VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    are their any encoders that can encode in to the h.265 standard and if so can vlc play them?
    Thanks,
    Sportsstar89
    Quote Quote  
  2. AFAIK the standard isn't due to be finalised until next year, so it's early days yet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yea but it look like its going to be much better then h.264 and qualcom showed off their snapdragon processor decoding it at mwc so I assumed there should be a encoder
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's something on x265:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

Note the pixel dimensions on the higher levels. I think this is more about the new generation of 4K standard TVs, which should be ready for market this year if not the next. Not sure if there are that many improvements over .264 in current resolutions. Others here would be more qualified to comment on that. But I'm skeptical.

There's more to this than just upgrading video codecs. Major changes to wireless standards are coming. Look up white space networking. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop releasing movies on DVD and move film distribution to cloud streaming.

To tell the truth, I think 4K 7,680×4,320 is overkill. If you crunch the numbers, based on pixel size and the size of the receptors in your retina and the angle subtended by them at the average viewing distance of 9 feet, someone with normal 20/20 vision would need at least a 70 inch TV to actually be able to see all the detail in 1920x1080 video. Any smaller screen and the individual pixels are perceived as background information.

In other words, most people aren't seeing the real resolution with current HD anyway. More than quadrupling that is going to be placebo.

It usually takes a while for players/encoders to adopt new standards, and I'd expect bugs at first. I'd also expect mplayer and vlc to be among the first open source players to adopt it and I'd expect more bugs from vlc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. afaik, the time line is set to "January 2013: Final Draft" so the first usable encoder that will not totally suck regarding speed an may be rival current h.264 implementations regarding quality might be out at the end of 2013.

http://doom10.org/index.php?topic=2042.0 + http://hevc.info/ might be interesting though,...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sportsstar89 View Post
    Yea but it look like its going to be much better then h.264 and qualcom showed off their snapdragon processor decoding it at mwc so I assumed there should be a encoder
    I see you are getting an early start on jumping on the "EVERYTHING before this sucked!" bandwagon. That's not good.

Seriously, people act like MPEG-2 H.263 (Divx/Xvid) are just complete and utter garbage and perhaps akin to the old crappy Real Media codec that used to drop frames when you used it. You can go down that path of self-delusion if you want to, but the fact is that the older codecs are just as capable of excellent results as the newer ones. They may take more bitrate to do it, but they're still capable of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. MPEG-2 H.263 (Divx/Xvid)
    There's MPEG-4 ASP (DivX/Xvid), and there's a H.263 Matrix in the Standard for Mpeg-4 ASP, but there's no such think as 'MPEG-2 H.263 (Divx/Xvid)',...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi.
    I have added in "encmain" programme print command,but when i run the program added print command dose not apply,why????
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maryam209 View Post
    Hi.
    I have added in "encmain" programme print command,but when i run the program added print command dose not apply,why????
    As I tried to say before, you'd better post your questions in the following Doom9 thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166586

BECAUSE it seems most VideoHelpers don't care very-much about H.265 for the time being.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hello,
    I would want to configure a GOP of size 16 for HEVC, but I have plenty of errors. Can someone please help me with this, I am really stuck at this point.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maxwhite View Post
    But if you want to encode your videos into H.265 , the VLC can't play it. Since this new codec has not been supported by VLC now.
    Time to lock this thread, IMHO...

http://www.videolan.org/developers/x265.html
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    To tell the truth, I think 4K 7,680×4,320 is overkill.
    That's not 4K that's 8K.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maxwhite View Post
    Originally Posted by sportsstar89 View Post
    Hi guys,
    are their any encoders that can encode in to the h.265 standard and if so can vlc play them?
    Thanks,
    Sportsstar89
    But if you want to encode your videos into H.265 , the VLC can't play it. Since this new codec has not been supported by VLC now.
    Please CHECK the date before you post....
    Quote Quote