VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to add subtitles to mp4 files already formatted for the iPad. While I've tried mp4box (and its various GUIs) and Format Factory, the results are not great. The best results I got was by using Handbrake. However, it also takes the longest. I'd like to know if there is a way to leave the video and audio tracks as is (without re-encoding) but add srt files as soft sub.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's possible. You must use a muxer like mp4box with ttxt subs if you don't want to reconvert.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But the subtitles embedded by Handbrake are soft subs (can be turned on and off). So isn't it unnecessary to re-encode? The problem with mp4box is I can never get the subs to show up correctly on my iPad. It may have something to do with the m4v vs. mp4 format, although I tried to rename the files created by mp4box to m4v and it still didn't work. Yet besides mp4box there seems to be no other muxer on Windows!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried srt iphone also and it doesn't work. No subtitle can be shown on the iPad.
    Last edited by ngngokkiu; 8th Mar 2012 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote