VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just got a Sony DVP-SR500H and I thought it was multi region because that was in my search filter. Long story there and really me failing to read details. Anyway it isn't. It is region 1 and I want to play some Region 2 DVD's.

I tried the hack posted here with no luck.
    Link: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=Sony+DVP-SR500H&hits=50&Search=Search

Seems I am missing something because nothing whatsoever happens when I try this.

Also tried this from another forum

Hi guys,

Try this:

1.Switch on the player
    2; Pop open the CD compartment
    3. Enter the following code (using the remote): 2812
    4. Highlight the region
    5. Change to 9 (for Multi-region) using the 'Enter' button
    6. Hit 'Clear' to exit
    7. Pop in a
    DVD and enjoy!

Let me know if you have problems.

Cheers

Almost the same instruction but same result. This one seems to imply that a screen shows up. Mine does nothing.
    Can someone help?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps Sony have updated the firmware to disable this hack.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's no exaggeration to say that I've NEVER heard of a Sony DVD or BluRay player sold in the USA/Canada in the past 5 or so years that can be hacked. The hacks that do work, which are very rare. only work on players sold elsewhere and usually require a special remote called an All In One remote. Bottom line - if you want region free, do NOT buy Sony or Samsung. Period. Your problem with your player is most likely that the hardware is different between it and the ones that can be hacked, but I suppose if you are willing to play a 1 in a million bet then you can research which All In One remote you need and buy it and try it, but I assure you that it will not work for you.

Philips still makes a few cheap DVD players that can be made region free. The DVP3560 is sold by Best Buy for about $40 and can still be made region free. Do note that Philips officially denies the ability of their players to be made region free on their website. This is to please their Sith Lords in Hollywood. However this player can still be made region free and converts between PAL and NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks jman98. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. I appreciate a staight answer. I guess I will have to get a region free DVD player. I have seen them on Amazon. I presume no hack is required if it claims its region free. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok here's what I've figured out for Sony dvp sr500h...

To get to the hidden menu, you need to start with the DVD player power OFF
    then hit
    TOP MENU
    CLEAR
    POWER (to turn the dvd player on)

and you should now see the hidden menu

then go to option 2
    then option 4

then this is as far as I get...you can enter codes here but none I've tried have worked....

the ones I've tried so far are 2812, 34570, and 12450

if anyone can figure out the correct code please post here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fields View Post
    then this is as far as I get...you can enter codes here but none I've tried have worked....
    I covered the reason why in my previous post. Refusing to believe it and hoping against hope has not proven to be fruitful in the past for other Sony owners. This is why we tell people not to buy Sony or Samsung if they want region free players.
    Quote Quote