VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am a user of Linux (only reason I have Winblows is VirtualDub, Tmpgenc) but don't know what HIGH QUALITY capture software there is. It has to have equal or better quality then VirtualDub with mjpeg at a setting of 20 (100% quality) then through the same program or separate encode with same quality video in VCD as Tmpgenc.

Plus extra would be a way to deinterlace XawTV during normal viewing
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    VirtualDub is available for linux too....
    linux.davecentral.com try here
    daigo
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried checking that out but it just took me to software.linux.com and I couldn't find it there
    Quote Quote  
  4. I couldn't find a linux version of virtual dub either.

There are lots of other video related programs on software.linux.com though.

My problem is looking for a linux codec. I love the MJEG codecs (I usually go for quality 17/20). If I could find something comperable for linux, that would be awesome. Definitely post it if you ever find a good solution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are a couple mjpeg codecs for use in Linux that I saw as part of the avifile codecs. One is open source but they say it is slow then they also have the shareware Morgan mjpeg. I have not tested these. I want to get same quality as in windows.

Mjpeg 20:20 quality progressive 352x240

I am currently trying to get the vcr software from software.linux.com but it requires avifile .6 and I only have .53 when I try installing the new one I get an error that it can't find ltconfig
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

Originally Posted by DarkShadow
    I want to get same quality as in windows.
    I've been capturing pretty good video under Linux for a few months now. I am using a Matrox Marvel G400-TV card, which has a hardware MJPEG compressor, so it's *very* light on the system's resources. I use the mjpegtools, and a couple of different scripts to setup the recording times via "at".

For shows that I will be recording then pretty much deleting right away, I usually capture at 352x480, and ~25% quality, which is about 5Mbps, and gives me a little over 2GB. I find the quality to be about the same as a VHS tape recording on "EP" (i.e., the "6-hour" setting), which is what I recorded on with a regular VCR, so it's quite acceptable to me. For things that I may wish to keep (and therefore burn to a CD-R, either as a VCD or Divx file), I usually record at highest frame rate and about 75-80% quality. These are usually either television specials, or VHS tapes that I wish to "digitize". This gives me ~10GB/hr, but then I use glav (a gui editor that is a part of the mjpegtools) to do some minor editing, and then convert the MJPEG to whatever format I want. The quality is alomost as good as the "original", and only if you're really looking can you really tell the difference.

HTH.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  7. www.slashdot.org had a post on video tools today (see below)
    It addresses a beta release of a video tool for Linux as well as an audio tool. I am looking at moving to Linux, but am unsure of what tools are available. The thread referenced also mentions some other tools available for Linux.

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/11/0322200.shtml?tid=106
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

Originally Posted by BKL
    www.slashdot.org had a post on video tools today
    Yeah, I clicked on the URL provided; very interesting. I've messed around with bcast2000, but haven't really done as much with it to understand it too well, I'm afraid.

I am looking at moving to Linux, but am unsure of what tools are available.
    Well, just to give you an idea of what I use:

Hardware:
    -Matrox Marvel G400-TV (for capture and output) I wanted it mostly because it has the TV tuner built in and does hardware MJPEG compression (I have also successfully used the Iomega Buz card, which is like the G400, but lacks a TV tuner; you would need a seperate card for TV capture)
    -AMD 750MHz, 128MB RAM, 60GB hard drive

Software:
    -Video Capture: mjpeg-tools
    -TV Capture: XMLTV (to get the TV listings so I can decide what to record); OpenPVR scheduling and recording tools (Disclaimer: My brother is one of the developers for the OpenPVR project)
    -Editing: glav (for simple edits; part of the mjpeg-tools); Linux Video Studio (for more complex edits, such as adding fairly basic effects, etc.)
    -Playback: MPlayer (I use Mplayer to playback on my television, too)
    -File Conversion: mjpeg-tools (for creation of VCD-friendly MPEGS); mencoder (for other formats. Mencoder is part of the Mplayer package)

Well, that's the main stuff I use. Hopefully this helps you out a bit, insofar as at least providing you with a bit of starting point.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to tweak your system for better capturing performance, try this: http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html
    Quote Quote  
  10. For good Linux software for any purpose, and lots of video software too, go to www.sourceforge.com.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noname
    For good Linux software for any purpose, and lots of video software too, go to www.sourceforge.com.
    Well, you could also go to freshmeat.net, which exists for the sole purpose of publicizing and providing info about opensource projects.

[even more off-topic]
    I just wonder how long sourceforge & freshmeat are going to be around. I think the only sustainable model, for them, is to charge their users to support the operational costs. Each project (on sourceforge, at least) should have a balance that everyone can see. If you like the project, and it needs money, you can donate to help it pay for what it costs Sourceforge to run (only a couple $'s per month, in most cases).

That might also cut down on the volume of crappy software, on those sites.
    Quote Quote