Thread
  1. Guest34343
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    certainly it's because the news have no actual importance at all
    +1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed the Windows 8 consumer preview to take a look. I might use it if I got a tablet and it might also be good for an HTPC. I'm not enjoying the new user interface for a desktop computer. I was thinking about going with Windows 8 for my next build, but unless the App store becomes a must, I probably won't do it.

My thoughts about using it for a desktop or laptop are as follows.

The good:
    1. Supposedly better security.

2. All the my hardware that works using Windows 7 also works for Windows 8.

3. I haven't tried all the programs I'm using with Windows 7 yet, but those I have tried still work.

The bad:
    1. Installation did not go as planned. I could not do an upgrade install to the consumer preview from inside Windows 7. I had to do a full install. The installer said my CPU was incompatible. However when I checked with Coreinfo, my CPU does meet all requirements. It is likely that my motherboard's BIOS does not have NX support (there is no way to for a user access NX or "Security"), and it always misconfigures that CPU feature.

2. I don't like using the start menu and desktop on separate screens and I don't like the Metro interface for the start screen. I installed Start8 to have a Start menu again and keep my sanity. However, it is difficult to avoid the Start screen entirely. I frequently found myself back at the Start Screen after running a Metro App from the desktop.

3. Metro apps open full screen, and can't be closed with one click. It is possble to drag and drop one Metro app to the right edge to use another Metro app at the same time on the left side of the screen, or to use the desktop on the left side. To do the equivalent of closing Metro apps, you must drag and drop from the top edge of the screen to the bottom.

4. Many of the default programs for opening various types of files are Metro apps. Desktop PC users will want to change the default program association for many types of files to programs that are more suitable for the Windows desktop.

5. Windows 8 includes no software that will play DVDs. Yes, I know... Members of this website never use Windows Media Player, but my sister does, so I test with WMP.

6. I found a a way to download and use Windows Media Center for the preview, but it is not included with Windows 8. Windows Media Center will be a paid add-on for Windows 8 users. Windows Media Center can play DVDs.

Neither good nor bad:
    1. No more Aero. There is just a translucent border instead.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Sep 2012 at 16:05. Reason: Fix typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Members of this website never use Windows Media Player, but my sister does, so I test with WMP.
    Actually I admit I do use wmp. However I only use it for music and I only use it on one of my computers. I use it on my older single core xp computer. Reason being its an older version of wmp that i haven't updated yet and it seems to use less cpu power to operate than something like zune or itunes. Plus for music at least it is fairly decent. I use it to rip and burn (ok I actually rip with zune but I burn with wmp and listen to mp3s with wmp).

But you're right for video I don't. I use mpchc most of the time on both of my computers. THough I really don't watch discs on either computer. Just video files. I use actual dvd players or my game consoles for disc playback (an xbox 360 and a ps3).

Sorry for going off topic there but thought I'd throw it out there.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    Members of this website never use Windows Media Player, but my sister does, so I test with WMP.
    Actually I admit I do use wmp. However I only use it for music and I only use it on one of my computers. I use it on my older single core xp computer. Reason being its an older version of wmp that i haven't updated yet and it seems to use less cpu power to operate than something like zune or itunes. Plus for music at least it is fairly decent. I use it to rip and burn (ok I actually rip with zune but I burn with wmp and listen to mp3s with wmp).

But you're right for video I don't. I use mpchc most of the time on both of my computers. THough I really don't watch discs on either computer. Just video files. I use actual dvd players or my game consoles for disc playback (an xbox 360 and a ps3).

Sorry for going off topic there but thought I'd throw it out there.
    It looks like Windows 8's Media Player is still fine for music, music CDs, and burning, although I haven't tried playing a CD or burning one yet.

[Edit] It's definite. CD support is still there. I loaded a CD in my optical drive, and I could play it. The options for ripping and burning were available too.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Sep 2012 at 23:36. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, apparently microsuxxxoft wants everybody to go thru the "Windows H8 Experience",
    I've just revisited some pages on their site, and I haven't liked what I've found ¬¬
    I mean, why the devil a web page should (try to) look like a Windows 8 screenshot
    For example, and to begin with,

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

and

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/default.aspx
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 21st Oct 2012 at 08:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    we.are.the.Bm8G. . .
    your.non-technologicalness.will.be.added--no.(removed).from.our.*new*.collective.mind. . .

no..i don't want to.

please.comply.
    no..
    resistance.is.futal. . .
    you.(we).will.be.assimul8'ed! ! !

no. no, we won't!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So windows 8 is going to be released in about 12 hours 30 minutes as of now,I'm set to buy it at midnight and install it after i download it,anyone else gonna do the same?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I'll be installing soon, don't know that it'll be tonight though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in no hurry to install Win8.

Maybe in a couple of years, maybe never.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have to have it right away due to service calls and i gots to know about windows 8.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm going to download and do a clean install tonight. I've been using the release preview and so far I'm pleased with it. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I couldn't scan with my HP Officejet 6500 printer. HP finally released the drivers and software the other day.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I now have windows 8 64 pro installed and tweaked it so i have my start button,quick launch and auto arrange disabled,it runs very good,i tried an upgrade retaining all my files and setting but got a power state error message when i was setting up windows 8 for the first time.

It then did a restore of my windows 7,i then did a clean install and it worked ok,it doesn't erase any files such as if you made a games folder on c drive,it will still be intact and the windows 7 is in a old.windows folder.

