VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    i have been given a SD .mov file which is cuurently sitting on my mac

i had aimed to use tmpg enc and authoring sw which is on my pc to convert dvd but the file size of the orig file on the mac is too big (by 1 gb) to burn onto disc so that i can tx to pc for encoding etc.

im therefore trying to reduce file size by exporting to a smaller .mov file on fc express but cant seem to find right solution..

any suggestions??

ive tried loading my tmpg onto the mac but it doesnt seem to work by the way
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could try splitting the file into smaller pieces.

Either use AviDemux or a dedicated file splitter such as HJSplit.

http://www.hjsplit.org/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree with transporterfan. Use HJsplit and split the file into segments that will fit on your disc/sneakernet. Load the segments onto your PC, and then use HJsplit to re-combine them into the original file. DONE! Then Encode & Author as originally desired...

Scott

BTW, you may want to consider connecting your Mac & PC via Ethernet or Wireless LAN to avoid this hassle in the future...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could always get a cheap 1-4GB (or more) USB flash drive, too, if you want to move files between computers.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hi there thank you, re memory stick

the orig file if over 5gb and i do have it on a memory stick but the mac reads it and the pc doesnt.. is this because of the way its formatted?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in fact, i've tried to connect the portable hard drive with the .mov file to my pc but it simply invites me to reformat it everytime!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably. If it's formatted as HFS+, a Windows PC won't be able to read it (or recognize it) without additional software. Your best bet would be a flash drive formatted as FAT32 (there's NTFS, but if I remember correctly, Macs usually can't write natively to NTFS drives). Most USB flash drives are formatted by default (out of the box) as FAT32 (4GB and under) or NTFS (higher than 4GB) - also IIRC.

If you have a spare 5+ GB flash drive that you don't mind reformatting, you can try formatting it to FAT32 using... Disk Utility? (Sorry, haven't tried to format a flash drive on my Mac ).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fyi - i've now sorted ny installing macdrive 9 on pc which lets me read mac formatted portable hard drives.

worked very well
    Quote Quote