VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I am extremely upset, I was supposed to submit a joined video file with my paper. I forgot to join them, didn't think it would take that long. I've spent all day on this. I've broken things already. So I really need help. With anger management but also video help, which is specifically why I'm here.

I have two short clips, both only a few seconds. One is 295 x 614, the other is 856 x 788. I have them originally in .mov format. I have converted them to AVI also.

I do not have quicktime pro, could not find in an exhaustive search of my lab building any computers that have it, and am not inclined to buy it. Both on principle and because I expect I'd buy it only to find it didn't work for my files and would be obligated to stomp my computer to bits.

Avidemux was the program that finally broke me. It refuses to join two files of different sizes, and there seems to be no way to resize them without converting to a different format and making the first movie stretched out to the point of uselessness. And a lot of crashing.

EZ joiner / easy video joiner crashes without any explanation every single time while trying to join the AVI files, and doesn't recognize the mov files.

iskysoft video converter leaves a watermark in the converted videos, and is right out even if it does join files.

I have windows 7, 64 bit.

Edit: The framerate is also likely different.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You cannot join videos of different dimensions or fps . You need to change one to match the other. All characteristics have to match, including codec, audio sampling rate, channels, fps. Think of it like using a phillips screwdriver for flat slot head - it won't fit

Start with describing why the videos are so "odd" in dimensions. Were are they from, what format, and what's been done to them to give 295x614 or 856 x 788 ?????? Surely they didn't start like that

So you can either pad (add borders) +/- resize one to match the other
    Quote Quote  
  3. They are movie files generated by Imaris, they're from microscopy files.

They were cropped in this way to focus on specific cells moving around. The framerates are odd because both are time lapse movies. They were sped up or slowed down to focus on different movements.

What program should I use to adjust the size (add borders) or adjust the frame rate?

There is no audio data.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Then your best bet might be to create a playlist so that they play one after the other.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did the program export it in that format? Are the framerates variable ?

Use mediainfo (view=>text) copy & paste the text report back here for each original video

Do you understand your options? You would probably want to add black borders to the smaller one to match the larger one. You might have to do other things, like normalize the FPS if you intend to append them

What is the final format goal ? Where and how is this going to be viewed? e.g. on a website, DVD, blu-ray , PC, etc.... That affects the format you choose
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ah, forgot to mention why I was joining these. I'm submitting a paper, there is a limit of three supplementary data videos allowed, and there are two other videos that I needed to include. So leaving them seperate is not an option.

And now that I look at the requirements, the video needs to be resized anyway:

"JCB accepts .mov, .mpg, and .avi files. Please verify that all videos are viewable in QuickTime before submission. Note that in some instances it may be necessary to re-save from within QuickTime Pro.

Videos may be no larger than 10 MB. JCB recommends H.264 compression, although other codecs may be used. However, please do not use MPEG-1 encoding or Intel Indeo because of incompatibilities across platforms. Color depth should be kept to a minimum, using grayscale for black and white videos. Frame size should be limited to 520 x 420 pixels."

I do get that they need to be the same framerate and size, that makes sense. When I try to "add black border" in avidemux though to make the smaller one the same size, the image colors look split in the preview. I'll try fully processing them, I realize I hadn't done that yet.

The Media info:

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\supplementary 3\i9 colce example.mov
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 2.98 MiB
    Duration : 6s 150ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 4 059 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-02 02:49:00
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-02 02:49:07
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Codec ID : 20
    Duration : 6s 150ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 056 Kbps
    Width : 295 pixels
    Height : 614 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 0.480
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 20.000 fps
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.120
    Stream size : 2.97 MiB (100%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-02 02:49:00
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-02 02:49:07

And the second one:

eneral
    Complete name : C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\supplementary 3\ccb treated centrin Image0008_01 zoom example of ectopic div with ccb.mov
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 3.11 MiB
    Duration : 6s 667ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 3 910 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-07-13 23:25:29
    Tagged date : UTC 2009-07-13 23:25:48
    Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L3
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : 20
    Duration : 6s 667ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 3 909 Kbps
    Width : 856 pixels
    Height : 788 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.086
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 6.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.966
    Stream size : 3.11 MiB (100%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2009-07-13 23:25:29
    Tagged date : UTC 2009-07-13 23:25:48
    Quote Quote  
  7. The other problem is video #1 has a 20 FPS frame rate, video #2 has 6 FPS frame rate

I'm assuming the speed of the video is imporant ? (the actual motion content of the video, where the cells are doing their "thing") ie. you don't want to speed them up or slow them down from what they are now ?

The lowest common multiple is 60. So you would have to duplicate frames to achieve that (e.g. 20 FPS would be equivalent to a 60FPS video with every frame duplicated so there are 3 of every frame)

And now that I look at the requirements, the video needs to be resized anyway:

Frame size should be limited to 520 x 420 pixels
    Those are pretty clear submission guidelines to me regarding dimensions

When resizing, you probably want to keep the same aspect ratio , otherwise things get distorted (e.g. a "round" cell might become "oval")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Problem solved using avidemux.

I lowered the framerate of the 20 fps one to 6 (the data was not at 20 fps anyway), resized the images and added black borders to make it fit, then joined them and saved as an mpg file.

The resulting file is not as pretty as the original data, but most of the readers aren't going to bother with it anyway.

I appreciate the pointers.

If you're curious as to the resulting file, I uploaded it to youtube here

http://youtu.be/26wp_pbx2qU

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well I just tried joining 2 different dimension videos , and fps, and audio tracks, in quicktime pro - it actually works!

What happens is the smaller frame video takes the size of the larger frame video, but is placed in the upper left hand corner. The "borders" are white. There are even visual options to reposition it in quicktime - so you can center it . BUT... it ONLY plays properly in quicktime. There must be some metadata that other players cannot access

If you upload the videos somewhere to a free hosting site (e.g. mediafire.com, sendspace.com) , I can offer to do it for you

EDIT: I didn't see your last post, glad it worked out for you. But I learned something new here about quicktime
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 7th Mar 2012 at 17:43.
    Quote Quote