VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi peeps, just downloaded a documentary and it came down as several 1920x1080 WMV files that make up the complete documentary, and i want to join them together to become 1 video file.

i have handbrake and MediaConverter but i prefer not to have to import them and re-convert them into a different format just to get a single file.

can anyone suggest a program for importing these and have them joined without re-encoding.

i have various tools that will join mpeg and avi files, but never had wmv files to join before.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try asfbin. Add all wmvs. Click Cut/Copy/Join/.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Baldrick, i couldnt find any definitive program to use in the editing section.

just tried it, works a treat, nothing like simple apps to get the job done, and these guys are geniuses.

loving handbrake as well, cant wait for the new IVY 3770k pc to be built.

cheers and thx again.

EDIT: btw, why do people convert using WMV as i never understood why, when h264 or mkv has been around for so long now, and this documentary ended up 6.5gb in size when it could have been a fair bit less using h264 or mkv.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 28th Mar 2012 at 02:38.
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi ahain, need a bit of advice on asfbin if i can.

i have sold my big quad core qosmio laptop in readiness to build myself a brand new Ivy Bridge 3770k small form factor pc, and i will be doing a fair bit of editing and encoding on that, as i had done on the qosmio.

i am currently using an old dell optiplex 745 pc i had sitting in my storage unit for a few years until i get the ne one built in a few weeks, and the dam pc wont run asfbin.

its an e6300 cpu with 2gb ram with win 7 64bit installed.

at the moment, i need to open my dell studio 1735 laptop to do all my cutting and joining of all my 1080p WMV files that i have, which isnt a real problem, just curious why asfbin wont work on the pc.

btw, this asfbin has been one of the best little tools i have used doing video work, and it cuts and joins very accurately, unlike lots of other tools out there.

i wish i could find a tool that cuts and joins h264 files this well (MOV and MP4) as i have several of those i would like to sort out as well.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    WOnt work how? Doesn't start?

And for mov and mp4 cutting can you try avidemux 2.6 beta. Use copy mode under video and audio. Set start and stop. Save as a new mp4. If you want to join use file->append, but the files must have EXACT same properties.
    Quote Quote  
  6. sorry should have posted the error.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    "NOTE: AsfbinWin requires MFC 9.0 libraries to run. If required, download and install them from the following location:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)"

So install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-38...displaylang=en
    Quote Quote  
  8. thank you again good sir, just installed the package, and asfbin now works

btw, how come this optiplex pc needs that package but none of my other laptops need it to run asfbin.

also, avidemux worked a treat splitting and joining the h264 files, and all i needed it for was to chop bits off the start and/or end of the files, and some cutting out of bits thru the video files and join the main bits back together.

again, thx a lot.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 20th Apr 2012 at 04:34.
    Quote Quote