VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've gone through a couple of burners in the past three years. I need one that I can depend on. I've been told that most burners are designed for "Lite-Duty", i.e., one or two burns a day. But I do sometimes ten a day. I've been told I need one for heavy duty.

Can someone recommend one around the $50 price range? Or am I dreaming here? I just want something that I can depend on and not have to keep replacing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've also gone through a few writers. So far I've had the best luck with Optiarc's. I have 2 in my system & they burn just about any type of disc I've thrown at them with out any coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't own one, but Plextor makes the most expensive full-height internal DVD drives, and claim their product's design improves cooling for a longer life. The PX-L890SA is their latest full-height internal drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The latest Plextors are not made by Plextor - although their earlier drives were. Plextors were the best at one time, but now it's more of "read the reviews at the Egg" thing.

I run Sony Optiarc drives in two machines, and they burn fine. I bought a Plextor a year or so back - did not care for the build, very light construction: found out it was an LiteON. It didn't burn any better than the Optiarc drives, so I pulled it from the machine. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=737081

Until proven otherwise: Most drives are created equal. Many like Pioneers, LGs, Optiarcs, etc.. It's a matter of choice - I look at burn speed, features (lightscribe if wanted) and reviews. With most drives costing $20 US or so, it's tough paying double for a Plextor with the number of bad reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827249066
    Last edited by classfour; 1st Apr 2012 at 11:20.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2003 LG 4040B - still working
    2005 LG 4167B - starting to die
    2008 LG GSA H58N - still working
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Optiarc - I have an iMac on loan from work at my house. It came with an internal Optiarc drive. Supposedly the drive is capable of burning DVD+R DL media. It has NEVER NEVER NEVER been able to do so, not even once. I use only Verbatim DVD+R DL media from Sinagpore. It can't burn them without errors, not even at the slowest speed. Doesn't matter what software I use. I've even tried to use ImgBurn in a Windows VM. The damn drive still can't burn DL media without fatal errors. I would NEVER buy Optiarc after my experience. The best burner I ever owned was a NEC and Optiarc is some sort of joint NEC/Sony project. Go figure.

I've used recentish Pioneer and LG models and I prefer the Pioneer. I can tell you that it seems to me that nobody makes drives as good as they used to.
    Quote Quote