VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI guys, got the new ipad, want something to convert movies to play it on there. need a good advice to convert all my mkv or avi files to mp4 without it taking too much time. I was using mp4tools today, if i do pass-thru, it doesn't take long and gives amazing video, but then the audio from the .mkv files i converted it to aac-2ch, and the audio is out of sync. the whole conversion process for the audio doesn't take long, overall say 5minutes. i wish the audio was in sync. any other good quality programs? i used handbrake, but takes a long time for videos to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do the one-pass conversion for both the video and the audio. Don't do "pass-through". I use MP4Tools extensively and it's really quite fast. Use the iPhone4/iPad setting. If you pay the registration fee ($5?), you can set up a queue and just let it run overnight with a load of video conversions (each with different settings, if you wish). Don't worry about losing any quality; just keep the same framerate and A/V bitrates as the original videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I also downloaded this program called AvplayerHD, its $2.99, but its amazing. it plays all my .mkv and .avi files without any conversion. do check it out. i got it from the itunes store. also there is a program called subler, it does the same thing as mp4tools i think, without the $5.00 charge. I will also try your method, do one pass h.264 conversion for both video and audio. do you usually do aac.2ch for audio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subler is more for subtitles. (Look at Jubler for editing or time-shifting subtitles.) One nice feature of MP4Tools is the ability to add a subtitle track from an external source (a file); if your video is in a foreign language but doesn't have subtitles, find another source for those subtitles (http://www.opensubtitles.org/en for example; there are other sites as well) and drop it into the MP4Tools window.

Yes, I select the 2-channel audio choice. BTW, MP4Tools saves the converted file to ".m4v" but you may rename the extension to ".mp4" if you wish so iTunes doesn't open it by default; your choice.

I routinely convert everything to H264/AAC in a .mp4 container so I can place-shift it to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Windoze box.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks, great help. also was wondering, was the sync problem that i had probably due to doing a pass-thru? because thats what made me look elsewhere from mp4tools, there was a slight out of sync with the audio, and the video. i used to just convert teh audio to aac-2ch, and keep the video pass thru. hopefully when i do 1 pass for both, it doesn't go out of sync. thanks for all the help, appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't say for sure whether the sync issue is due to only one track being converted and the other being passed through. I -have- had that issue once when I did this but I've only done "both tracks conversion" since then.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm does anyone know of something like MP4Tools for windows? I'm looking to convert a bunch of 1080p x264/mkv movies to a format "The New iPad"/"iPad 3" can easily play. I want to keep as much quality as possible for the new ipads retina display, I dont care about long encoding/transcoding times.

Any help is very appreciated!

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not try Handbrake?

If you want to try Handbrake, this forum post might help, too: HandBrake • View topic - *** AppleTV 3 and the New iPad (Presets) ***
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote