VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,
    I am having a weird problem with my C drive. The set the conversation bar for responses, I am an advanced Windows user. I am a database system developer by trade. This issue has me and all my nerdy friends stumped. This is a long one please stay with me.

I have a 500GB WD Black drive. There are 4 partitions 1x100MB (windows installer put there), 1x450GB, (the main Windows and program files disk), and the remaining two are my Linux install.

The 450GB partitoin is where the problem exists. For some reason when I do network file transfers from the problem PC to another device/PC on my network the following happens:

Small file transfers work as you would expect. I drag a small <2GB file from my problem system to a share on the network. The file copies, no problem.

I grab a bunch of <2gb files, lets say 10 of them and drag and drop to a share on the network. They start to copy, I can see them appear on the receiving share. For some reason the C drive on the problem machine looses the same amount of free space as the size of the large file transfer.

So if I try to transfer 40GB of files from, lets say local F: to network X:, the files copy across the network but I have 40GB less free space on C.

So, as I have lots of huge video files like all of you, I recently tried to copy 140GB of video files across the network. My C drive had 150GB of free space. The originating files were on my E: drive which is a seperate internal physical disk. The transfer never finished. I got an error saying that C is out of disk space.

Disk manager reports the C drive full. If I open C in Explorer and select every folder in the root and select peoperties, the file and folder count add up to 250GB. CHKDSK says also the drive is full and has no errors.

I have scoured the drive to find a temp directory or cash that may have somehow buffered the transfer but found none.

I emptied Deleted Items and TMP files.

I defraged the drive.

System restore is not enabled on my system.

No "offline" cacheing is enabled.

No virus is on the machine.

There is 140GB of ghost files on this machine that the disk manager reports but Windows Explorer does not see. And, yes, I do have hidden files visible in Explorer.

The problem does not happen in Linux on the same machine. So that pretty much eliminates a hardware problem.

Please help! This system is crippled.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    as far as the hidden files that can't be found...i.e...the 140 gb's of stuff....what I would do is download and install auslogics disk defrag and "analyze" the affected drive....after that you can click on the little squares and see at the bottom of the window what file it is and the corresponding location...with that you should be able to see where the files are at(even hidden ones) and try and go there and delete...the other issues i'm lost on that one....i'm sure you'll get some responses in here shortly on that one...sounds like they may be stuck in the TEMP folder...hmmm
    Quote Quote