VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fellow Forum Members,
    I have digitized about 10 years of videos I have shot and now uploading all of it to a 20TB file server I have built. My question to any one out there that has organized a ton of videos is: "What is the best application to organize videos by custom categories?" My main concern is I want to perform this task only once. Therefore, what is really important to me is to use an application that is mature. I don't want to spend hours and hours buiding a data base and then a couple of years from now I have to do it all over again because a better application comes along.

Is Microsoft Access a good choice? If not, can any one out there recommend a better option? I have a bunch of Wedding videos I woould like to organize by what I'm estimating to be at least 20 different categories. Therefore, I would like an application that is not labor intensive when it comes to applying custom categories to videos. What would also be cool is if I could launch the video to play from within the data base application. Also cool would be if the app could import screen capture stills from the video. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can`t suggest a particular program for you.

But for a database where you want a number of custom categories, you want flexibility, obviously. The program is not going to be able to guess what you want.

The thing about databases is that you have to have a clear idea of how you want to organize it before you start. That`s where the real work is, and no program can do it for you. If you don`t design it right and have to change it later it`s going to be a lot more work than designing it right in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Hoser Rob for the post.

Has anyone out there tried this app called Videonizer?
    http://www.videonizer-soft.com/

I have looked at the tutorials. The app still looks like it's still under development and not mature yet. The tutorials are not helpful since they contain no audio instruction. If anyone out there has tested this app out, please post a comment on whether it would be smart to spend scores of hours building a video clip database using this software app.

Also has anyone out there worked at a TV News station? What software app do they use when they have a need to replay and therefore find a 5 minute video clip that was aired 3 years ago? I'm sure they are using some kind of video organizer database that has all kinds of video clips catalogued. What app do they rely on for fast retrieval of any video clip they need to find among thousands of video clips? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone out there please let me know what app TV news stations use to organize what a are most likely thousands of video clips so that they can quickly retrieve any video in very little time. Any info appreciated. Thnks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, I'm considering putting my videos in Itunes. Itunes allows to attach following metainformation to each video (which works already good for my music):
    * Date downloaded (automatic)
    * Year of production
    * Artists (actors)
    * Componist (producer)
    * Genre
    * Comments (custom keywords)
    * Playcount (automatic)
    Next you can search for combinations of these criteria using smart playlists.

But I am somewhat unhappy with the way playcount is tracked. Playcount is only updated if you watch a video till the end.

Question:
    Does somebody happen to know an alternative program that tracks how many hours I spent watching a video instead of the number of times?

This information is rather important to me since it's an accurate indicator which videos I enjoy.
    Last edited by Freek; 14th May 2012 at 12:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No APP can touch this for VIDEO, Music, Pics and text

All cel phones can now shoot video. This Apps latest features make good use of those capabilities.

Video cataloging is completely different from Pictures. There are many segments in a video that may need explaining; from the perspective of shooter. RAW video doesn't include the whole story. And you can seldom verbally explain things on the fly. So large text with the video is the answer. It's easy to skip the text to just watch the video.

Being able to randomly sample these video segments along with the textual details; helps keep you in touch with your digital info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzULqlf8598 (Slow Motion Demo and Faster Than Sight Objects) Check this demonstration out.

The Time-Line Playback method requires no editing; so you only have the original videos to catalog. No mess of tiny video snippets cluttering up your computer.

What a powerful training / teaching tool this app is.

--- sharing knowledge is what teaching is all about ---

http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/t/13917.aspx A thread titled "Nobody shares knowledge better than this"

The thread goes on for over 2500 replies. Everything you need to know about control and access to your digital data is there.

When you have lots of data like you do there is a need to randomly sample it now and again to stay in touch. Video without comments quickly lose their relevance.

Super Large font (48 point and more) makes it possible for those with impaired vision to read...

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/slomo_demo.htm

With the above link you can download test video, along with the control file and FREE MultiMedia Application
    This app works on Windows and Linux systems (and most likely the Mac)

Over 2800 videos up on YouTube under SpectateSwamp and over 10,000 total; So I know VIDEO too

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan
    stondan@telusplanet.net
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by binar View Post
    Thanks Hoser Rob for the post.

Has anyone out there tried this app called Videonizer?

