VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am encoding a video file where the source plays back at 29.97fps

I dont want to change the framerate or playback speed but I have this in the script

SRestore(25)
    AssumeFPS(30000,1001)

what exactly is that SRestore doing to my video that I havent noticed?

The playback length of the finished encode is exactly the same as the source but to my understanding after some reading SRestore(25) is slowing my video down to 25fps? I read SRestore is supposed to restore a videos playback to a set FPS?

I dont want it slowed to 25FPS is that slowing my video down to 25FPS? and if so, why is the finished encode the same length as the 29.97fps source? wouldnt the encoded video be longer?

The audio is perfectly in sync with the encoded file so I am confused as to what this SRestore is doing, if its even doing anything.

I just used Mediainfo and its saying my encode is 29.97fps! so what is SRestore even supposed to be doing?

I just hope that srestore didnt ruin my video in a way I cant see without knowing what to look for.

The video looks fine to me, a tiny bit jerky when the screen does a pullback or moves sideways but its not so bad that I cant stand it.

SRestore wouldnt make my video jerky if it didnt need it used, would it? What happens when its used and wasnt needed?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 28th Feb 2012 at 11:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have a sample we can look at to see what you have and how it should be treated? Because your script makes no sense at all.

Also, what you say is incorrect. The upshot of those 2 lines is that the movie length gets shortened considerably, and it'll have a ton of missing frames (about a sixth of them gone), and play very jerky and much speeded up. Can you post the complete script?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Do you have a sample we can look at to see what you have and how it should be treated? Because your script makes no sense at all.

Also, what you say is incorrect. The upshot of those 2 lines is that the movie length gets shortened considerably, and it'll have a ton of missing frames (about a sixth of them gone), and play very jerky and much speeded up. Can you post the complete script?
    Sure heres the sample, I made it MP4 in megui but didnt use a script on it. it used to be a 29.97fps h.264 file but its 100MB so i had to clip it to a minute.

http://www.fileserve.com/file/RCzYNEK/Yu-Gi-Oh! GX - S02E30 - Magnetic Personality.mp4

I only added in the

SRestore(25)
    AssumeFPS(30000,1001)

because it fixed the preview in the megui program.

It was showing the video as 27 mins long in the preview and it was only 21 mins long. I added that in the script and the preview when to its proper length.

The video is perfectly fine and I love the results, I just wanted to know about that srestore. Is using that ruining my video in a way I dont know about or can barely see?

whats up with megui showing the video at 27 mins in the preview window but its only 21 mins long?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 28th Feb 2012 at 17:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I, for one, am not interested in your reencoded sample. When one asks for a sample one means from the DVD source, if that's what you used.

Anyway, thanks to pdr's link, I see you're being told the same things over at Doom9.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I, for one, am not interested in your reencoded sample. When one asks for a sample one means from the DVD source, if that's what you used.

Anyway, thanks to pdr's link, I see you're being told the same things over at Doom9.
    well if you want a sample from a DVD its damn huge like 1GB vob files. I cant upload that.

I dont know what PDR is but anyways. whats up with megui showing the video at 27 mins in the preview window but its only 21 mins long?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 28th Feb 2012 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. He means just a sample from the dvd, not the entire episode. Just 30sec to 1minute with motion, like a panning sequence

Why are you encoding it from the dvd, then encoding that again? Why not do it all in 1 go, but properly ?

Chances are there were mistakes in the 1st go round, because animation is almost never 29.97 FPS - chances are it should be IVTCed to 23.976
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use DGINDEX to set clip start and end points in the VOB and save just a few MB of the source.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You can use DGINDEX to set clip start and end points in the VOB and save just a few MB of the source.
    Thats what I didnt know how to do, thanks!! its been a while since I used dgindex, possibly several years if you dont count the file indexer built in megui. I was wondering how to cut a vob into a smaller sample vob.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It'll give you an M2V, the video portion of the VOB, which is what we want and need. Use the [ and ] buttons to mark off a very short section and then File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the M2V to MediaFire or SendSpace.

And if you work with DVDs, you should be using DGIndex (or one similar to it built into such programs as MeGUI) every time you work with DVDs (although I suppose you could also use FFVideoSource).
    Quote Quote