VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have split a DVD into multiple VOBs using VobBlanker.

Is there any software that will allow me to burn DVDs that have one VOB for each chapter instead of combining them into 1GB VOBs? I won't have to re-split 1GB VOBs when I just want to use a particular chapter in future.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Davidyhk View Post
    I have split a DVD into multiple VOBs using VobBlanker.

Is there any software that will allow me to burn DVDs that have one VOB for each chapter instead of combining them into 1GB VOBs? I won't have to re-split 1GB VOBs when I just want to use a particular chapter in future.

Thanks.
    Your post makes absolutely NO sense at all.
    Is this a DVD full of music videos you are talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  3. The DVD is a music video DVD. Using VOBblanker, I split the DVD with a few ~1GB sized VOBs into multiple chapters with one VOB per chapter. With split VOBs I can just click on any of the VOB to play ONE song in players like MPC. However when I want to burn a re-burn a DVD, the software will re-combine the VOBs into VOBs of size ~1GB each - with a few songs + part of a song before the obligatory chop at ~1GB. Thus I cannot easily click on ONE VOB to play to ONE chapter.

What software allows me to burn DVDs with my own menus with VOBs of size that I determine rather than automatic merging into ~1GB sized VOBs?

Hope this makes sense to someone.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you author as chapters within one title, the DVD authoring software must re-combine the VOBs as you described. That is a requirement set by the DVD spec.

You could try authoring each of the VOBs as its own title, where each title is in its own titleset, with the specified post action "play next title". There will be a slight pause between titles, but the VOBs won't be re-combined. However if any VOB is larger than 1GB, it will be split. Any authoring software that can import VOBs, supports title sets and allows "play next title" as a post action can do this.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 8th Apr 2012 at 23:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I won't have to re-split 1GB VOBs when I just want to use a particular chapter in future.
    You can use PGCdemux to easily extract a single chapter ("cell") from a DVD fileset.

With split VOBs I can just click on any of the VOB to play ONE song in players like MPC.
    Or you can just make a simple menu when you author the DVD.
    Then you can see the name of the title and not have to remember which VTS VOB you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DVD is a music video DVD. Using VOBblanker, I split the DVD with a few ~1GB sized VOBs into multiple chapters with one VOB per chapter. With split VOBs I can just click on any of the VOB to play ONE song in players like MPC. However when I want to burn a re-burn a DVD, the software will re-combine the VOBs into VOBs of size ~1GB each - with a few songs + part of a song before the obligatory chop at ~1GB. Thus I cannot easily click on ONE VOB to play to ONE chapter.

What software allows me to burn DVDs with my own menus with VOBs of size that I determine rather than automatic merging into ~1GB sized VOBs?

Hope this makes sense to someone.
    Wanna know how I knew you were talking about music videos?
    Because so many people who collect and trade music videos go on and on and on about "VOB files" it makes me want to vomit. I don't know who told you guys all of the nonsense that is stuck in your head about VOB files.....but whatever they told you was 100% WRONG. VOB belong in one place/environment....a DVD. Outside of that they need to be MPEG2 files if you want to keep the exact same quality - file type.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks usually_quiet for explaining about the DVD format requirement. I will try your advice.

Thanks AlanHK for another software to use.

Thanks hech54 for getting me to explain more and getting the answer. VOB files can be played without conversion or loss of quality using at least two software - Media Player Classic and VLC media player as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks hech54 for getting me to explain more and getting the answer. VOB files can be played without conversion or loss of quality using at least two software - Media Player Classic and VLC media player as well.
    Yes, naked VOBs can be played more or less by some applications.
    But you find oddities like the time display being wrong, being unable to seek through it. Because they don't have the indexes that standalone MPEGs do.

I can't think of any reason to use VOBs as a media format.
    Conversion to MPEG is lossless and almost as fast as copying the file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It looks like visual aids are in order.

As you can plainly see....the VOB reverted back to it's original MPEG2 form is an exact match in quality - both video and audio....because your precious VOB file was an MPEG2 file before it was authored to a DVD. There is no quality difference...none, zip, zero, zilch, nada.
    I'm sure you'll continue to go on telling all of your buddies that your file is far superior because it is in "original" VOB format, but intelligent people who create the videos and DVDs that you merely share know the truth.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks hech54 for confirming that the mpeg2 file is actually just wrapped into another VOB container. Actually, when I rename the .VOB to .mpg, the file plays fine.

The reason for using VOB as a media format is because I want to have a DVD reburned - eg with subtitles for the songs, and yet retain ease of playing / copying / editing just one song when inserted into the PC. I sometimes make a compilation onto a USB thumbdrive from various DVD. Unfortunately, I can't just keep all the VOBs on the PC because of disk space shortage.

Is there anyway to have the name of the song on the VOB file or folder so that I can easily know the song? Or is this not allowable in the DVD structure?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks hech54 for confirming that the mpeg2 file is actually just wrapped into another VOB container. Actually, when I rename the .VOB to .mpg, the file plays fine.

The reason for using VOB as a media format is because I want to have a DVD reburned - eg with subtitles for the songs, and yet retain ease of playing / copying / editing just one song when inserted into the PC. I sometimes make a compilation onto a USB thumbdrive from various DVD. Unfortunately, I can't just keep all the VOBs on the PC because of disk space shortage.

Is there anyway to have the name of the song on the VOB file or folder so that I can easily know the song? Or is this not allowable in the DVD structure?
    1) Renaming is also a bad idea. I didn't just rename the VOB to MPEG.
    2) You cannot just take one VOB out of a functioning DVD structure, edit it, then stick it back into the structure. It (the DVD)will not work.
    The best thing for you to do is rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter BY CHAPTER (IFO Mode - File Splitting - By Chapter). On a concert DVD this will result in each song in an individual "file".....revert those back to MPEG2 one at a time while renaming them (I use MPEGVCR and/or AviDemux for this - depending on what type of audio the DVD had/has), then burn those to a DVD....AS DATA for storage purposes.
    12 songs on the DVD?....you will end up with 12 MPEG2 files with the exact same quality/properties as the DVD video....renamed in order to find them easier. The same is usually true for DVDs band put out that contain their music videos(MTV, VH1 etc etc)...it will probably be the same exact procedure unless someone who created the DVD decided to get tricky and make some of the videos "extras" during the DVD authoring process. Of course you can still spot them easily by the file size that DVDDecrypter and other programs show you. 5MB is a menu item, a file around 175MB is most likely a music video(of course they can be bigger or smaller - but you get the idea).

The menu of a DVD tells you the individual song titles and directs you to them. The individual songs do not appear as individual "files" on the DVD....and it cannot happen that way unless you yourself create a DVD that contains one song per title, and those are not very "DVD Player Friendly". If having individual songs is more important to you...then doing it as I described above and saving them as MPEG2 data files is the way to go.

When you place a DVD in a drive and see VOB files, your first objective is to revert them back to something useful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks hech54 for confirming that the mpeg2 file is actually just wrapped into another VOB container. Actually, when I rename the .VOB to .mpg, the file plays fine.

This is a pretty wacky way to use DVD files.
    No, you can't rename a VOB file and have it still work in the DVD.

Maybe though you can do it another way: How much space does your DVD VIDEO_TS folder take up? If you have a GB or so free, you can add a data folder (at the top level) and put conventional video files there -- maybe DivX or H264, since these are much more compact than MPEG2.

I sometimes do something similar with MP3s. I make audio DVDs by converting a bunch of MP3 (or other format) to AC3 and use GfD to make these to MPEGs with a single video frame. Then I can play them in a standard DVD player.
    I put the source MP3 files on the disc too, in their own folder if there's room, so I can access them to play on other devices.
    Quote Quote