VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    embarrassed to ask - but im using tmpg video encoding mastering software to convert a mov file into mpeg2 prior to using the dvd authoring software to create a dvd

its been created as a 16:9 file but when i open in the encoding software, should i then chose the same aspect ratio to encode to - ie 16.9?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, if you want it to remain 16:9. One is to set the correct interpretation of the source/input footage (what you gave it), the other is to correctly set the output.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks cornacopia,

are you saying that even though when i open it up it seems to default to square pixel 1.1 if i know its 16.9, i have to change it to 16.9 and then change the output to 16.9 too?

and the strange thing is that when i open it up in tmpg, even though the orig video is 1024 x 576 it reads it as 720 x 576..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. How do you "KNOW" the original is 1024x576? Did you make it yourself? Without that firsthand knowledge, you are getting the specs from an app which MAY or MAY NOT be giving you correct info.

2. 1024x576 is a common description for the EQUIVALENT resolution of 16:9 PAL video, were it to have actually been using 1:1 PAR (which is not that common). This description is the nearest approximation given when being input a 720x576 non-square PAL signal which is supposed to be 16:9 DAR (PAR is 118:81). E.g. 704 * 118 / 81 = 1025.

3. Yes, that's what I was saying. At least, that's how it worked with original TMPGEnc MPEG2 encoder and with TMPGEnc DVD Author apps (many other apps work that way also)...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    excellent

i get it now

done what you've said, works well on dvd player/tv and pc
    really appreciated your help - thank you

re the 1024 x 576 - i read it from file properties in fcexpress and thats what the camera guy told me too - but as you say - best not assume
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by devdev View Post
    re the 1024 x 576 - i read it from file properties in fcexpress and thats what the camera guy told me too - but as you say - best not assume
    'nuff said. Very common to see Mac/QT/QT-based apps misquoting the resolution because of their DAR calculation "musical chairs"...

Glad it worked! Enjoy.

Scott
    Quote Quote