VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some animated material from VHS sources with very bad problems with ghost images, and would really like to get some suggestions on how to deal with it. I have tried everything I've come across and searched both this and other forums, but haven't been able to reduce the ghosting at all.

I have attached a couple of screenshots from one of the episodes, and the ghosting seems to be consistent across the entire episodes. I'd be happy to upload a sample of the actual video file, if that helps though.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the ghosting on this video? I realize it's too bad to be able to get rid of it altogether, but hopefully something can be done in AviSynth or VirtualDub to at least limit the damage and make it less annoying.

Unfortunately the actual VHS tapes have since been damaged, so I can't capture them again. So I can only work with the current files. But as other episodes of the same show recorded with the same VCR looks fine, it appears to have been a problem with the original broadcast somehow.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 1.png
Views:	1482
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	11093  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2.png
Views:	1643
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	11094  

Quote Quote  
  2. There is a virtualdub filters called Exorcist to tackle this issue

ghost shift: -2 / ghost intensity: +27
    If the ghost intensity is below that threshold the ghosting is still very visible
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	11095  

*** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe it was blend deinterlaced?

Is there a pattern to the blends? Any clear frames at all?

Maybe a video sample would help
    Quote Quote  
  4. themaster1: Thanks for the suggestion. Although far from perfect, your sample is definitely a big improvement, so I will try that plugin.

poisondeathray: I can't see any clear frames at a first glance, but they all look similar to this. However, this is an American TV show (NTSC) and was broadcast on a Swedish television network (PAL), so at some point it has definitely gone through some sort of NTSC to PAL conversion. And as we all know, such transfers can mess things up quite a bit.

Anyway, I have attached a 45 second sample of this video, so you can take a closer look and see if you can make any sense out of all this or can suggest anything to improve the video.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you are capturing from VHS, how did your Yogi sample become mp4?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Maybe it was blend deinterlaced?

Is there a pattern to the blends? Any clear frames at all?

Maybe a video sample would help
    If I view the video one frame at a time (without using SeparateFields) starting with frame 10 I see:

a a a b c c c cd d de d de e ef f fg g

If I use Separate Fields() I see everything twice.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    If I view the video one frame at a time (without using SeparateFields) starting with frame 10, I see:

a ab b bc c cd d de e ef f fg g gh h hi i
    That would be easy to fix. But the pattern shifts after a while.

SRestore(frate=12) gets rid of most of the blended frames and leaves fairly smooth motion. Some fine tuning of the frame rate should help. But we need to get back to the original interlaced caps to get a better feel for what's really wrong.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Feb 2012 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote