VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    Last edited by bahner; 18th Apr 2012 at 23:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Pro Audio To Go SUCKS
    Pro Audio To Go rip-off
    Pro Audio To Go garbage
    Pro Audio To Go identity theft
    Pro Audio To Go credit card scam
    Pro Audio To Go scam
    Pro Audio To Go drains the battery
    Pro Audio To Go security alert


    Did I forget any?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    Dare I ask for an explanation? Sounds pretty personal
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    You joined VideoHelp just to SPAM this app.....you didn't expect this did you?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    More detail needed on the "adapter". The video says it converts balanced XLR mics to unbalanced analog mic level. Similar "adapters" sell in the $50-150+ range.

    Why go though the analog input and how is this "48 KHz" CD quality digital audio? The analog input on a phone would be noisy.

    Alternate: The Audio Technica ATR2100-USB can connect to an iPad via USB and is seen by Garage Band or other audio apps. The path is digital. Total cost in the $49 range on Amazon. Downside is reported failure rate in user comments.
    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/b8dd84773f83092c/index.html

    Last edited by edDV; 17th Apr 2012 at 00:24.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    I don't work for the company nor am I paid or have any interest in their sales. I didn't intend to SPAM your forums but rather to see if anyone has heard of this app or used it for creating videos. That's all. Not the nicest first reply I must say...but you got your point across.

    I understand that's my first post and it looks as if I'm throwing this at you... I came on too strong haha My apologies. I'll edit it.

    However, I am using this forum just as anyone else in that Im looking to learn about creating videos. I myself am just learning and thought that this app would or could be able to get a decent recording to go along with my higher quality video from my DSLR (Nikon 3100).
    Just trying to gain everyone's general thoughts on recording with your iPhone.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    More detail needed on the "adapter". The video says it converts balanced XLR mics to unbalanced analog mic level. Similar "adapters" sell in the $50-150+ range.

    Why go though the analog input and how is this "48 KHz" CD quality digital audio? The analog input on a phone would be noisy.
    The XLR cord has a 3.5mm male end to connect to the phone, an XLR female end and a headphone jack. I think its under $30 so its on the lower end. Its in AIFF which you can send to your editing timeline via FTP or email and drop it in without a conversion.

    It doesn't support phantom power so there's no mic presets. It says it has EQ presets though. \

    I'm on the beginner side with audio so the above is pretty much what I learned from their website.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahner View Post
    I don't work for the company nor am I paid or have any interest in their sales. I didn't intend to SPAM your forums but rather to see if anyone has heard of this app or used it for creating videos. That's all. Not the nicest first reply I must say...but you got your point across.

    I understand that's my first post and it looks as if I'm throwing this at you... I came on too strong haha My apologies. I'll edit it.

    However, I am using this forum just as anyone else in that Im looking to learn about creating videos. I myself am just learning and thought that this app would or could be able to get a decent recording to go along with my higher quality video from my DSLR (Nikon 3100).
    Just trying to gain everyone's general thoughts on recording with your iPhone.
    http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2408272
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    hech54: I'm not denying anything here and I haven't been dishonest. I'm working on a school project and pretty much trying to find what markets this app works for.

    I'd be happy to discuss it further with you via pm as I'd like to keep this thread on topic. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahner View Post
    hech54: I'm not denying anything here and I haven't been dishonest. I'm working on a school project and pretty much trying to find what markets this app works for.

    I'd be happy to discuss it further with you via pm as I'd like to keep this thread on topic. Thank you
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahner View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    More detail needed on the "adapter". The video says it converts balanced XLR mics to unbalanced analog mic level. Similar "adapters" sell in the $50-150+ range.

    Why go though the analog input and how is this "48 KHz" CD quality digital audio? The analog input on a phone would be noisy.
    The XLR cord has a 3.5mm male end to connect to the phone, an XLR female end and a headphone jack. I think its under $30 so its on the lower end. Its in AIFF which you can send to your editing timeline via FTP or email and drop it in without a conversion.

    It doesn't support phantom power so there's no mic presets. It says it has EQ presets though. \

    I'm on the beginner side with audio so the above is pretty much what I learned from their website.
    There is more to it than that. A quality low level balanced XLR to unbalanced mini-jack "converter" needs transformer isolation from iPhone DC and level step up. The iPhone is designed for high level high impedance mics. The analog path is low quality.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE]There is more to it than that. A quality low level balanced XLR to unbalanced mini-jack "converter" needs transformer isolation from iPhone DC and level step up. The iPhone is designed for high level high impedance mics. The analog path is low quality.[/QUOTE]

    How much noise are we talking about here? I understand that you aren't going to use any mics that require phantom power but that doesn't mean all's lost does it?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    There is more to it than that. A quality low level balanced XLR to unbalanced mini-jack "converter" needs transformer isolation from iPhone DC and level step up. The iPhone is designed for high level high impedance mics. The analog path is low quality.[/QUOTE]

    How much noise are we talking about here? I understand that you aren't going to use any mics that require phantom power but that doesn't mean all's lost does it?[/QUOTE]

    Low level mics capped to iPhone will have high noise and distortion. Not "pro audio".
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    I see.

    So the ability to record at 24 bit/ 48kHz is only half the battle. Is that what the mic presets do; tune out distortion and noise?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bahner View Post
    I see.

    So the ability to record at 24 bit/ 48kHz is only half the battle. Is that what the mic presets do; tune out distortion and noise?
    I seriously doubt the iPhone analog mic input supports 24 bit A/D. Even if it did it would be capturing distortion and noise off a low level mic.

    You can find many articles on field recording via Google.
    http://www.ljclark.com/audio/audio-01.htm
    http://www.auditory.org/recorders.html

    The Zoom H1 ($89) is considered a good low cost performer.
    http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/handheld-audio-recorders/h1/
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...4640227&sr=8-1
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Search Comp PM
    Cool, Thanks.

    The Zoom has come up more than a few times in other discussions.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads