VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys

I haven't had to do this in a long time and I forget ...

I have a source that is a 29.970fps progressive AVI

When converting to NTSC DVD do I enable 3:2 pulldown or not?

I'm using HCenc for the video.

I feel like such a newbie asking this LOL

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi Fulci!

If it's true progressive 29.97fps (every frame is unique - no dupe or interlaced frames), then no 3:2 pulldown. The resulting 29.97fps M2V/MPV will be DVD compliant already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks manono

I just ended up encoding it at 29.970fps (without pulldown which I realized after posting this that HCenc wouldn't let me select pulldown anyway).
    The resulting DVD plays as does the original AVI. It's not smooth but the original is not either. It (the NTSC DVD encoded video) looks the same as the AVI motion wise.

I looked at the AVI in VirtualDub just now and it seems to be have a pattern of ... well I dunno what you would call it. Every two frames are identical. So frame 1 and 2 are the same, then frame 3 & 4 are the same, then frame 5 and 6 are the same etc.

This was recorded from some "YOU TUBE" like website. A chinese site no less (the film is a rare Shaw Brothers film that has never had a DVD or better release).

Is there anything I can do to make it better?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    All I have is this AVI file. There is nothing better that I could find.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  4. if every frame pair in the AVI is a duplicate, then the fps of the AVI is actually 15. So if you used selecteven() or selectodd() to drop the duplicates, this would give you 15 fps (unique frames)

you can try to generate synthetic "inbetween" frames with mvtools2, but you probably won't get good results on an action movie like shaw brothers kung fu flick (there will be weird edge morphing artifacts)

you can try mflowfps, or interframe for example
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=160226
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried playing around with interframe but it seems to want to make it 60fps even if I do a selecteven() first with decomb

Unless my scripting is wrong. Sigh.
    Quote Quote  
  6. you can try mflowfps

I randomly chose SelectEven(), but you can just choose SelectOdd() if you want

Code:
    AVISource("video.avi")
    SelectEven()

source=last

super = source.MSuper(pel=2)
    backward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = true, search=3)
    forward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = false, search=3)
    source.MFlowFps(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, blend=false, num=30000, den=1001)

Are you certain the pattern holds throughout the entire video ? duplicate frames ?
    Quote Quote