VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ran into this interesting article in the LA Times
    http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-new-apple-tv-settop-box-rumored-fo...,7800251.story

If they do a credible Apple TV (with ATSC/DVB/QAM tuner), then that combined with a 2,048x1,536 iPad 3 could make a nice 10" probable HDTV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  2. How exciting, more money for Apple. However, I don't expect much difference without Steve Jobs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    could make a nice 10" probable HDTV.
    If you want to carry a big antenna around with you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    could make a nice 10" probable HDTV.
    If you want to carry a big antenna around with you!
    Depends where you are relative to the transmitter. In urban areas the antenna could be small like the "Leaf".
    http://www.gomohu.com/the-leaf-indoor-hdtv-antenna/

Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf-antenna-110701-02.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	11320

Or, with QAM tuner it could plug into cable. I'd expect Apple to do a similar box to the HD Homerun that Elgato now sells with Multiuser Cablecard and wired/wireless distribution. This could feed iPods, iPads, computers and Apple's new monitors and TV sets.

In DVB areas, Elgato sells tuners that plug into the iPad dock connector.

Name:  EyeTVMobile_online_store_solutionshot_110929.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  11.7 KB
    Last edited by edDV; 5th Mar 2012 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Or, with QAM tuner it could plug into cable.
    If there's cable service there's already a TV there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another "killer" feature could be a bi-drectional HDMI connector allowing the iPad to be used as an HDTV display. For example it could be used as a field camcorder monitor. Or as a second PC/Mac display.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about they get a 16:9 display FIRST than all this other stuff later?

Aren't both the ipad 1 and 2 4:3? Or is it just the ipad 1?

Also aren't both just mono no stereo speakers?

And for the life of me I have no idea how this monster apple drooling started. I know the whole mystique thing and all that. Is it just the name? I know the products are decent but way overpriced and too proprietary. I don't say they don't work but it always seems like they promise more than they can deliver (I mean in terms of being the end all be all of all things tech)- at least for the ones that want an open system they can manipulate better. But then again I guess Apple and Open never go hand in hand.

Ok Apple rant done - for now
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another "killer" feature could be a bi-drectional HDMI connector allowing the iPad to be used as an HDTV display. For example it could be used as a field camcorder monitor. Or as a second PC/Mac display.
    I doubt Apple would ever be that helpful. If they do offer HDMI input, they'll charge extra to enable the feature.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably will remain 4x3 with letterbox 16:9. The expected 2,048 x 1,536 resolution makes this practical compared to the iPad2 1024x768. I'd expect stereo speakers. The current iPad already has Bluetooth audio.

The iPad3 appeal to me would be as a portable display device around the house, but also as a supplement to or alternative to a laptop in the field. Since it also has a 8MP camera, one could take short trips with only a feature phone and iPad3. My basic kit would also include a small camcorder. The more versatile the tablet, the more likely I will buy one. If Apple blows it, I'll be game for a future Android or Win8 tablet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    I doubt Apple would ever be that helpful. If they do offer HDMI input, they'll charge extra to enable the feature.
    The problem with Apple is by being first with the iPad (blanking out MS missing the boat) they have all the early user input. That known, they dole out the features over several releases to force users to upgrade. I'm sure they know the benefits of HDMI input but that will probably be withheld until needed for marketing combat.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That known, they dole out the features over several releases to force users to upgrade. I'm sure they know the benefits of HDMI input but that will probably be withheld until needed for marketing combat.
    Apple love doing this sort of thing. Last time I used the bundled Quicktime player on a Mac, I couldn't find a way to play videos fullscreen. Turns out the user has to purchase the 'pro' version to enable it...

So I installed VLC.

I'm not against paying for features that cost a lot to develop - especially if the extra functionality isn't needed by most users. But crippling their own products by removing basic features is self defeating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    Probably will remain 4x3 with letterbox 16:9. The expected 2,048 x 1,536 resolution makes this practical compared to the iPad2 1024x768. I'd expect stereo speakers. The current iPad already has Bluetooth audio.
    Well I guess with a larger screen resolution and a pretty big screen to begin with letterbox isn't horrible. At least they should do stereo if they want to push video even more.

Originally Posted by intracube
    Last time I used the bundled Quicktime player on a Mac, I couldn't find a way to play videos fullscreen. Turns out the user has to purchase the 'pro' version to enable it...
    That my friend is highway robbery. Anytime somebody complains about Microsoft mention that. At least they don't do that to windows media player. - come to think of it is there even a "pro"version of wmp? I know you can buy plugins for it but at least the basic version is pretty complete for most users.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the new version of Quicktime (for the Mac), Quicktime X, allows you to view in fullscreen, and have the MPEG-2 component built-in, without paying for QT Pro or the MPEG-2 component (in fact, I think they don't even have a Pro version for QT X). Not completely sure, though, because I don't use QT all that much (even on my Mac) - and whether or not they're going to have a Windows equivalent of QT X.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I don't get why folks buy IPad in such numbers. Overpriced toy. If there is money why not. Heck somebody always throws some away. But they sell so many items, si it turns around, folks are crazy to fork that money away ...I'm waiting for $100 Pad and under as a regular consumer , if I feel like to get some then, same situation like with Blu-Ray players..... Whats wrong playing Sonic Hedgehog on P4 computer ? BattleStar Galactica fighters used tape camcorders ,result is the same, video, adrenalin, ..,just money is gone ...
    Quote Quote  
  15. rejoice isheeps rejoice
    Quote Quote