VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. The .ts file is 25 fps as it should be. But you really must be aware that when you try other capture software, other than Wintv which probably default to 25 fps for Europe anyhow, you MUST ensure that frame rate is correct.

The latest captures are rather short to be certain that the herring-bone is now minimal (as it originally was)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys... Ive finally been able to get my capture working in Virtualdub, and ive capture these few clips for you to judge
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 1.avi (90.61 MB, 36 views)
    • File Type: avi 2.avi (97.32 MB, 33 views)
    • File Type: avi 3.avi (79.56 MB, 33 views)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Im trying to capture a little bit in virtualdub to see if there is any sync problems here...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I found where i can change the settings in virtualvcr but if i want to change framerate, i need to set frame size also... then i change it to 25 fps and 720x576 and then it falls and says it cant change video settings?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    I found where i can change the settings in virtualvcr but if i want to change framerate, i need to set frame size also... then i change it to 25 fps and 720x576 and then it falls and says it cant change video settings?
    That's weird. 720x480 29.97 is for NTSC video, 720x576 25 fps is for PAL. If the software won't let you change to the correct frame rate you can probably fix your AVI caps using AVIFrate to set the frame rate to 25.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVIFrate
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm the video i captured in virtual i cant play? it says im missing HCW2 codec?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    Hmm the video i captured in virtual i cant play? it says im missing HCW2 codec?
    Set VirtualDub to compress with lagarith.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    VLC deinterlaces poorly by default unless you continuously re-set it for a better method.
    It uses whatever you set under Tools > Preferences > Video. (or where ever it sits in the latest version).

Problem is, that's a global value. Ideally, I'd like different defaults on different file types / resolutions. Haven't found a solution for that yet. Haven't looked that hard really!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    Hey guys... Ive finally been able to get my capture working in Virtualdub, and ive capture these few clips for you to judge
    HCW2 codec?! Not much use to those without Hauppauge installed.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Using a SCART to composite adapter is exactly the same as a composite to composite connection. Just the shape of the connectors is different.
    OK, I see what you're saying. I just always mistrust "adapters".

The switch is composite when set in the other position. On a SCART connector the s-video luma pin is the same pin as composite video. There has to be a switch to tell the device whether to send s-video or composite to the SCART connector. The receiving device will have a similar switch. Ie, you can't send composite and s-video at the same time over SCART, it's one or the other, determined by a switch.
    Right, thanks for clarifying there. I was wondering, "Say, whatever happened to the composite switch?" Now I know. Still, I gathered from the manual that this setup works properly only from SCART to SCART, as least as far as this model VCR is concerned. But I get what you mean.

The manual also states that the only type of SCART cable that should be used is a fully-wired (emphasized) 21-pin SCART cable from SCART-to-SCART. I don't think an SCART "adapter"will work properly.
    Because if you use a SCART to SCART cable with only the composite and ground pins connected you will get a black and white picture when set to s-video, and no picture at all if you attempt to use RGB.
    I see.

Of course, it's still possible the SCART cable + adapter + composite cable is the source of some of the noise because it's that much more hardware and cabling between the source and destination. But the situation isn't comparable using a passive s-video to composite adapter (with just a capacitor) because with the SCART adapter s-video isn't converted to composite. The source device is already sending composite.
    Not comparable, OK thanks for that as well. But some of these adapters...well, as I said I'm always leary of them. I can understand their use, but I'd say that the most direct and least complicated connection would be preferable.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Asesinato View Post
    That's weird. 720x480 29.97 is for NTSC video, 720x576 25 fps is for PAL. If the software won't let you change to the correct frame rate you can probably fix your AVI caps using AVIFrate to set the frame rate to 25.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVIFrate
    Hm. I haven't had VirtualVCR on my setup in a long while, but isn't there an "NTSC" vs "PAL" selection in there somewhere? I'm thinking, if you've told VirtualVCR you're working NTSC and try to change other settings to resemble PAL, you'd see such a message. But I don't remember, it's been too long since I tried VirtualVCR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    VLC deinterlaces poorly by default unless you continuously re-set it for a better method.
    It uses whatever you set under Tools > Preferences > Video. (or where ever it sits in the latest version).

Problem is, that's a global value. Ideally, I'd like different defaults on different file types / resolutions. Haven't found a solution for that yet. Haven't looked that hard really!
    That's what I mean. Pain in the neck. At least they give you the options. Many others don't. It's still a pain, and the newest versions have imbedded those choices even farther down in sub-menus. I'll sue!
    Quote Quote  
  13. In virtualvcr you must use "custom settings" (video tab) 720x576; yuy2; 25.000 f/sec
    compression: huffyuv ("predict left" for realtime capture)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, themaster1. Now that I see it, some of that VirtualVCR experience is coming back to me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I cant choice yuy2... Only rbv32 or ???? Options. And the huffyuv codec i cant install. Nothing happens when i try
    Quote Quote  
  16. You also have to use "use smart Tee for preview" in settings.
    Try with lagarith (yuy2) if huffyuv don't work but i'm not a fan (takes more resources)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    The master it fails... says : Cannot Set Video Format: E_FAIL : 80004005
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    But there's still one more important question for asesinato: does that cross-hatch or herringbone noise appear on other tapes besides the wedding tape ? ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    sanlyn > I wrote about that longere up
    Ive just run a commercial tape and the noise isnt there... So its on the tape
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I cant choice yuy2 as you can see from picture one, there isnt that option... and from picture 2 you can see the error i get when i try and replay the new settings
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	174
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	11999  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	166
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	12000  

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    The AVIfrate helped on the sync problems... But when i typed 25000 it didnt give a framerate on 25 fps but 24, something
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    24,975 fps is the framerate now
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    I have to put in 25025 to get a fps at 25,000
    Quote Quote  
  24. Getting the exact frame rate you want in AVIFrate is tricky. First enter 1 in the Scale box, then a 25 in the Rate box. That should give you exactly 25.000.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah that worked... And now the sync is perfect
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm no its not perfect Still out of sync, but not as much as before...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    But i think i know why, ill just try something... will get back to you in 2 min
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Sync is fixed...

Virtualvcr tells me that the audio stream need to be delayed in 316 ms
    So i change framerate in avirate to 25 fps, and open virtual and delays audio 316 ms, and now it is completly in sync... So jubiii
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    So what do you guys think, should i go ahead and capture in Lagarith avi in virtualdub, change framerate to 25 and remember to add the audio delay in virtualdub when cleaning it after, or should i capture in Wintv that captures in .ts but has no framerate problems and no sync problems??
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    and do you guys think i need to adjust more in the setting of contract brightness saturation hue and sharpness on the wintv card or has i gotten those settings right?
    Quote Quote