VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Search PM
    Hi All,

    I have been struggling with this for a while now....

    I am trying to find an app that will do batch conversions of my library to MP4 (H264/AC3) format. I am looking for something that retains the frames of the original source as well as the audio channels. I don't want to alter these at all. Just a simple straight conversion of whatever it is to H264/AC3 MP4.

    I have played with quite a few apps that do batch conversions but they all seem to want a certain profile and for you to specify the frames and audio output. I want an app that reads the source settings and applies them to the destination, but convert the format.

    Is there anything out there like this? Am I just a complete n00b (No offense taken if I am).

    TIA
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DominionZA View Post
    Hi All,

    I have been struggling with this for a while now....

    I am trying to find an app that will do batch conversions of my library to MP4 (H264/AC3) format. I am looking for something that retains the frames of the original source as well as the audio channels. I don't want to alter these at all. Just a simple straight conversion of whatever it is to H264/AC3 MP4.

    I have played with quite a few apps that do batch conversions but they all seem to want a certain profile and for you to specify the frames and audio output. I want an app that reads the source settings and applies them to the destination, but convert the format.

    Is there anything out there like this? Am I just a complete n00b (No offense taken if I am).

    TIA
    Mike
    Are the files already h.264/AC3 and you just want to change the container to mp4?

    Describe the source files.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    You could try VidCoder. Use File->Enqueue multiple files and load all your files. Click settings, change to mp4, under video would I use constant quality, under audio can you change the codec auto passthrough to just copy the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Are the files already h.264/AC3 and you just want to change the container to mp4?

    Describe the source files.
    The source files are all random. I am wanting to do this on my entire collection. There are AVI, DivX, XVid, MKV, etc...

    So basically looking for something that will take these sources and turn them into H264/AC3 MP4's without setting up encoding for each and every one. I have a huge collection so will take forever if I have to fiddle with settings.

    I am not a stickler for a perfect conversion. As long as quality is retained as close as possible to the source I am happy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You could try VidCoder. Use File->Enqueue multiple files and load all your files. Click settings, change to mp4, under video would I use constant quality, under audio can you change the codec auto passthrough to just copy the audio.
    This sounds good. Only problem is the copy audio part.
    A lot of my MKV's are DTS and I want them to be converted to AC3 as my amp cannot handle DTS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    You could change to ac3(ffmpeg). But it's probably not the best dts to ac3 conversion...I guess you need an eac3to solution for that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You could change to ac3(ffmpeg). But it's probably not the best dts to ac3 conversion...I guess you need an eac3to solution for that.
    I am trying out VidCoder and it appears to be doing what I am after. I also selected AC3(ffmpeg) as you suggested. This may be just what I am looking for.

    With regards to your tip about eac3to, would I live my audio as DTS then once the conversion is done use this tool to convert the audio only?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Search PM
    Okay, I have just finished a test conversion of BattleGround.mkv from MKV to MP4 and retaining the original audio frames and channels and original video resolution.
    The conversion too 18 minutes (not bad for my office machine).
    MKV file size 3.4GB and MP4 1.3GB. Is this right? How can compression be so much?
    The quality looks fine however. Is this what I can expect going to MP4?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't need to shrink the video you can use mkvtomp4, it will copy the video and it can convert the audio to ac3. Only for mkv files then.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    If you don't need to shrink the video you can use mkvtomp4, it will copy the video and it can convert the audio to ac3. Only for mkv files then.
    I am happy with the shrinking. Will save me buying a new HDD anytime soon
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads