VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Some Videos have problem playing my DVD players. I have Philips DVD Player with USB interface.
    Whenever i try playing some videos the video plays normally to an extent(time-duration), and then gets struck. The video will stop playing and you can see a still image of the video. But, it plays well in my computer. These Video files of mine conform the codec conditions of the DVD player. Ex: XVID MP3 is playable in the DVD player.

But, the problem is rectified when i recode the video with XVID and MP3 again using some Video Encoding Software. So, they are now playable.

My Question is:
    Even though the original video is XVID MP3, why does this problem occur in my DVD Player? I want to know the reason why it gets stuck and stops (while playing).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this will help but I had a similar problem with my DVD player and
    after much heart ache I found that my player had a maximum file size of 1GB
    anything beyond 1GB didn't play and either the player froze of went back to the menu
    seemingly at random.

Most modern PCs support a maximum file size of 2 or 4 GB which explains why the PC
    plays the files with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
    My Question is:
    Even though the original video is XVID MP3, why does this problem occur in my DVD Player? I want to know the reason why it gets stuck and stops (while playing).
    Read the Philips manual to find out exactly what it will play so you can create these video files exactly to what the player accepts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
    These Video files of mine conform the codec conditions of the DVD player. Ex: XVID MP3 is playable in the DVD player.
    Just because they are xvid/mp3 doesn't mean they conform to you player's limitations.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/295067-Common-DivX-DVD-Players-AVI-Playback-problems!

Something that isn't mentioned in that post is multiplexing. Bad multiplexing will cause problems on disc based players too. The audio for each frame needs to be right next to that frame. If the audio and video get too far apart the player will have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies.

The size of the file was well within 1gb, infact my media player supports till 2GB.
    This problem occured in two types, once when i used a dvd sub/idx subtitle in my pendrive, i deleted those subtitles and then it played well. In the other occurrence(another video file), i was not able to play(no prob with subtitles this time). So, in 1 case, the problem disappeared when i removed subtitles from usb.

hi jagabo,
    Qpel, GMC and Packed bitstreams - I dont understand these. But all other conditions were well satisfied. i suppose GMC is not the problem, because i have found error when playing GMC video (it shows 'GMC Not Supported' error). Bad multiplexing, that may also be the prob.

Please elaborate Qpel, GMC, Packed Bitstreams and Bad Multiplexing / Any Links
    Quote Quote  
  6. GSpot will tell you if the video use Qpel, GMC (1 or 3 warp point), packed bitstream, the number of consecutive b-frames. Bad muxing may just require a quick remux with VirtualDub, AviDemux, etc. The others require reencoding without those features.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually packed bitstream can be fixed without re-encoding by using MPEG4Modifier. The others jagabo mentioned do require re-encoding to fix.

I do NOT recommend using SUB/IDX with ANY player outside of a PC. My experience is that DVD player support for SUB/IDX is much poorer than they admit. My old Philips DVD player used to drop subtitles randomly if they were SUB/IDX. I just got in the permanent habit of converting SUB/IDX to SRT any time I could only find SUB/IDX subs. It's work to do the conversion, but SRT displays without problems. Subrip and VobSub can be used to convert SUB/IDX to SRT.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Actually packed bitstream can be fixed without re-encoding by using MPEG4Modifier.
    Yes, forgot about that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks jman98 and jagabo.
    So the problem seem to be solved. I shouldn't use a SUB/IDX file. But, most of the SUB/IDX files work in my media player. Actually, i had converted a SRT to SUB/IDX, so there was a problem. All other SUB/IDX play well in the DVD player. The problem with SRT is that my media player displays it in a very small font size. So, converting those subtitles to OCR SUB/IDX [vobsub] would solve the problem of font size. I used SubtitleCreator for this, and so was the error. What would you suggest to use?

Thanks in Advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Everybody needs to remember that legal, pro "DVDs" are really the only things guaranteed to play in a DVD player (sometimes not even that). All else is occasional icing on the cake, and support will be spotty and varied for those other formats.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. you can't expect all educational video lectures to be in DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. My Question is:
    Have a L@@k Here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Simply because standalones are restricted to specific combinations of videocodes and audiocodecs in a container like AVI or MKV..............
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mreccentric View Post
    you can't expect all educational video lectures to be in DVDs.
    Yes I can, if the producers of those video expect to have them be "universally" playable on settops. In 2013, it's just not that hard to do, nor expensive, so what's holding them back? Knowledge? Procrastination?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can expect to win the lottery also, does not mean it is going to happen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hell yeah!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just clear OPś doubts,

QPEL stands for Quarter Pixel Motion Estimation refers using a quarter of the distance between pixels (or luma sample positions) as the motion vector precision. Most of the stand alone DVD players support only half a pixel motion estimation.

GMC stands for Global motion compensation. GMC warp points to create a prediction of how the following frame will look. Xvid Offers 3 warp-point GMC encoding while some DiVX certified players are capable of decoding only 1 warp-point. GMC does not offer much compression vs. quality benefits plus it requires more decoding power and extra efforts.

Packed Bitstream contains a single frame in the stream includes 2 VOPs (P & B both). Most of the players do not like to decode two VOPs (P & B) during the time of a single frame. Packed bitstream also requires more decoding power and extra efforts.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Everybody needs to remember that legal, pro "DVDs" are really the only things guaranteed to play in a DVD player (sometimes not even that). All else is occasional icing on the cake, and support will be spotty and varied for those other formats.

Scott
    With 100% acquiescence, Isn´t it really something that all DVD players are normally suppose to do? Occasional icing on the cake is something like additional features.

you can't expect all educational video lectures to be in DVDs.
    Valid point to consider.

Yes I can, if the producers of those video expect to have them be "universally" playable on settops. In 2013, it's just not that hard to do, nor expensive, so what's holding them back? Knowledge? Procrastination?

Scott
    I shoot lots of video for KiDs various Creative Activities and KiDs Sports. I always distribute free DVD copies of 3-to-4 different videos in mostly XViD + mp3 format. Some parents buy/donate a 50 pks of DVDs, and some help to burn and make more copies. Here everyone offers helping hands without any expectation of commercial sale or revenue. KiDs are happy, and parents are happy too. It is a WiN-Win scenario. We can not afford a professional replication or we can not think of DVD format (VIDEO_TS) - authoring a simple DVD even as each video are 45 minutes to 1 Hr. In later case we might start consuming more DVDs unnecessary. Every specification looks only good on a paper, Only the best performers go far in real world scenario. Keeping the cost low makes everyone happy!
    Quote Quote