I have looked at the tutorials. The app still looks like it's still under development and not mature yet. The tutorials are not helpful since they contain no audio instruction. If anyone out there has tested this app out, please post a comment on whether it would be smart to spend scores of hours building a video clip database using this software app.
    Hello binar.
    I am the author of Videonizer.
    The application has been improved a lot since that times.
    I am going to record new tutorial/demo clips.
    Feel free to ask any question.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vee-Hive can do everything you need...

http://www.veehive.x10.mx
    Last edited by VideophileII; 12th Mar 2013 at 08:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously, your back-end is going to be Access? This I have to see...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Has anyone found something good? I still haven't found a good program.
    Also, does anyone has an answer to this question proposed: "...has anyone out there worked at a TV News station? What software app do they use when they have a need to replay and therefore find a 5 minute video clip that was aired 3 years ago? I'm sure they are using some kind of video organizer database that has all kinds of video clips catalogued. What app do they rely on for fast retrieval of any video clip they need to find among thousands of video clips? Any help will be greatly appreciated."
    Quote Quote  
  11. "Real" newsrooms use systems like Avid Interplay which is scalable. Is that what you are looking for?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    "Real" newsrooms use systems like Avid Interplay which is scalable. Is that what you are looking for?
    Yes, something like their Avid Interplay-MAM
    https://www.avid.com/US/products/Interplay-MAM/InterplayMAMFeatures

I don't need it that robust but something like it.
    I've been looking for a video manager for my personal videos (not for Movies, TV, etc...). If I want something for Movies and the like there is a ton of good software, such as XMBC.
    What I want is the ability to tag videos, mass edit/create tags as well, backup the database, and have redundancy if a file is moved so that I can either point the program to the right place or the program will search for the file in some manner.
    Quote Quote  
  13. More like Adobe Bridge?
    Quote Quote  
  14. I had tried it but it was still a little clunky (for just videos to me), along with Sony's Media Manager, but I've been kicking around the idea and sucking it up and using it. Bridge is better than Sony's. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Oh, and in the past I was looking for a solution on both Windows and Linux, so that was a limiting factor, but I am at the point I don't care as much as finding a good solution.
    Last edited by ByteShare; 19th Sep 2014 at 17:00. Reason: Adding in clarification of opinion
    Quote Quote  
  15. Adobe seems to fail when with my video collection of 1000s of files because it uses a lot of HD space, over 100 gigs. I'm testing Daminion now and it seems better but I need to verify how it saves tags.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using this for years...very configurable... & nice interface.

http://www.collectorz.com/movie/features.php#browsing
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    I've been using this for years...very configurable... & nice interface.
    http://www.collectorz.com/movie/features.php#browsing
    Thank you for the suggestion but CollectorZ doesn't seem to have the support I need. I'm not dealing with movies or tv shows. More family videos, project videos, and footage for video filler.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ByteShare, Can I ask, please, what is lacking in Vee-Hive as far as your requirements are concerned? I designed it pretty much for what you appear to have in mind...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    Hi ByteShare, Can I ask, please, what is lacking in Vee-Hive as far as your requirements are concerned? I designed it pretty much for what you appear to have in mind...
    One is Speed, but Also, Vee-Hive suffers the same issues that Daminion does, which has been the best solution thus far (for me), and that pitfall is there isn't a way to save tags to files that sticks, so I can read them again from the program.
    The problem I have is sometimes I need to rename several files (100s even), or move them around from folder to folder as I decide to organize better or a project deems the merit to spend the effort.
    With Daminion I can get around everything but the renaming issue. See, I don't want to have to relink 100s of files, nor do I want to feel stuck with the files once I've added them to a database.
    I was hoping to use an organization program, in conjunction with the ease of using filenames and folders.
    Let me know if I'm mistaken about Vee-Hive.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aah, OK. I see that you have a strong requirement for underlying file-system management functionality (move, rename, delete, etc). Vee-Hive tries where it can to move away from the file-system so it probably isn't what you are looking for. The Vee-Hive world-view is that the file system doesn't matter since it is the window into all of the underlying files, regardless of where they are stored.

As far as embedding tags within the meta-data of files themselves is concerned, my own personal take on this is that it is do-able BUT there is no standard in terms of what this embedded structure should look like. Consequently, I have always been opposed to doing this (or even attempting it) in Vee-Hive since (in my view) it's a pointless exercise if other software is unable to make use of that embedded data. Hence, in Vee-Hive, all user-meta-data is externalised (within a Vee-Hive Library).