You can't reformat windows 7 or previous windows because it has to be installed in windows for the upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't reformat windows 7 or previous windows because it has to be installed in windows for the upgrade.
    On my puny Acer Revo I only have a 64GB SSD (no other internal drive) and did a clean install with format from USB. The W8 Pro 'upgrade' gave me the option to install live as upgrade, install later from desktop or create bootable install media. Since the live upgrade required 20GB free and I didn't have that with W7 installed I chose #3 and put it on a USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can choose to reformat within the Windows 8 installer. It does have to see a qualifying product at the beginning. What happens if somethings wrong is still up in the air. Every site I have looked at so far talking about a clean install has a qualifying product there to start with. None has been an actual blank disk as you could do with Windows 7 via the double install trick. The double install may not work this time because Windows 8 supposedly can only be upgraded to Win 8 Pro buy a Key and may not allow the Win 8 Pro Upgrade to be used as you could with Wind 7.

Paul Therot's Windows Supersite covers the clean install option.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

Ethelred Hardrede
    Quote Quote  
  15. What's this friggin rush to install Win8? I can see if you are a computer repair person, you might do it to get the experience, but to just install it because it is new doesn't make sense to me. Let someone else work out the bugs that are sure to appear.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    What's this friggin rush to install Win8? I can see if you are a computer repair person, you might do it to get the experience, but to just install it because it is new doesn't make sense to me. Let someone else work out the bugs that are sure to appear.
    I only installed the release preview, but I wanted to see what Windows 8 was really like, not rely solely on reviews. I'll probably keep it around for another month or two. Even some grownups like playing with new toys.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I am hoping Microsoft offers the kind of deal they offered for Vista right before Windows 7 was released, a free upgrade to Windows 8 with the purchase of Windows 7, within a specified period of time.
    I'm kinda hoping for the opposite - that they will allow a free upgrade to Windows 7 with the purchase of Windows 8.

I knew it would be pretty bad from seeing screenshots, and a couple of brief plays with the beta. We tried a final at work today, and it met with universal hatred. We expected bad, but it's worse than bad, it's truly execrable. No consistency between the metro and desktop interfaces, it takes three times as long to do common tasks on a non touch-screen system, and the metro layout and colour scheme seems designed to appeal to a three year old. And awful interfaces aside, what's with removing media centre and the ability to play DVDs?

Microsoft has managed to do something that Apple never succeeded in doing - make me definitely want an Apple box instead of a Windows box for my next upgrade. And that's saying something - I typically dislike Apple.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Chopmeister: From what I have saw from watching reviews and demos over at YouTube; Windows 8 will ruin the Desktop experience. I am hoping that Windows 7 computers are going to be around for a long time to come.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I am hoping Microsoft offers the kind of deal they offered for Vista right before Windows 7 was released, a free upgrade to Windows 8 with the purchase of Windows 7, within a specified period of time.
    I'm kinda hoping for the opposite - that they will allow a free upgrade to Windows 7 with the purchase of Windows 8.

I knew it would be pretty bad from seeing screenshots, and a couple of brief plays with the beta. We tried a final at work today, and it met with universal hatred. We expected bad, but it's worse than bad, it's truly execrable. No consistency between the metro and desktop interfaces, it takes three times as long to do common tasks on a non touch-screen system, and the metro layout and colour scheme seems designed to appeal to a three year old. And awful interfaces aside, what's with removing media centre and the ability to play DVDs?

Microsoft has managed to do something that Apple never succeeded in doing - make me definitely want an Apple box instead of a Windows box for my next upgrade. And that's saying something - I typically dislike Apple.
    I wrote that before I tried Windows 8. I simply wanted the option to upgrade inexpensively if it turned out that Windows 8 was something I really wanted. The downgrade option does exist with some Windows 8 Pro licenses, but apparently not all of them. I'm still not clear on the particulars.

After I did install Windows 8 and try it out, I did express a similar negative opinion regarding Windows 8's split personality in a couple of Windows 8 threads here. I like Windows 8 better with the latest version of Classic Shell installed, which allows users to mostly avoid interacting with the Start Screen unless they want to. I would be interested in using Windows 8 for a tablet with a touchscreen or an HTPC with a touchpad, but not a desktop, unless some really terrific Windows 8 apps are released.

[Edit]Windows DVD Maker is gone as well. From what I hear, Media Center was removed because only a small percentage of Windows users make use of it. ...and there are fees associated with licensing various bits of technology associated with playing DVDs and various other types of video, plus the EU tends to sue Microsoft over anything Microsoft decides to include for free.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Oct 2012 at 11:48.
    Quote Quote  
  20. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the LOLz...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AOL-VS-WINDOWS-8.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	14717  

Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm... 1996, I recall I installed Windows NT 4 as soon as it was released that year

Even though I have upgraded my main PC to windows 8 (+Classic shell) I will keep the Windows 7 on the other.
    Top 10 ways to amuse a geek:
    1. Make a list of the top 10 ways to amuse a geek.
    10. Use binary.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ofbarea View Post
    hmm... 1996, I recall I installed Windows NT 4 as soon as it was released that year
    That's not anything to brag about.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    That's not anything to brag about.
    It was painful to provide remote support from home with those horrible modem connections...
    Because of that, using the GUI was impossible, so everything we did on Windows was done in the command line.
    Top 10 ways to amuse a geek:
    1. Make a list of the top 10 ways to amuse a geek.
    10. Use binary.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I don't mind Windows 8.1. It is a little bit different than 7, especially with the apps and different start menu thing. It's not hard to get used to though.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Marsia Mariner
    Time for a little BUMP, me thinks.

User-made Patch Enables Windows 7/8.1 Updates for Kaby Lake and Ryzen Systems.

http://www.eteknix.com/user-made-patch-enables-windows-78-1-updates-kaby-lake-ryzen-systems/

and

https://github.com/zeffy/kb4012218-19
    Quote Quote