VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I just bought a new PC with Windows 7 64bit and when I install the new versions of MediaInfo it installs Opencandy, needless to say my AV and spyware programs give me a warning. I look at past versions and there's a long list, what version of MediaInfo will work with 64bit but doesn't have Opencandy?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The portable version?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Baldrick, I download 07.34_Windows_x64_WithoutInstaller7z and it works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Call http://mediainfo.sf.net and click "download now". You automatically get the x86 or x64 version, depending on your system. When installing MI you can deselect installation of OpenCandy or toolbars or whatever is included with the setup.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by leghorn View Post
    Call http://mediainfo.sf.net and click "download now". You automatically get the x86 or x64 version, depending on your system. When installing MI you can deselect installation of OpenCandy or toolbars or whatever is included with the setup.

I did use that website and it automatically installed OpenCandy, there was no way of opting out. I know SourceForge needs money but installing adware is wrong, I'm happy with the portable version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm...never had such issues
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    after downloading the program, when run the installer for the latest version seems to try and go online and download something else. block it or go offline during the install and it will crash and only mediainfo will install.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. I upgraded MediaInfo to the latest version the other day. After running the installer there was indeed a little pause while I assumed it went online to look for the adware it should ask to install. When it went to the next installation page there was option to deselect the installing of the addition adware. I deselected it all (can't remember exactly what it was) and MediaInfo installed without the extra crap. There's no need to go offline while installing though, you're given the option to "opt out".

When running installers these days, even ones for freeware programs, it pays to look at what they're asking to install before just hitting the "next" button.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just did the latest update also. Yeah, it gives some radio buttons to "opt out." Even though I opted out, it did a sneaky install of a software player I never heard of nor wanted. Malwarebytes showed some Adware tracker trojan or something when I scanned. That's how I knew the player was there. I had to uninstall the player, then clean the crap off with Malwarebytes anti-malware, involving a system reboot. That's hardly user friendly. I'm going portable from now on.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I updated too but didn't notice anything unusual, where did you find this player?
    Quote Quote  
  11. UPDATE:
    The website doesn't say "We use OpenCandy" anymore, it now says "Ad Supported".

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Bundled
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed it 30 seconds ago after my eariler version went nuts with my XP SP3 update. I didn't see anything about installing anything else...just mediainfo. After a restart, it now works properly on my system.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i was just about to install this but reading this thread made me nervous. Should i just use something else? Ive used media info for a long time and i really like it but i dont want this adware crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try using the 'portable' versions linked to on VideoHelp's Tools page, if you're concerned. (Or download them from MediaInfo's homepage.) Most of the concern has been over the installer, at least as far as I've seen.

With the portable version, you can either set up SendTo links to it (use SendTo to feed video/audio files to MediaInfo for analysis) or the option in the menus to create 'open with' right-click options for video and audio files.

I've been using it with a number of systems, and haven't had any problems with it, yet. Granted, I don't always update it, but it still hasn't given me any problems (that I've noticed).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I also have just tried to install the latest updated version of mediainfo from their website and my avg blocked the installer exe because of the adware. So I will just keep using the version I have instead, which I downloaded from sourceforge instead of the mediainfo site. The version I use currently and probably will stick with is MediaInfo 0.7.68 64bit windows 7 home premium.

This link should be helpful, just choose what version you want:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/files/binary/mediainfo/

Good Luck!
    ----> adamf9898 ---->
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Yes, I noticed that too.

Anyone knows of a good open source alternative?
    Quote Quote  
    1. MediaInfo does still come with OpenCandy. This is as of the latest release (0.7.72.0). OCSetupHlp.dll is extracted during install.
    2. Many programs accept the /NOCANDY switch when installing. So, you run the executable from the command-line with /NOCANDY appended (ie "C:\MediaInfo-GUI-0.7.72.0-x64-x86.exe /NOCANDY"). This works with MediaInfo. I confirmed it by doing a normal install with Malwarebytes running and it detected the OpenCandy DLL file during the process. When using the /NOCANDY switch Malwarebytes never made a peep.
    3. Lazy people who may forget what programs use OpenCandy or don't even know might want to check out Unchecky to block OpenCandy. The DLL will still be extracted but it uses the hosts file and other things to avoid installation of unwanted extras.

OpenCandy can be annoying, yes, but it's avoidable and given that you can do so then there's no reason to ditch MediaInfo, IMHO. It's simply too useful and I don't think other similar programs come close.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by HemLok; 12th Jan 2015 at 22:48.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The portable version of MediaInfo doesn't install adware. At least not as far as I'm aware. Just download, upzip it (usually in a location where it'll remain such as a subfolder of Program Files etc) and run MediaInfo.exe. The first time it runs it'll offer to install the Windows Explorer right click extension and set the default viewing mode, and that's it.

Most people would want one of the GUI versions. Either "32 bit only without installer", or "64 bit only without installer". You can find them by following the "other versions" link on the main MediaInfo page, or this should get you there.
    http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows

PS. The MediaInfo GUI has a button on the menu bar that's a link to a website so it's advertising of sorts (the same might apply to the "installed" version anyway, but I don't know) however it's just another item on the menu bar and nothing intrusive.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 13th Jan 2015 at 12:26.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    OpenCandy can be annoying, yes, but it's avoidable and given that you can do so then there's no reason to ditch MediaInfo, IMHO. It's simply too useful and I don't think other similar programs come close.
    When you install MediaInfo (the normal way) there is no option to deselect this crap, people are forced to install this.
    That is unethical.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hmm, I just checked and the portable version I use dates from 2011. Am I missing anything by not updating MediaInfo?

And a related question:
    Since you can enable the right-click extension in a portable version, why would anyone want/need an installer version?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Yes, I noticed that too.

Anyone knows of a good open source alternative?
    Mediainfoxp.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    I noticed that MediaInfo is open source that implies we are allowed to redistribute it without the mandatory crapware.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    When you install MediaInfo (the normal way) there is no option to deselect this crap, people are forced to install this.
    That is unethical.
    You certainly can opt-out, but the accept/not accept dialogue is deceptive if you don't pay close attention.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    That is unethical.
    You certainly can opt-out, but the accept/not accept dialogue is deceptive if you don't pay close attention.
    How?

This is what I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mediainfo.jpg
Views:	4501
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	29694

(red underline by me).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

How?

This is what I get:

[Attachment 29694 - Click to enlarge]

(red underline by me).
    Yes, you must agree to install MediaInfo in order to install MediaInfo -- duh.
    Scroll down to item 3 in that agreement and you will see you are under no obligation to install 3rd party software.
    Continue your installation and you will find the opt-out dialogue.

Maybe you should get an engineer to read it to you.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search PM

How?

This is what I get:

(red underline by me).
    Yes, you must agree to install MediaInfo in order to install MediaInfo -- duh.
    Scroll down to item 3 in that agreement and you will see you are under no obligation to install 3rd party software.
    Continue your installation and you will find the opt-out dialogue.
    The agreement you have to agree to includes accepting Open Candy.

"B. Software distribution network End User License Agreement

Date of last revision: March 7, 2012
    PLEASE READ THESE TERMS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE. BY AGREEING TO THESE TERMS YOU ARE GRANTING US PERMISSION TO PROVIDE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND THE TERMS OF OUR PRIVACY POLICY."

Maybe you should get an engineer to read it to you.
    I wonder, did you actually read it?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is unethical.
    How?

This is what I get:

(red underline by me).
    You are right. I installed to show you the options page that you missed and it didn't show up. Instead it said it was finished installing. The sad part is that in the Read Me file, it states that it is freeware, not adware.

I ran Superantispyware and Avast with nothing found. Opened Malwarebyte which updated but could not run with is strange cause I just ran it a couple of days ago.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes, updated and ran. Found PUP.Optional.Opencandy in the installation file on my desktop and in my Temporary Files.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just in passing, if you install MediaInfo and also have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware installed, you will get a popup from MBAM during the installation about detecting OpenCandy. As usual, the MBAM dialog allows accept once, make a permanent exclusion, or quarantine, as the three action options you can take.

I simply push the QUARANTINE button, which prevents OpenCandy from running. Thus QUARANTINE eliminates OpenCandy from the installation which then proceeds normally and simply installs the underlying MediaInfo product itself. OpenCandy is vaporized.
    Quote Quote  
  28. On the next page, there is a radio button that says Intall XYZ adware, or Do Not Install XYZ adware (it's not always Open Candy).

Obviously you hit the do not install option.

Or you can use MediainfoXP, compiled by Lord Mulder. 100% adware free, portable (no install)
    Quote Quote  
  29. OpenCandy has been discussed many times here. Block their servers in your hosts file and you won't get any of their malware.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356775-What-s-Happened-To-Imgburn?p=2248350&viewful...=1#post2248350

Or disconnect from the internet before starting the install program.
    Quote Quote