Oh, as far as speed in concerned your comment surprises me since I found Vee-Hive to be much faster at results-fetching than Damion and a few other similar programs. Or were you referring to some other aspect of the program?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I can't seem to get away from the file-system management, but I've been trying to expand my way of doing things, so maybe in the future.

For meta data Damion uses either their own or XMP, but the problem I've had is I can see it write the XMP data but if I re-import something it won't read the XMP data, even if I can still view it in the program (tag data). I don't mind not having tag data, but like with the file-system stuff, but I need a way of maintaining some of the data if I need to re-import things.

When I was doing a comparison of importing with Vee-Hive and Damion 3.3, and also search fetching, for me at least Damion seemed to be the winner, I wouldn't say by miles but I had noticeably more lag on Vee-Hive. I wouldn't say Damion is smooth sailing, but no product I've tried has been with 5-10K files (depending on my tests).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for pointing out the XMP stuff - I haven't looked into that area of meta-data for years and wasn't aware that this was now an ISO standard!

Regardless, it is one thing to define a standard for embedding the data but something else entirely to ensure that that data is shareable across applications unless all such applications share a common approach to using it. Example: Anybody can create and embed a tag called 'French' but what would it mean to another application if it were to read that tag unless there is a defined context for it. French Language? French Nationality? French Dressing? Answer: Not very much, because there is no standard ID's for those tags that could support such an interpretation. And that's before one even considers the place that a tag might occupy in a hierarchy because these might be use-case specific and entirely meaningless to anything but one applications or user's point of view. It's not as straight-forward a problem as simply getting meta-data inside a file, however attractive a proposition that may seem. Having said that, it does of course work very well for music files since all we want to say about them is pretty much the same regardless of application; i.e. genre, artist, year, etc.

Hope that all makes sense....

As far as speed of searching is concerned, I don't know what else to say; I have created libraries of c20K files and can perform pretty complex searches on them pretty much instantaneously? Damian, may have the edge on importing, though - I don't recall - but since that is largely a one-off exercise...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by binar View Post
    Has anyone out there tried this app called Videonizer? The app still looks like it's still under development
    Yeah, several years passed.
    Just letting you know, Videonizer 4 with multimedia view and animated thumbnails for items has been released.
    It looks like the app is mature enough

Introduction of Multimedia view on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxaVaQDrHBA

You might want to have a quick look:

Last edited by ScorpBY; 29th Oct 2017 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Earlier this year I released Video Hub App - software aimed directly at managing a video collection numbering in thousands of videos. The feature it brings that others lack is previewing screenshots from the file by hovering over the thumbnail (or viewing it as a filmstrip). It's super-fast, has advanced search/filter options, and works on PC, Mac, and Linux.

Hope it's useful to someone here too: https://videohubapp.com/
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	46849  

Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi yboris,

I had a little play with your app and it has some nice features, in terms of visual effects, but not much else of substance that can't be found in more mature programs. The tagging system, for example, is fairly primitive and, if managing many thousands of videos, this is probably the most important thing that such a program should have, IMO. Take a look at Vee-Hive if you want to see how a powerful tagging system works. The same could be said of your filtering; the only thing that is permissable, currently, is positive inclusion, i.e. there is no implementation of AND and OR-type operations.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thank you for the detailed response @VideophileII -- I appreciate feedback.
    There is an option to have inclusive / exclusive (AND / OR filters) for both file name and folder name (since many people organize by folders too).
    There is also an option to exclude files.
    Unfortunately they are not obviously present -- you have to read through the settings/options menu (not good UX, I know)

The current "tags" are just auto-extracted from file names and are not meta-data for the video, but since it's the #1 most-requested feature I'm thinking of adding them in early 2019: future features roadmap.

it's feedback like yours that helps me improve the app -- cheers!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.png
Views:	194
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	46857  

Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I see how your current tagging works. But having auto-assigned tags is not a particularly good idea, IMO, unless you allow the user to create the rules for when they are derived and assigned. Under your current approach, the user is left to remove all of the unwanted tags that your auto-generation process creates (potentially over-and-over again). In the true sense, they aren't even tags at all; they are simply a readily-accessble means of identifying files with a particular string in their filename, which is already achievable via your text-input box.

As suggested before, take a look at Vee-Hive for a good approach to tagging, as introduced here;

https://www.vee-hive.net/moreontagging

By the way, I'm the author of that program, in case you weren't aware. Feel free to ask me anything I can help with; I support your charity-endeavour...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thank you VideophileII for offering to answer questions! And awesome job with making Vee-Hive -- it's full of features!

With my files, I've always been resistant to tags -- they result in 'vendor lock-in' -- typically you can't take them to another software. There is a lot of start-up costs (unless you start your collection very small) in tagging all the files.

Personally, I've opted for minimal tagging directly in a file's file-name, but that's unwieldy with many tags. I'll think long and hard about how to implement tags well, might take some inspiration from Vee-Hive (though it's a bit too advanced for what I'll likely aim to achieve), and possibly send out a survey to people who bought my app to see if they want to give feedback. I'll likely try to tackle tagging in first quarter of 2019.

Cheers!
    Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yboris View Post
    With my files, I've always been resistant to tags -- they result in 'vendor lock-in' -- typically you can't take them to another software.
    Agree. I touch upon the the surrounding issues in posts #21 and #23 above...

However, the world moves on and there may come a day when standards emerge for such things. Hopefully, I've designed things flexibly enough in Vee-Hive to be prepared for that and, in the mean-time, my users have access to tagging functionality. As a matter of fact, I have successfully migrated a Sony Vegas Library into Vee-Hive, in the past. Besides that, my back-end is completely open (just a SQLite database), so anybody can extract what they see fit and import it into whatwever format they like (if they have the requisite SQL knowledge).
    Last edited by VideophileII; 10th Oct 2018 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    Hopefully, I've designed things flexibly enough in Vee-Hive to be prepared for that and, in the mean-time, my users have access to tagging functionality. As a matter of fact, I have successfully migrated a Sony Vegas Library into Vee-Hive, in the past. Besides that, my back-end is completely open (just a SQLite database), so anybody can extract what they see fit and import it into whatwever format they like (if they have the requisite SQL knowledge).
    Hello, I'm writing because I just happened across this thread while looking for a video "database" that I might use to at least try and organize some of my collections, so when I saw your link to "Vee-Hive" I thought I'd check it out. So I did, and I was unsure how to respond because I feel like I must be missing something incredibly huge here and I can't figure out if I'm just a complete idiot, or what.

The problem is this: I find Vee-Hive completely useless, while also being extremely frustrating to the point I went to the forums and documentation to see if anybody had any experience close to mine. Perhaps my install was broken? I wondered. So far I've installed it on two computers and got the same experience both times, which I'll describe here because I still can't make heads or tails of it.

First and most basic: I install Vee-Hive, create a library, and while I get a display of thumbnail links in a viewing window to the video files in the folder, I can do absolutely nothing with them afterwards -- I can't name them, I can't tag them, there's just no easy way to figure out just what the heck to do with them. If I right-click on a file, I figure there MUST be a way I can just name the file, or create a new tag, or anything. Nope. I can see a tag window but it's empty and I can't enter anything in it. You mention how robust your tag system is but I'll be damned if I can even figure out how to sort by title! I can't even add a title! I can't see any file information unless I hover over the thumbnail -- I can do that in file explorer.

Again I checked through the docs, where I find help entries like this:

Tagging Files
    Drag and Drop from the File Browser to the required Tag in the Library Browser. If an unselected file is dropped, only that file will be tagged. If a selected file is dropped, it and all others that are selected will be tagged, hence it is possible to tag many files in one operation.

I suppose that's all well and good -- if there was any way to figure out how to create a tag in the first place! Like I said, I can't even figure out how to put a title on an entry. I can't see any file information anywhere. I absolutely am stumped at how to use this program.

Now it's certainly possible the solution is so obvious that I'm going right past it, but if so, I can't imagine how anybody who hasn't used a computer before would ever intuit how the hell to use your program. For the record I do tech support and while I'm not much of a programmer, I do actually know how to use mySQL as a database back-end and have successfully installed and configured more than a few web front-end databases in my time, so I'm not a complete tyro. Assuming your program actually works, I can see why it's not more popular -- it's got one of the worst, if not the worst, user interfaces I've ever experienced, enough so that I'm writing here because all I can think is that I've got a broken copy.

If it's not broken, if that's the way your program works (or doesn't work) -- sorry, I'm out.
    Quote Quote