gb ram xp service pack 3 xp home edition
    emachines t2893

Edit 2 - here is win 7 home premium upgrade minimum requirements per the best buy website:

Minimum PC System Requirements PC Processor Type 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
    PC Processor Speed 1GHz
    PC System Memory 1GB RAM
    PC Hard Drive Space 16GB
    PC Additional Requirements Internet service required to access online features, DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

I have just a 1gb ram on the xp desktop. This is so old I don't know if it would accept 2gb ram. If it could it wouldn't be a problem to double it. And I have plenty of harddrive space.

Other question - can you do a full install even with an "upgrade" retail version of windows? - In other words if you had a blank drive can you do the full windows install with an upgrade retail disc?

-----------

Again please note I am in no rush to do this. I just want to be prepared if I have to.

Also how many licenses do you get with win 7 in general? It will say on the box if its for more than one pc right?
    Last edited by yoda313; 21st Apr 2012 at 09:58.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. XP SP3 support is scheduled to last about 2 more years.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/208800494

But really, what support do you need from Microsoft? Patches for critical vulnerabilities are all that's important. Even without that you could probably run for years without problems if you're careful. It's support from third parties that's important (drivers for hardware, antivirus, software).
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Apr 2012 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great! Thanks for the link jagabo. Any updated information? I did see that was an older article.

Also is there any word of a service pack 4 coming out?

If you check my edits I can easily run windows 7 on my current xp desktop EXCEPT for the ram limitation. It only has the minimum ram requirements.

I might look on microsoft.com for a system analyzer to see if it meets vista and 7. While I'm at it I might dig through the emachine website to see if I can boost the ram even more if I were to need to upgrade the os.

Thanks again.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. From the horse's mouth: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

I wouldn't spend any money on a computer that old. Save for a new computer -- or at least a new motherboard, CPU, memory combo.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I doubt there will be a SP4, I read an article a few years ago when SP3 was released that said this was the final SP. As long as you keep your anti-virus updated, use Chrome(IE8 is outdated) and have a firewall you should be safe after 8/2014. I have an XP laptop I plan on using for many years, I have a couple of old peripherals that don't work with 7.
    Here's the Windows 7 compatibility advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20
    Quote Quote  
  6. MS isn't likely to create an SP4. They don't want to make it easier for anyone to remain with XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wouldn't update an old machine that runs fine to win7. even after support ends you should be fine with norton 360 or similar and keep the software like your browsers/add-ons and email clients updated. there are millions of xp machines that will not be updated. i have a q6600 quad with cards in it that don't have vista/win7 drivers available so it will remain xp for as long as it lasts and maybe even if i have to replace it with another one. it's usually things like java and acrobat that get exploited not the o.s. lately.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah, build a new one that's powerful enough to run a VM. Install the VM's OS to a folder, and copy the folder to somewhere else in your computer, preferably a separate hard drive. Then do all your browsing in the VM. If it stuffs up, just delete the VM folder and restore a copy of it. Only takes a few minutes.

The only protection in my VM is SpywareBlaster and the Win7 firewall. Although I run MBam and SAS from time to time. Folders shared with the base OS are strictly limited to insulate the OS from the VM. I've burned down the VM folder a couple times for minor problems I probably could have fixed. It's just too easy to copy the backup folder and be back in business.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everybody.

I feel better about it now.

I did pass the win 7 upgrade check. All except the 1gig min ram (I do have 1 gig ram) I'm not concerned about if I were to go that route - I'd want to go to 2gb ram if the mobo would support it. Other than I can put win 7 on right now. I even have aero support if you believe it

I'm sure I'll be buying a new computer in the next two years. I just don't know when.

Also if they were to suddenly stop updates for xp sp3 today I do have a dual core vista pc I could press into daily service. I use that machine for video encoding and web video streaming and downloading. I use my single core for grunt work that doesn't need much power like basic surfing and word processing and the like.

Thanks again everyone.

I guess I was overreacting remembering there was a drop dead date for xp but got it mixed up which service pack it was.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.memorystock.com/memory/eMachineseMachinesT2893.html

Memory Upgrade for eMachines eMachines T2893 Computer, the eMachines eMachines T2893 Computer takes the PC2700 DDR SDRAM DIMMs Memory Type, and comes installed with 512 MB (removable) of Memory. You can upgrade your eMachines eMachines T2893 Computer to up to a maximum of 2.0 GB Memory, the system has 2 sockets to install Memory, already with 512 MB (removable) standard Memory installed. For best Computer performance use the maximum amount of allowed Memory per slot for your Computer.
    Choose the following Memory Upgrade for eMachines eMachines T2893 Computer.

Depending on the size of your hard drive ... create a 40 GB partition and install ... WIN 7 ... into it. When it is finished installing ... you will see a Boot Menu that will allow you to choose which Windows to boot into.

I use this method ... I've got some video editing programs that I like to use that wont work in WIN 7.

I also have a lot of Hard Drives ... 500 GB size ... and I like the way WIN XP does a search compared to the way WIN 7 does searches.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DDR PC2700 memory is getting relatively expensive (US$50 to $60 for 2 GB):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006040%2060...2%20x%201GB%29

I paid less than that for 16 GB of DDR3 1600 six months ago!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I remember paying $60 for 64 mb of sdram.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @lacywest - thanks for the info.

I have two half gig sticks in there now for a 1gig total. It is nice to know I can go to 2gb if I wanted. That way I could more comfortably run win7 if I were to decide to go that route.

And as for harddrive space I have two 150gb ide drives in there right now. Both are about half full. Mostly family photos and music. One is the boot drive and the other is a spare I don't really use but have it in there anyway.

@jagabo - thanks for the info on the prices. I won't be doing this anytime soon. Unfortunately that might mean it would be really counterproductive to double the ram on that pc. Especially since I'd need to buy two one gig sticks since I'm running two half gig sticks.

@johns0 - sdram? What is that? Is that similar to vacuum tubes????? (just kidding I still have a 386 laying around so I know about older technology - but I don't have anything older than a 386 so I'm not that old but I know a thing a two about the progression of tech)
    Quote Quote  
  14. When I told my buddy...
    Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 ending 4/8/2014
    His reply was who cares coz you can get FREE support AGAiN and AGAiN in cutting EDGE multi CORE technologies - AD (already!). It is KK ( I interpreted as OK!).

I guess, you Windows users are lucky to get multiple supports.
    Last edited by Bonie81; 21st Apr 2012 at 22:20.
    Quote Quote