VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Gateway GT5220 computer. I want to upgrade just the cpu. It has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor 3800+. Will this cpu work?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103904&Tpk=AMD%20ATHLON%2064%20X2
    I think this is the cpu I have now.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103733
    I have the game LA Noire I want to play and don't really want to buy a new system at this time. If not I guess I'll load it on my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No.

If your current motherboard is a AM2 socket an AM3 CPU will not fit in it.

Google for the specs of your PC and you should be able to find out EXACTLY what mobo you have, what socket it is and what CPU is in it.

How old is the PC ?
    Because I doubt gateway would sell a PC with an AM3 mobo and only have a AM2 CPU.

EDIT:
    From what i found in a 30 second google search,
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006136R/4006136Rsp2.shtml
    AM2 socket.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the Gateway is using onboard graphics, then a new graphics card will benefit you more than a CPU upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You won't be able to play la noire without upgrading your cpu and video card but since your system is only am2 it will be hard to find an older quad core cpu,it will be easier just to get a system,won't be cheap as you want.

Unless you have a gaming laptop i doubt it will play la noir and if it did very slow.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It might be cheaper all the way around to get a used xbox 360 or ps3 and buy the game for that system. The game should be less than 30.00 now since its not a new release anymore.

I think you can get a xbox 360 for under a 150.0 used at gamestop. You would need at least a 20gb harddrive though. The 4gb models wouldn't really do you any good. It could play the games but if you wanted to get into any of the xbox live arcade games or any map packs and dlc you'd be out of space in no time. Harddrives should be cheap to get nowadays. For the older xboxs with the clam shell harddrives that snap on that is. THe newest slim model harddrives will still be relatively pricey.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for answering my post! I think I got the computer around 05 or 06. I know I should consider buying a new one. I have done some upgrades such as the upgrading to Windows 7 and the power supply and graphics card. I did find a AM2 cpu at this link.
    http://computerpartsdirect.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15222&cPath=13#googlebase
    It's more than I wanted to pay so I'll have to think about buying it or waiting and buying a new computer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, the Xbox 360 is another option. The cheapest option is to go ahead and load the game on my laptop. I wanted to load it on my desktop so that I could play it on my 22 inch monitor. My old eyes don't focus like they use to! My laptop does meet the requirements so it should play. Except for laptops the Gateway is going to be my last OEM computer I buy.
    Last edited by hudsonf; 15th Apr 2012 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hudsonf
    Yeah, the Xbox 360 is another option.
    Its probably the easiest. Less choices to consider and easy to acquire. - its available for the ps3 also but I think used ps3's are more than used xbox 360's....

I wanted to load it on my desktop so that I could play it on my 22 inch monitor.----My laptop does meet the requirements so it should play.
    This may be a dumb question but can't you hook your laptop up to your monitor? Or is it dvi only and you don't have dvi out on your laptop? You should have a dvi-vga adapter that came with your monitor - if not they should be dirt cheap online or at a radioshack or something.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Didn't think about hooking the laptop to the monitor. Too tired to try it tonight so maybe later this week.

edit: Just thinking how computer games can really hurt your head. I have an old game I can't finish because my computer is too fast and now I have a game I can't play because the computer is too slow.
    Last edited by hudsonf; 15th Apr 2012 at 20:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hudsonf View Post
    Didn't think about hooking the laptop to the monitor. Too tired to try it tonight so maybe later this week.
    Good luck. Let us know.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I decided to go ahead and start looking for a new computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if your current system is 6 years old you've done better than most who upgrade every 12-18 months. It used to be games were designed to run on what the majority had and the software companies worked hard on getting the best they could but now they give minimum specs to play a game and you are expected to match what they have decided is best for them

Personally, I have an Intel i5 2500k overclocked to 4Ghz, with GTX460 1GB GFX card and 16GB memory. But I built my system and kept the majority of the hardware as I have a huge Antec 1200 tower, and don't play many games anymore but did want to still play the odd ones when I feel like it. It still cost me around Ł600 as I also bought a huge air cooler as the intention was to overclock. This system does pretty much everything I ask or need and can upgrade the CPU as or when in the future, so should last me 2-3 years at least

