VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to all,
    I'm a complete novice who is in desperate need of help with a video issue. I was filming my sons hockey game when an incident occurred that I need to bring to the leagues attention. The video quality is poor and I barely captured the incident in frame. What I would like to do is to slow the video to show the issue clearer but when I try and slow it down it gets jumpy and fuzzy. I am trying to use the free version of video pad. I have zero experience at this sort of thing but I'm doing my best to show what happened clearly. I feel this is very important and I hope to get the best result possible. I just cant seem to get what I need. It's a very short clip, about 2 seconds that I need to show of a 20 second clip. I'd just like to slow it down and show it clearly, zoom if possible. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you upload it somewhere to a free hosting site, I (or others here) can try to fix it up for you, or at least point you in the right direction

e.g.
    mediafire.com
    sendspace.com

What device are you displaying this video on? (ie. how do you intend to show it to others , on a computer, dvd etc...)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don;t know if facebook is a good host but here's a link. Not thrilled with using fb but I don't know of any vid hosting sites. Here's the linkhttp://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=380076735354048&saved

it's at about :19 -20 of the clip it's what happens in front of the net. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The problem is facebook re-encodes the video, so you lose quality

Every time you re-encode the video with a lossy format, it deteriorates permanantly - data is thrown away

So ideally you want to start with the original file from the camera - that gives you the best chance of highest quality and clearer picture . Hence the suggestion to upload the actual video to a file hosting site, not a video hosting site
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    o.k. like I said I'm way out of my element here. I will try and find a good site. Thanks again for the help.bb
    Quote Quote  
  6. just upload it to www.mediafire.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How is this? Better I hope.... http://www.filedropper.com/smov0099
    Quote Quote  
  8. That file host is ok

I had a quick look, and I assume it's supposed to demonstrate a hit from behind ? It doesn't show the event clearly , it's not definitive evidence (for example, the sprawling player in red might have simply tripped)

If it's not that, can you be more descriptive about the issue and what you're trying to show ?

I won't have time to do it tonight, but I should have some free time tomorrow, or someone else might give it a go in the meantime
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No actually it shows the kid who is prone(red) getting kicked in the head with a skate by the kid in green. I know it's terrible footage but it's all there is.......
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, I can see it, although it is hard to tell if his skate makes contact. It definitely comes up towards his face, but there are only about two frames when you can see the foot moving up, but you never see it make impact.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it looks to me as his head moves up at the top of the kick. ????
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by coznick View Post
    No actually it shows the kid who is prone(red) getting kicked in the head with a skate by the kid in green. I know it's terrible footage but it's all there is.......
    oops... I hope he didn't get hurt too badly

But I agree with robjv1 - it's hard to tell if contact is made

And the frame pixellates right on that frame, I tried cleaning it up a an enlarged insert.... but objectively if I was a referee or league official , I would say it's inconclusive
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by coznick View Post
    oops... I hope he didn't get hurt too badly

But I agree with robjv1 - it's hard to tell if contact is made

And the frame pixellates right on that frame, I tried cleaning it up a an enlarged insert.... but objectively if I was a referee or league official , I would say it's inconclusive
    Good job! I like the little spotlight too. Yeah, I looked at it frame by frame and I don't think there is any "without a doubt" kind of proof here. If you'd held the camera steady for a few more frames, you might have got a clear look at it as the pixelation and panning makes it impossible to judge, but that's a dutiful camera mans job, not one for a father concerned about the safety of a kid
    Last edited by robjv1; 29th Feb 2012 at 00:05.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! Super work. I could never could have done anything close to that. Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you!

I know about " if You would have". I've been kicking myself ever since it since it happened. I didn't even think I captured the incident at all when I was at the rink and viewing it through the camera. Only when I got home and was able to see it on my computer and slow it down with the slide bar did I find out I had something. At the rink nobody else saw it but myself and about 3-4 players. The two ref's missed it and it was facing away from the crowd so no one in the stands saw it either. I've been going over and over all the what if's because I wanted everyone at the rink that looked at me like I was crazy to know it happened. This is a serious no, no in hockey. I know a lot of things happen in a hockey game and there are very few things that are taboo but using a skate as a weapon to retaliate against an opponent is at the top of the list.

As for being definitive or not, it really boils down to intent not whether contact was made. It was a blatant attempt to injure another player with a skate. This comes only weeks after this incident in the NHL. While this was an accident and not an attempt to injure it does show the danger and damage a skate is capable of. or another example showing the dangers of a skate blade.
    Quote Quote