VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Julie
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am having a problem playing mkv files on my blu ray via both a seagate 1 TB HDD and a core 60GB. I used to use MKVMERGE, and didn't have a problem,however in the last 2 months the blu ray, although seeing the split files (both below 4GB), they are reading as 0.00, rather than the running time. I know it is a problem with the bluray because I can use the core going through a sumvision HD cyclone micro 2 on a different t.v. I have tried MKV2VOB, but have the same problem. I also tried comgenie's awesome file splitter, however that split the file into an MKV and one with an extension called .part, which I could not play. Can anyone advise me of a programme for splitting files that will work? Or is there a setting within the blu ray I could have inadvertently changed by mistake?

Thanks

Julie
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you have disabled header compression(file->options) in mkvmergegui?

You can try split with something else like solveigmm avi trimmer and see how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Julie
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick

Thanks for your response, I have just ticked "disable header compression" within MKVmergeGUI, will let you know whether it makes any difference.

Julie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This thread just saddens me. I swear if some damn TV or BD player made people chop off a finger to play a freakin' file there are plenty of people who would do it without question.

Julie - Just get yourself a good media player like a Western Digital or something similar. Splitting files so your BD player can handle them is bs. However, to be fair "header compression" won't work on anything but a PC. It's a great question as to why so many people continue to use it when it introduces compatibility problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Julie
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

Thanks for the heads up re "disabling header compression", it worked. I guess the original MKVMerge already had this ticked?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, appreciate the help!

Julie
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    to be fair "header compression" won't work on anything but a PC.
    The WDTV Live can play MKV files with header removal compression.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It's a great question as to why so many people continue to use it when it introduces compatibility problems.
    Because it's the default in MkvTool now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. depending on WHERE you are going to play the split files (blurays, tvs, especially), you MIGHT have problems with header compression. remove compression in GUI (older versions) or at command line:

mkvmerge --split 1G --compression 0:none --compression 1:none --clusters-in-meta-seek -o "output.mkv" "input.mkv".

this command will split the input.mkv file into 1GB segments input-001.mkv, input-002.mkv, etc.
    Quote Quote