I also use huge images in PhotoShop which is why its got 16GB memory, and also play the odd game, and don't have any problems any more where my old system would frequently run out of memory as it 'only' had 4GB and 'only' an Intel Q6600 running at 3Ghz. I know the GTX460 isn't the fastest, but for a 19" monitor its plenty fast enough to run everything I have tried, including Battlefield 3 with all settings on maximum. I'll upgrade to a 21" monitor when/if this one dies as its about 4 years old now and 21" is about the biggest I can fit in the space I have on this huge corner desktop/shelf system

A lot of system builders are offering the Intel i52500k overclocked to 4Ghz or faster for bargain prices, so you may need to shop around a bit for the best deals with a good GFX card and an absolute minimum of 4GB memory
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to go ahead and start looking for a new computer.
    Good decision. What's your budget like? I haven't built a new pc for myself for awhile now. Last one I built was with a AMD Athlon II X4 630 cpu. Haven't felt the need to build a faster computer system. Intel 2500K cpu is good one but pricey compared to the newer AMD cpu's. If I had my choice and the $$$ I'd build a new computer with a Intel 2500K cpu. Haven't read up on the benchmarks for the newer AMD cpu's. Although if I had to build a budget system I'd go with one of the newer AMD Quad or 6 core cpu's. I don't game so not sure if the newer AMD cpu's would be good enough for your game that you wanna play. Just my 2 cents!

Btw to all you reg members! I haven't been on here for a long time. Busy doing smartphone stuff! I do peek on here every once and awhile!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to go ahead and start looking for a new computer.
    Ok well at least we went through some options for you.

I won't be able to help on the computer front as I haven't bought a new computer in years also.

Good luck.

Don't forget if it gets too daunting for the computer search and you don't really need a new computer a used xbox 360 or ps3 is still a viable and most likely cheaper alternative (assuming playing games is your SOLE motivation - of course there aren't console ports of all pc games obviously nor are all console titles available on the pc but you live with compromises all the time right )
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm looking at a system with an i5 2320 processor, 6GB of memory, a 1TB hard drive and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit for $499.00. It's OEM so I'll swap the power supply with the one I put in my Gateway and up grade the video card with a GTX card.

quote: "Well, if your current system is 6 years old you've done better than most who upgrade every 12-18 months."
    Only because I've bought 3 laptops in the last 5 years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What brand if the computer system that you're looking at? Would you consider building your own computer?
    Quote Quote  
  17. The one I'm looking at is a Lenovo. I may go ahead and build my own system instead. It's been years since my last home built computer so I may be a little rusty. @ yoda313, I would like to find a good deal on a used Xbox 360 for streaming and game playing when we have family over. When I play games on my computer it's just me, the computer and what ever game I'm playing. I tune the rest of the world out and forget it even exist. While I'm on the subject of games; Does anyone know if it's possible to play older games on a newer computer. I would love to finish my Indiana Jones game but he moves so fast I can't control him.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TigerDirect usually has pretty good systems for CHEAP!!
    Probably cheaper than anyone else.

You just need to supply your own OS and usually a good vid card.

My son is running a tri-core 3.0ghz, EVGA GTS 450 superclocked vid card and 8gigs of DDR3 ram and he plays ALL current games and they run and look great on his 23.5 LED monitor.

$319.99*After Rebate
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2428843&CatId=332

Throw in a EVGA VId card,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625
    $114.99 after mail-in rebate

(Or a superclocked version for $10.00 more,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130629)

$434.98

The one you are looking at is more than that WITHOUT a vid card.
    But you still need to find a copy of W7 64bit, which you can find pretty cheap.

You would be AMAZED at how fast you would be able to convert vid's & you would have no problem playing current and any near future games.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ yoda313, I would like to find a good deal on a used Xbox 360 for streaming and game playing when we have family over.
    I might stay away from ebay since you wouldn't have any warranty options and you'd have to be 100% certain you could return it if something went wrong. Thats why I'd go with someplace like gamestop.

As much as I plug the xbox 360 if you want something just for movies and streaming its probably not the best choice. Even though it now has just about everything smart tv and bluray players have (sans actual bluray playback of course) its not a movie player first.

For games it works out great but if you are more into movies look into a wdtv live if you want streaming (I have a gen 1 wdtv so I can't stream with it but saving from youtube is not a big deal).

While I'm on the subject of games; Does anyone know if it's possible to play older games on a newer computer. I would love to finish my Indiana Jones game but he moves so fast I can't control him.
    Have you tried dosbox? I think there is a slowdown option for it.

Also do you mean the last crusade lucasarts adventure game? I love that. I got it from steam. I still haven't played it much but it was only a couple bucks when I bought it. I'll just fire it up to listen to the midi rendition of the indy theme

You know I had the 5 1/4" floppy version of that game? I don't know what happened to the floppies but I still have the manual somewhere. What I do have handy is its imitation GRAIL DIARY! Yep its a paperback reproduction of the movie Grail diary. Great stuff in it. I've never really "read" it but its a fun thing to have. It doesn't have a fake leather binder unfortunately just paper but its fun

---------------------------

Also regarding the fast playback I'd check into either dos on a virtual pc layout or to see if its feasible to dual or triple boot to dos - I don't know if you can do that reliably on a xp or newer machine. I guess also the killer would be getting video and sound card drivers to work. There has to be something.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The game is Indian Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. I was somewhere near the middle of the game when I stopped playing. I decided to take a break and by the time I decided to play again I had a new computer. I figured; no problem I'll reload the game and start over. Game loaded fine but when I tried playing it Indie was so fast I couldn't control him.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The game is Indian Jones and the Emperor's Tomb. I was somewhere near the middle of the game when I stopped playing. I decided to take a break and by the time I decided to play again I had a new computer. I figured; no problem I'll reload the game and start over. Game loaded fine but when I tried playing it Indie was so fast I couldn't control him.
    Here is something to try:

http://www.cpukiller.com/download.html

It's not free (30.00) but there's probably a trial for it. I bumped into it from a fansite for the old Grim Fandago lucasarts game.

Warning - I know nothing about the program or its creators. Maybe you could dig around cnet to see if there is something similar for free or if there is an independent review of this program.
    Quote Quote  
  22. There are many programs for slowing modern processors for older games (and other software). Just do a google search. For old DOS games you can run the game in DosBox where you can set the speed of the emulated CPU. DoxBox running Doom Demo:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/339237-Old-technology-running-on-new-equipment?p=21...=1#post2108691
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle

This is another one.

@jagabo - actually that particular indy game was for windows. It says it can do xp - here are the requirements from lucasarts website:

System Requirements ------------------- Operating Systems: Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP required. Computer: 100% DirectX compatible computer required. CPU: Pentium III 733 MHz or faster CPU required. Pentium III 1GHz or faster CPU recommended. Memory: 128 MB RAM required. 256 MB RAM recommended. Graphics Card: 32 MB Transform and Lighting (T&L) capable graphics card required. 64 MB Vertex and Pixel Shader (VS/PS) capable card recommended Sound Card: PCI, USB, or Onboard Audio Device required. CD-ROM: Quad Speed CD-ROM drive required. Input Device: Keyboard and mouse required. 8+ Button Gamepad supported. DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 8.1b is included on this CD. You will be prompted to install DirectX during installation of this game if a more recent version isn't already properly installed on your system. NOTE: DirectX may require the "latest" updates for your operating system. This may also include the latest drivers for your particular motherboard, sound and video hardware. Installation: Installation requires 1.75 GB of free hard drive space. We recommend that you have at least an additional 200 MB of free space available after installing the game for the Windows swap/page file and save games.

This is the cpu requirement - Pentium III 733 MHz or faster CPU required. Pentium III 1GHz or faster CPU recommended. So if you can get an app to emulate this power output you should get it to run smoother.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. I do like the idea of building my own system so I might give it a try. The last system I built from scratch was back in the Pentium days. When I find what I did with the disc for indie I'll try the two programs out.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @jagabo - actually that particular indy game was for windows.
    Yes, I know. I was just pointing out options for old DOS games.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I find what I did with the disc for indie I'll try the two programs out.
    Just thought I'd point out that should be indy with a "y" not an "ie"

Good luck on the system build however.

Originally Posted by jagao
    I was just pointing out options for old DOS games.
    Always good to know. Thanks.
    Quote Quote