VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello, sorry if i get the wrong topic forum
    i have an AC Ryan DVR, so i record stuff from TV using it
    the file is recorded on MPEG-2 format

but when i want to put it to DVDs i encounter problem, because these recordings are somehow Copy-Protected
    so when i want to Re-Record using a DVD Recorder, it wouldn't record

when i cut and edit with my computer, and want to use some software to make into DVD, it wouldn't work

when i try to convert it to other format (MKV), it still give the same problem

the bottom line is, this copy-protected thing is there
    and i believe there is no setting on the DVR to turn it off
    so i can play it again to watch, but cannot make DVD from it

is there any software to get rid of this copy-protection thing so i can make it into DVD?

thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the digital revolution. Your entire setup has been carefully designed to prevent you from doing what you want to do. There is no workaround. You can try feeding your DVR's output thru a Hauppauge HD PVR and into your PC (but you have to buy the PVR to try it out). At this stage, it likely won't work. In the future you could use the component outputs from your cable box (if your cable company hasn't disabled them) to record thru the Hauppauge product into your PC, directly to HD (BluRay). The Hauppauge unit ignores most copy protection schemes. The downside is, the PC you record to needs better edit and authoring software (some of which is free), and a good DVD/BluRay burner. Another problem: if you want to record something at 2:30 AM, you leave your PC running all night.

The first thing you'll notice when working these videos on your PC is that the HD from your cable provider is a lot better than the old VHS (and will probably look better thru component than thru HDMI), but it's a long way from a retail DVD or BluRay. Another benefit of the digital revolution was to increase profits by broadcasting at low bitrates.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 21:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bedfordfalls8000 View Post
    the bottom line is, this copy-protected thing is there
    and i believe there is no setting on the DVR to turn it off
    so i can play it again to watch, but cannot make DVD from it
    Even worse, when that DVR breaks you'll find all your recordings were locked to that particular DVR. All your recordings will be worthless.

Originally Posted by bedfordfalls8000 View Post
    is there any software to get rid of this copy-protection thing so i can make it into DVD?
    I haven't yet found any. The only workaround is through the analog hole.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Apr 2012 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    The first thing you'll notice when working these videos on your PC is that the HD from your cable provider is a lot better than the old VHS (and will probably look better thru component than thru HDMI), but it's a long way from a retail DVD or BluRay. Another benefit of the digital revolution was to increase profits by broadcasting at low bitrates. The low bitrate artifacts can be really ugly at times.
    All true. And if you're a serious video hobbyist, that low bitrate cable stuff will only get more painful as you gain experience.

I use my Hauppauge HD-PVR more for time-shifting and less for saving videos to edit and archive, the reverse of what I thought I would do when I bought it. If something comes out on Blu-Ray that I think is worth having, I end up buying it.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Out of curiosity what kind of anti-copy protection do they use in these DVR (never had one so..)
    If it's macrovision it could be easy i believe
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Out of curiosity what kind of anti-copy protection do they use in these DVR (never had one so..)
    The data on the drive is encrypted with something like RC5.

Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    The analog output is protected by the line 20 CGMS flag. Yes, some "video clarifiers" can eliminate that flag.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Out of curiosity what kind of anti-copy protection do they use in these DVR (never had one so..)
    Macrovision is part of it. But you can dub using a hauppauge hd pvr. I have many times with my motorola dvr from comcast.

The other part is a file encryption that would make the recorded show garbage if you somehow managed to copy it off the harddrive. I'm pretty sure that type of encryption is essentially unbreakable. At least for the average video person.

I'm sure you can also dub using a dvd recorder. However your mileage may vary. It depends on how sensitive it is to any flags the dvr might have. THe hauppauge hd pvr does pretty much ignore most if not all of those types of flags. Of course thats real time analog dubbing. And you might not be able to use the component cables if your provider has disabled them. That should still leave rca or svideo for outputs however.

edit - jagabo strikes first again!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote