VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What console game system do you own?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ps1,2,3 and super nintendo and sega genesis.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ps3 40gb fat and a xbox 360 (second generation with hdmi bought used to replace a first generation nonhdmi model that rrod'd - but the funny thing is I don't use the hdmi I use the vga cable - not enough hdmi ports).

I also have a super nintendo and a nes in storage (well boxes don't you know). SO far as I know they still work.

I have a PSP (first gen model) that I bought used. I mainly use it for videos now. I convert with format factory or straight with getflv. Very good for that purpose. Though the restrictive resolution requirement almost always require a reencoding from just about every source I'd want to put on it.

I'd love to get a VITA but I still have a bunch of games I haven't finished for the ps3 or 360 and I traded in the DS that I had some time ago so I'm not really into portable gaming.

Oh and I finally traded in my Nintendo Wii last year. I had bought it the week after the console launched but i just never really played it much. Once I started finally working to finish games that i had on the ps3 and 360 I didn't have the interest to keep up with a 3rd console.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a nintendo dsi xl but i decided to keep this poll to consoles,might do a handheld poll later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    along with the n64, wii, ps2, and xbox360 i have couple older ones not on the list. mattel intellivision, atari 800 and commodore 64. i think the last 2 could be should be considered consoles as they use cartridges or discs. all still working.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The last 2 are computers and my poll is for consoles from nintendo and up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never owned a 'modern' game system although I went through a several year fascination with collecting Atari 2600 stuff (mostly from yard sales). About a year ago I sold the couple of consoles, dozens of controllers and around a hundred games to a friend for a couple hundred dollars, about what I had into the stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    playstation 1

I don't console game anymore...just PC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only console currently is my vintage 1982 ColecoVision with about a dozen games.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I miss my Atari 2600 Sold it to my cousin in late '81 with about 30 games to get a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A computer. Then in '82 I bought a Colecovision. Very glitchy system.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by louv68 View Post
    I miss my Atari 2600 Sold it to my cousin in late '81 with about 30 games to get a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A computer. Then in '82 I bought a Colecovision. Very glitchy system.
    I had a colecovision,never had any problems with it,you must have had a lemon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yours' didn't freeze up at all? I had two of them and returned both. My friend also had one and it also froze up. Three lemons right there.

Based on inflation:
    $200.00 in 1982 had the same buying power as $480.15 today
    Last edited by louv68; 4th Mar 2012 at 16:22.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,played for hours on it,also rented own before and it played ok for hours,no freezing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I remember, Donkey Kong, Popeye and Zaxxon were games that would sometimes freeze up, and required the system to be rebooted.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by louv68
    Based on inflation:
    $200.00 in 1982 had the same buying power as $480.15 today
    Still cheaper than the ps3 at launch - 600.00.

I bought my 40gb when the ps3 was around 400.00 I think. Whenever the 40gb model was "new".
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. You can get a new Atari 2600 "console" and 10 games in a joystick for less than $20 now:

http://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Atari-Game/dp/B0028RZ7O2/

I think the Atari 2600 was the only console I ever bought. I've run games only on computers since then. I occasionally use emulators for the old consoles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zelda.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	11301
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Mar 2012 at 21:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You can get a new Atari 2600 "console" and 10 games in a joystick for less than $20 now:

http://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Atari-Game/dp/B0028RZ7O2/

I think the Atari 2600 was the only console I ever bought. I've run games only on computers since then. I occasionally use emulators for the old consoles.
    True, but some of those games weren't meant to be played with a 'joystick'. Ever try to play pong or breakout on a joystick? It's not the same thing as with the intended paddle. This system is a fail in my opinion, and anyone who grew up with a 2600 will tell you that.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None. I never owned one. At the time when I played video games on a regular basis, the only way to play them was in an arcade. Eventually, I lost interest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This house has:
    2 N64s
    2 Gamecubes
    2 Wiis
    Xbox1
    PS2
    2 PS3s
    &
    5 DSlites
    DSiXL
    3DS
    Quote Quote  
  19. We had a Wii when they first came out. My wife was having surgery a week later and we thought it would be good to have while she was home convalescing. I stood on line for 2 hours with other people at 8am by a Gamestop and we're all thinking how crazy it is to be doing this, and I asked "What if after all this this thing sucks?" Only games I played were the ones that came on the disk with it and Rampage! which was awesome on the Wii. My wife used it much more especially for Dance and Exercise disks.
    Last year we gave the Wii to our friend for her kids to have and we bought an XboX 360 with Kinnect. My wife uses it a lot for Dance and Exercise disks. I play Castle Wolfenstein and Crazy Taxi. Mostly I watch Netflix on it several times a week.
    I miss Rampage! on the Wii.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... let's see.

b/w Radio Shack table tennis/hockey game, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, GBA SP, DS, TurboGrafx-16 (bought specifically for imports ), GameCube, PSX, PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSP, Wii, PS3.

Probably forgot something, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ai Haibara - what no xbox 360 nor xbox 1? Not a microsoft fan eh? No Halo for you my friend - for shame. And you call yourself a gamer???
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    • PS3 (40GB 3rd Gen model)
    • PS2
    • N64
    • Gamecube
    • Sega w/Saturn Attachment (in storage)
    Sold off older stuff (including ORIGINAL PONG!! ). Don't really do much gaming, mainly just with my kids, though I love to WATCH them do: LA Noire, Uncharted2+3, Assassin'sCreed (last 2), RedDeadRedemption w/ZombieUpgrade, ModernWarfare (last 4) - on PS3.

I finally feel that games have now gotten as visually rich and complex plot-wise as watching a really good movie! Now, if there will be a continued trend away from F.P.S. games and toward more "thought provoking" or "emotionally adventuresome" scenarios (in addition to the VR-enhancements of Wii, Kinect & 3D), then games should attract a wider audience than just young dudes.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. I collect older videogames and systems. Here is what I own. List is from memory so I may be missing some.

Several Pong clones, several Atari 2600s, Intellivision, Odyssey2, several Colecovisions, Atari 7800, NES, NES Clone, SNES, TG-16, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1, XBox, PlayStation 3, Original Gameboy, Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, PSP Go.

I also have a bunch of vintage computers - but they were not part of the poll.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @ai Haibara - what no xbox 360 nor xbox 1? Not a microsoft fan eh? No Halo for you my friend - for shame. And you call yourself a gamer???
    No, I just didn't see anything for either X-Box that made me want to rush out and buy the system, and I have a few friends with either or both (not to mention my sister and her husband), so if I do want to play an X-Box/360 game... (It's the same reasoning for why I never bought the Intellivision. )

I did forget something... our Nintendo 64. (How I could forget it when someone else in the house keeps running marathon Majora's Mask sessions, I don't know. ) And, of course, I'm not counting the multiples.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Atari 2600, Atari 7800, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Sega Master System & Sega Genesis. All still in working order and safely packed away. I just game on a PC these days. Still refusing to buy any newer game consoles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornucopia
    I finally feel that games have now gotten as visually rich and complex plot-wise as watching a really good movie! Now, if there will be a continued trend away from F.P.S. games and toward more "thought provoking" or "emotionally adventuresome" scenarios (in addition to the VR-enhancements of Wii, Kinect & 3D), then games should attract a wider audience than just young dudes.
    Actually they are evolving right before our eyes.

Even though Uncharted is kind of a guy action flick ala Indian Jones it is really well done. Its much better than a lot of actual action movies these days. The story telling and pacing are great in that series as you've noted. Though 3 wasn't as great as 2 it was still a lot of fun.

Assassins Creed is another one that is very compelling and involving. Can't wait for the next "numbered" installment of the series. But Brotherhood and Revelations have been worth playing as well.

I think a title like LA NOIRE (which you mentioned) is a step in the direction you are talking about. THere are action elements in it but it is mainly a detective game. Haven't played it myself but know about it.

The problem with that adventourous stuff you're talking about is its not a garaunteed money maker. Slap Call of Duty or MLB or something with an established history and your all set to make x amount of money. Throw out something like LIMBO or even ALAN WAKE (though it was a first run big name title just not a traditional shooter game) and your not as likely to make it big.

But if you want the more interesting stuff you should check out more indy games. THats where the innovations are coming from. Smaller budgets and smaller price tags allow the developers to focus on a hook and wheel customers in with some unique angle instead of a summer blockbuster with all the bells and whistles.

There out there and mores on the way. This is a "golden age" for video games. Just about anything you can think of can be made.

Even though I don't have a WII anymore and I don't have the move for my ps3 nor a kinect for my xbox 360 the potential is out there for some unique and interesting ideas to come out if theres a developer willing to take the risk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Magnavox Odyssey PONG.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    None. I never owned one. At the time when I played video games on a regular basis, the only way to play them was in an arcade. Eventually, I lost interest.
    x2

No games here. I am an adult, married with no children.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    x2

Interesting. 38yrs, married (2 times) have 2 childrens and play all night on my PS3 with my friends and mates.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    x2

Interesting. 38yrs, married (2 times) have 2 childrens and play all night on my PS3 with my friends and mates.

Claudio

married,2 kids, 3 consoles wahaaaha
    Quote Quote