VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I discovered an ancient video in vcd format which is still relevant today and would like to extract it a format for archiving an use. Which format is best for this?

i understand that the actual video is in the mpgav folder and has an extension of dat which is actually a mpg 1videl file with error correction

I have also found that the original size of the video is quite small so how come it was supposed to show full screen on a TV in those good ol days?

Can you brief me on lossles (minimum loss) resizing as i would require the video upsized too

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't convert it to anything else if your intention is purely archiving. Just extract it with ISOBuster, removing the CDXA Mode2Form2 sector padding. What you'll have then is a straight Mpg1 file. Good for archiving as is.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree, for archiving I would not reencode, but instead of isobuster I would use vcdgear.

I have also found that the original size of the video is quite small so how come it was supposed to show full screen on a TV in those good ol days?
    - old crt TV resolution was 640x480, so 352x240 was like watching 960x540 on your FullHD Display
    - old crt TV always has some sort of 'afterglow' (not sure what the right term is) due to the way they work, which also blurs the whole thing a bit

Can you brief me on lossles (minimum loss) resizing as i would require the video upsized too
    If you have the time you can read up about Avisynth and filtering to resize&filter your content and later save it to h.264 + aac lc inside a mp4 container. (Hybrid + avisynth extensions, and other tools like StaxRip, MeGui, RipBot, also offer some basic to advanced Filtering through Avisynth, so it might be worth checking these tools,... + all current NLE tools should come with some basic filtering support)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154141 might be an interesting read,..

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote