VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ozymango - and thanks for the kind words

To create a Tag category, or a tag, or etc., use the menu options (right there on the Library menu), called New tag Category, New tag, etc. Or right-click anywhere in the Library Tree (on the left).

All explained here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/videophile/the-library-tree-t29.html

To change a title from the default (which is the filename), open it in the File Inspector and click on the Edit Title button (bottom-right), or double-click on the Title itself.

To sort by title, switch to ListView and click on the Title column header (as you would in Explorer)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and you can also change the title by dragging text from anywhere in Windows and dropping that text onto a thumbnail, with the CTRL key down. (And you can drag text and drop it without CTRL down, to set a description for the file).

Also, you can set a title by copying text to the clipboard and right-clicking on a thumbnail and pasting it there.

Perhaps you missed this link, which is (admittedly) no longer prominent since FreeForums moved over to Tapatalk:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/videophile/index-of-content-t50.html

By the way, I'm, quite interested to know how you would have designed the functionality surrounding the creation of new tags, that you would have found more intuitive than what is there. Genunine question. I've added the capability to both the Library menu and a context (i.e. right-click) menu in the area where tags are actually organised and displayed but that, apparently, isn't enough for somebody to 'intuit' from. So what is?
    Last edited by VideophileII; 18th Oct 2018 at 15:24.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    Oh, and you can also change the title by dragging text from anywhere in Windows and dropping that text onto a thumbnail, with the CTRL key down. (And you can drag text and drop it without CTRL down, to set a description for the file).
    Hi, thanks for the fast response. And I really and truly wish I could be more complimentary, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but -- this just doesn't work. I don't get any error messages, it just doesn't bloody do anything. I'm using your version 1.8.9.7, downloaded directly from your site, I've tried on a Windows 7 (SP1) x64 machine, a Windows 10 x64 (build 1703), and I get no error message, but this just doesn't do anything -- I see the option to paste text as title and description, but nothing happens when I actually try and paste.

There is no option to change the title and/or description from any thumbnail or any view -- the window is there for the title and description, but there is no access to it; if there's an edit box, it's greyed out (it looks like there might be some greyed-out options).

Seriously, there must be something broken here, so I'll give you that -- but I'm not getting any error messages so I don't even know where to look for possibly helpful debugging info.

That being said, your tag system just doesn't work for me -- I can certainly understand that for some people, making a specific tag, or group of tags first, and then dragging the files/names to that tag group might be useful ... but man that's just a lot of steps for what should be (I think) dead simple: Have a "tag" box on the actual file name, and then type in your tags, separated by semi-colons (e.g. "cats; animals; pets; 8mm") and then tab to the next one. I admit I have no idea how to program something like that, but as a fr'instance on a really nice user interface that's also very intuitive, check out Cerious' "Thumbsplus", you can download a trial copy at www.cerious.com. I actually own a copy, I've used it since version 7 but it's really aimed at photos, not videos, so it's a bit clunky at previewing videos. That's my only gripe with Thumbsplus.

Perhaps you missed this link, which is (admittedly) no longer prominent since FreeForums moved over to Tapatalk:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/videophile/index-of-content-t50.html
    Screenshots, my friend, screenshots! You're trying to sell us a video organizer, a visual video organizer, sell it with visuals, not words. Yeah it's a lot more work to do screen shots and/or video clips, but it'd be great to see a little walk-through on how things work: Obviously you've got a "style" in your software flow that is 180 degrees off from mine because it would never occur to me to create a list of tags first, one at a time, and then drag my videos into the tags, I'd drop the tags onto each video as I go.

By the way, I'm, quite interested to know how you would have designed the functionality surrounding the creation of new tags, that you would have found more intuitive than what is there. Genunine question. I've added the capability to both the Library menu and a context (i.e. right-click) menu in the area where tags are actually organised and displayed but that, apparently, isn't enough for somebody to 'intuit' from. So what is?
    See above, the part where tags are an entry box on the preview of the video, just type words for each tag, separated by semi-colons, and that auto-generates the tag(s). Again I have no clue *how* to do that, but that's what I'd like to see. Check out Thumbsplus for how they do it, that's my preferred method as well.

But first and foremost: My copy of your software isn't working. What version(s) of Windows 7/8/10 have you tested this on? And do I have the correct current build of your software? I can pretty easily build a Windows 7/8/10 machine, x86 or x64, does this not work on an x64 system even if installed as a 32-bit application? Any troubleshooting advice is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll address your points in bits-and-bobs...

Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
    That being said, your tag system just doesn't work for me -- I can certainly understand that for some people, making a specific tag, or group of tags first, and then dragging the files/names to that tag group might be useful ... but man that's just a lot of steps for what should be (I think) dead simple: Have a "tag" box on the actual file name, and then type in your tags, separated by semi-colons (e.g. "cats; animals; pets; 8mm") and then tab to the next one. I admit I have no idea how to program something like that, but as a fr'instance on a really nice user interface that's also very intuitive, check out Cerious' "Thumbsplus", you can download a trial copy at www.cerious.com. I actually own a copy, I've used it since version 7 but it's really aimed at photos, not videos, so it's a bit clunky at previewing videos. That's my only gripe with Thumbsplus.
    OK. I get why you'd say that. But, within Vee-Hive, tags can relate to other tags. See here: https://www.vee-hive.net/moreontagging

Because of this all tags need a home! Creating NEW tags by simply typing a delimited list would be an absurd approach to this because, subsequently, those tags would have to be placed into a home somewhere within a Category (or potentially a sub-catgeory).

Now, if you are talking about tagging a file with tags that already exist, the program does actually behave very close to the way that you describe: See the Manage Tags dialog (accessible by right-clicking on a thumbnail).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks for the fast response. And I really and truly wish I could be more complimentary, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but -- this just doesn't work. I don't get any error messages, it just doesn't bloody do anything. I'm using your version 1.8.9.7, downloaded directly from your site, I've tried on a Windows 7 (SP1) x64 machine, a Windows 10 x64 (build 1703), and I get no error message, but this just doesn't do anything -- I see the option to paste text as title and description, but nothing happens when I actually try and paste.
    I don't know what to tell you about this. I've never seen it not working before. Ever. On any machine. If there's text on the clipboard, then a right-click on a thumbnail will permit pasting of that text as either the Title or Description for that file.

Likewise if you drag-and-drop text onto a thumbnail. Never seen it not work. Ever.

I'll spend some time looking into this, though, if you are certain that you are not doing anything wrong...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

There is no option to change the title and/or description from any thumbnail or any view -- the window is there for the title and description, but there is no access to it; if there's an edit box, it's greyed out (it looks like there might be some greyed-out options).
    A file has to be open in the File Inspector for you to be able to modify its Title and Description there. See here.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/videophile/the-file-inspector-t31.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Screenshots, my friend, screenshots! You're trying to sell us a video organizer, a visual video organizer, sell it with visuals, not words. Yeah it's a lot more work to do screen shots and/or video clips, but it'd be great to see a little walk-through on how things work:
    The forum had many screenshots but they have, over time, disappeared (the program is over 10 years old). I'm aware that much of it is out-of-date but I don't have the inclination to do it all again, at the moment.

And, nope, I'm not trying to sell it to anybody, really. Vee-Hive certainly isn't my job. It's a program that I created for myself and decided to share for free. The reason there's a Pro version is that I've added things for specific people and the Pro version kinda pays for those extras. I don't even market Vee-Hive. Never have. But I've watched a few clones come along and rip off a whole bunch of my ideas!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But first and foremost: My copy of your software isn't working. What version(s) of Windows 7/8/10 have you tested this on? And do I have the correct current build of your software? I can pretty easily build a Windows 7/8/10 machine, x86 or x64, does this not work on an x64 system even if installed as a 32-bit application? Any troubleshooting advice is appreciated!
    Yes, you have the latest offical version.

The only thing we've established as not working is adding Titles and Descriptions via the methods discussed a few posts above. Everything else, I believe, I've addressed. Do I have that right? By the way, it used to be tested on XP onwards. Now I only test on Win 7+. Saying that, I'm careful not to add features that don't work on XP (though I don't guarantee it).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Iam using Ant movie catalog. Satisfied with it. Not sure how much it is safe program, or scripts included, so not advertising. Lot of these scripts doesn't work because old and internet changes, but main are maintained still. I mean pages are not static, changed in time. But it exactly does, what I want. Of course more you care about your db, better result you get.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, one thing you are yet to appreciate, because you do not yet have a 'mature' structure for your Library, is just how little tagging you'd have to do in Vee-Hive (via the Manage Tags' dialog) in order to play-out your 'cats; pets; animals' (and similar scenarios).

Also there will be lots of automatically determined suggestions to help with that, based upon the tags present on similarly-named files (plus some other things that I won't divulge)

If you ever come to realise that, I am very confident that you will see that my approach to tag-management is far more flexible and robust than your often-repeated example. It may be familiar, but brother it aint great!
    Last edited by VideophileII; 18th Oct 2018 at 17:11. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Iam using Ant movie catalog.
    Ant Movie Catalog is for mainstream movies/TV. This thread is about video organisers for non-mainstream content, i.e. home movies, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have already collection of my home MiniDV here too. It is customizable so who want to use it for whatever purpose he can. I think the limit is in head of user here. Yes scripts are aimed this way, but you can do any db and ask filter what you want. For me is it ordinary db program mainly for movie/tv (because of scripts) but not only.
    I don't want any software war. Iam not related to any developers. So i mentioned what i using thats all.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post

A file has to be open in the File Inspector for you to be able to modify its Title and Description there. See here.

Yeah, I get that -- I'm saying it's not an option for me. That is, it doesn't work. You're describing something that I can see where it's supposed to work, but it doesn't work. The title is empty. The description is empty. I can see the empty fields -- I can't edit them. There are NO editing options. Believe me, I've looked. There is definitely something broken here. I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying the program doesn't run on my Windows 10 machine. If it is running correctly, then ... well, then it's truly awful because there is literally no way any average human being could figure out how to edit the name and description of any file, and/or tag any files, because there MUST be something not working correctly here.

I don't expect you to fix anything, I was just mostly curious as to what might be going on here because I couldn't figure out (based on my experiences) how it could be that hard to use. Apparently it's not hard to use at all IF it's working properly. It just ain't installing right on my machine, that's all. So I'm cool -- from your website I thought maybe you were more actively working on the prog so I offer my comments here only if you're actively developing the program and are looking for more particular feedback. I'm happy to play with this just as an experiment in software testing (that's part of my day job, actually) so that's where I'm coming from.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I do work on Vee-Hive from time-to-time but I have other projects on the go. I like to make sure it remains functional, though, and occasionally add new things. It's definitely not unsupported. Let's call it lethargically active!

I'd very much appreciate your assistance in resolving all of this - thanks. It does actually bug me when something is not working for somebody because it makes me wonder who else it isn't working for.

Would you mind continuing at my forum? Here doesn't feel like the right place for this dialogue...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post

Would you mind continuing at my forum? Here doesn't feel like the right place for this dialogue...
    Sounds good, I'll see you over there, I'll try to work up some screenshots and (ideally) a video clip of what I'm experiencing, much easier to diagnose that way. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  17. For those who were asking, Video Hub App is now open source! https://github.com/whyboris/Video-Hub-App
    Cheers!
    Last edited by yboris; 3rd Dec 2018 at 17:28.
    Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
  18. Use Long Filenames for all files
    My app can even determine the start point and play speed of a video from the FN
    Better than metadata, folders, hashtags & thumbnails
    Quote Quote  
  19. My video app is designed for using Long FileNames.
    I use the FN to determine the start point and play length for a video segment.. AND more
    It does a catalog of all the Videos on C and creates a 2 line extract file.
    The first line is the search details line and the 2nd is the path to said video.

I just recently realized how important this is for curating video. But it's never too late.

Having too many folders and sub folders makes it hard to find files manually.
    With long filenames and a good media app.. Things are easy and simple.
    Start using extra long descriptive filenames today..
    I could load this app ... Do a quick catalog of your files...
    Find and play by the long filenames.. within minutes.
    To find all 4 videos with "bear/seacre/road/2019"
    brown bear beside seacrest road20190522113734

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6_eaYJNoM

brown bear beside seacrest road20190522113659

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfD0_Dcml1Q

brown bear beside seacrest road20190522113825

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voHwlIFwiKY

brown bear beside seacrest road20190522114245

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqbR3V1b128

long live long filenames... Boo Directory Folders MetaData Tags & ThumbNails
    Boo Structured Data
    Boo Structured Programming
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Boo to Metadata? What do you think you are doing when you move everything into the filename? Hate to break it to you, but you just created some metadata.

And how do you create more than one segment per file? Create a copy of the file and re-name it with the other start and end point?

Neat. Back to the meds for you, Swampy...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    Boo to Metadata? What do you think you are doing when you move everything into the filename? Hate to break it to you, but you just created some metadata.

And how do you create more than one segment per file? Create a copy of the file and re-name it with the other start and end point?

Neat. Back to the meds for you, Swampy...
    Nope there were filenames long before MetaData..
    If I want to do more than one segment per file... I copy the entire file.. SIMPLE
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So let's say I had a 2GB file and I want to create 100 segments from it; I'd need 200GB of data storage to achieve that with your program, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    So let's say I had a 2GB file and I want to create 100 segments from it; I'd need 200GB of data storage to achieve that with your program, correct?
    Nope not at all.
    KEEP the original always...
    Make just 20 or so 100 mb files You don;t need to make them too small or perfectly sized
    it's about 100 mb per 2 minutes of video.
    The longer the file the slower it is, for a start point late in the file.. AND computers are all about speed..

When doing random videos I limit the result range to less than 3 minutes.. If the file is longer I just set the max for the random number to 3 minutes
    What fool would shoot more than that time anyway.
    Now anytime when I send out a video or picture I do the rename thing... It's too big a job to undertake all at once and when I'm lazy.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So to continue with my example, I'd need to split my 2GB file into the individual segments I'm interested in, and then rename all those smaller files with words that describe them, in order that I can find them later on? i.e. the metadata that you claim you don't need is contained in the filenames?

I can't take you seriously, I'm afraid. This is just crazy.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ozymango View Post
    Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post

I don't expect you to fix anything, I was just mostly curious as to what might be going on here because I couldn't figure out (based on my experiences) how it could be that hard to use. Apparently it's not hard to use at all IF it's working properly. It just ain't installing right on my machine, that's all. So I'm cool -- from your website I thought maybe you were more actively working on the prog so I offer my comments here only if you're actively developing the program and are looking for more particular feedback. I'm happy to play with this just as an experiment in software testing (that's part of my day job, actually) so that's where I'm coming from.
    My search has similar problems with windows 10 it doesn't like doing the Video length command.. So I use an older windows to get that info.
    I don't know what I'd have done if... I didn't have an earlier version where I had success... How would one ever know.
    Another time the VB5 build wouldn't produce a good exe.. But my earlier machine would..
    Having someone to test the software is a great benefit..
    Geeze I have features that I haven't even tested out fully.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    So to continue with my example, I'd need to split my 2GB file into the individual segments I'm interested in, and then rename all those smaller files with words that describe them, in order that I can find them later on? i.e. the metadata that you claim you don't need is contained in the filenames?

I can't take you seriously, I'm afraid. This is just crazy.
    Your 2GB file is too big to be sending to anybody ... so it is useless in a way.
    I never need to break up files because why on Earth would I shoot something that long...

I even shoot super short video clips... like less than a second or 2... Because I want to quickly locate the
    video clip I shot right before... Ie a VIP shot..
    If there were hundreds of shoots during the day, then the important ONE is easy to locate.
    A short clip could be used to indicate the start point in a group... ie find a match that has a len=? less than 5 seconds and play from there... Easy to do. By Me.

It's so much easier to do a quick check of a brand new short video ... change the name to represent it's contents and maybe the focal point and geo location...
    then curate the next clip ..

If you don't have great access to your data via the Long FileName... Then you are just a hoarder.. Boo
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So your program makes the following assumptions about the person that is using it:

1) That they only want or need small-sized files
    2) That they are only interested in short videos (duration-wise)

Does it occur to you that there may be people in existence that don't meet those criteria. Honestly, they do exist! Crazy, eh? What advice would you give to somebody who is filming, say, a soccer match? That they should agree with the players when the highlights will occur before the match starts?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    So your program makes the following assumptions about the person that is using it:

1) That they only want or need small-sized files
    2) That they are only interested in short videos (duration-wise)

Does it occur to you that there may be people in existence that don't meet those criteria. Honestly, they do exist! Crazy, eh? What advice would you give to somebody who is filming, say, a soccer match? That they should agree with the players when the highlights will occur before the match starts?
    Who on Earth needs to tag all the video clips into one huge one.. My player goes from one to the next in a fraction of a second.. And no editing..
    What other than surveillance does continuous video.
    I have shot some kids soccer and kept all the shots short. Just a quick stop / restart .. so very little is missed.
    If a goal gets scored.. I would shoot a short 2 or 3 second clip.. Then upload that clip only right after the game.. Kids love seeing THEIR fresh video.
    I alway or almost always try to frame the beginning of outdoor clips with a nice opening view.. then finish off with something special if possible..
    My app can do a catalog where the playback of the files is the first 3 seconds and the last 3 seconds .... for quick sampling..

Now I'm gonna name all my video files to include geo tagging...
    49°14'14.7"N 119°34'12.9"W
    is the location for the brown bear on seacrest hill road..
    brown bear beside seacrest road 49°14'14.7"N 119°34'12.9"W 20190522113734.mpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6_eaYJNoM

Who says using long filenames is stupid..
    You had better not be sneaking around assigning long file names VideophileIISwamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seDWDrxJNTA

It's simple to organize when you know how... Like My Swampies

Shoot some fantastic video

Off load to my pc

Put some details in the filename .. then add the geo-location..

Then upload to YouTube
    AND

I'm done..

No lingering anxiety for having a mess of VIDEO
    Last edited by SpectateSwamp; 17th Jul 2019 at 16:32.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Video Hub App 2 released 🎉

https://videohubapp.com

New features:
    • Tags 🎉 add your own tags to any video
    • Choose number of screenshots per video
    • Sheet view: view every screenshot from a video
    • Optionally extract video clip preview
    • Folder navigation
    • Sort by date added, number of times played, star rating, file size, file name
    • Replace any video thumbnail by dropping an image over the preview
    • Option to open video from the screenshot you click
    • Duplicate finder
    • Hub statistics
    • Options menu grouped into sections
    • Translations in 14 languges
    • Remember window size after app closes
    • Many bugfixes
    • and more 🚀

All feedback welcome 🙇*♂️
    Creator of Video Hub App
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yboris View Post
    Video Hub App 2 released 🎉

https://videohubapp.com

New features:
    • Tags 🎉 add your own tags to any video
    • Choose number of screenshots per video
    • Sheet view: view every screenshot from a video
    • Optionally extract video clip preview
    • Folder navigation
    • Sort by date added, number of times played, star rating, file size, file name
    • Replace any video thumbnail by dropping an image over the preview
    • Option to open video from the screenshot you click
    • Duplicate finder
    • Hub statistics
    • Options menu grouped into sections
    • Translations in 14 languges
    • Remember window size after app closes
    • Many bugfixes
    • and more 🚀

All feedback welcome 🙇*♂️
    I highly recommend the Video Hub App 2 from yboris. I have thousands of videoclips and his software helps me organize them and access them very easiyl. In my opinion the price of 3,50 USd / year is much too low.

Give it a try, you will not be dissappointed. I was definately not
    Quote Quote