VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone recommend the best tool for joinging several MP4 videos

I want something open source + something I can drag and drop or even command line or text configuration file
    I'd consider a paid version as well if there was no good open source options

Importantly: I don't want any recoding or anything - this will take time and is not required - the end output should be an MP4
    All videos will be the same dimensions and video quality

I then want to split them up
    Ideally I want to split into the original lengths - otherwise 5 minute sections will be fine
    AGAIN: I want this to be easy to do - mass drag and drop would be great

I've tried Corel Video Studio - but this involves dragging one video at a time from the library - a bit of a pain
    And then, the end video becomes a *massive* size
    If there are no other good choices, Corel would be OK - it's that expensive

Thanks in advance

Thanks

OM
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why join and then split to same ? Joining and splitting often cause problems like audio glitches in the joined parts or sync issues.

But you could probably write some script for mp4box that can join and cut....but it wont be any drag drop.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the reply

i posted another thread on this - the end result i want...
    i want to speed up video - both the video and audio
    there didn't seem to be an open source solution that would allow automation
    hence i came up with the brainwave of joining many videos and then increasing the speed
    i was using corel to do that part - for the increasing in speed

i got a reply from a question i put on the virtualdub forum
    someone has said i can increase speed using virtualdubmod
    so, i think i'll give that a try first
    Quote Quote  
  4. The problem with trying to simply append MP4s to each other is if they contain different types of audio or video streams, or even if the encoder settings for the video streams aren't the same, it may not work very well, if at all.
    Different frame rates probably won't work either. VirtualDub(mod) can change the speed by changing the frame rate, if that's what you're referring to, but unless you're going to resample the audio to match it'll put it out of sync. And it works mainly with AVIs, not MP4s.
    Any program capable of joining/remuxing video should be able to simply change the frame rate in the process.

I think I read your other thread an it appeared to me you were trying to combine several sections of video with a single audio stream and keep them all in sync, but I'm still not 100% clear on what you're starting with. To be honest, if you've got a bunch of files which are already in sync and which you want to join and then edit, I think it might be a lot easier to batch re-encode the whole lot as a single file than it would be to join them and split them while adjusting speeds etc.

I've used AnyVideoConverter to batch convert several files with different frame rates etc as a single file in the past and it seems to be fairly good at keeping the audio sync. When I've done it that way I've got it to output an AVI containing lossless audio and video which I can then edit and re-encode.
    Quote Quote