+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JoeBolden View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The OP was looking for a free Blu-Ray player with menu support. At $50 DVDFab Media Player is not free...
    Originally Posted by piccolo135 View Post
    But really I'm after something more like TMT, that plays the BD disc directly and much like a set top player. .... but I'd sooner grab a supported player, or even pay for a fairly cheap supported one.
    ...I'd prefer not to have to decrypt it,...
    "or even pay for a fairly cheap supported one." Since "You wont find anything like TMT that is free"(Baldrick). How would the latest version of DVDFab Media Player at $50 (high end of a fairly cheap supported one) compare to TMT at $100?
    Reviews here at VideoHelp are not very encouraging, and at $50 initially with a $9.99/year renewal fee I'd say it is not cheap either, just less expensive than some of the alternatives at full price.

TMT 6, and PowerDVD 12 versions w/Blu-Ray support do go on sale now and then. WinDVD Pro 11 is on sale now for $50.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Feb 2013 at 16:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. RE DVDFab Media Player

From their webpage
    http://www.dvdfab.com/media-player.htm?vid=avangate&aid=675
    Compare versions:
    DVDFab Media Player offers 30 days free evaluation period, during which, all the features are activated. After 30 days, you need purchase it for continuous use, or it shall become the free version. Meanwhile, the starting year is $49.99, no lifetime option is offered, the $9.99/year renewal fee covers all the upcoming new features, like 3D playback, and all the major upgrades. If you do not renew it after one term, it shall become the free version, too.

Free Version - Play Other Video Files, Play Blu-ray & DVD ISO Files
    Paid Version - plus Play Blu-ray & DVD Discs, Free Upgrade, 48-hour Guaranteed E-mail Support
    Well at least 30 days free evaluation period, during which, all the features are activated. I could care less about prior reviews for earlier versions. I will be giving this one a free try in the next few days.
    Last edited by JoeBolden; 26th Feb 2013 at 21:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I remember some dvds coming with playing software, is that true for BR disks?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    I remember some dvds coming with playing software, is that true for BR disks?
    Yes. Some Pioneer BD burners come with OEM software. For current models it is usually PowerDVD 10, plus PowerDirector 9, Cyberlink's burning software and a trial of their photo software. The software may increase the price of the item by $10 to $20 above where it would be otherwise.

I have a burner that came with the above software. PowerDVD 10 and PowerDirector 9 are incompatible with Windows 8, but functional for Windows 7. I don't know about the other items. I uninstalled them immediately. I'm trying PowerDVD 12, and it seems slightly better in terms of picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    I remember some dvds coming with playing software, is that true for BR disks?
    usually_quiet, I think handyguy was referring to the DVD movie disc itself. Can't think of the name but it was on some disc quite a few years ago. When the disc was inserted it would launch install window. You could opt not to and use your software player. if you did install it allowed some additional features when connected to the internet. There are no such BD disc that have playing software on them. (that I'm aware of) but many have additional features that may work with some of the previous paid software mentioned.

Some burners may come with full BD software player versions or as a package price. Be sure to read the fine print because others will only have 30 or 60 day trial versions and oems most likely have none. EDITED Exception some Pioneer OEM models will come with older standard version of Power DVD 10
    Last edited by JoeBolden; 27th Feb 2013 at 17:45.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some burners may come with full BD software player versions or as a package price. Be sure to read the fine print because others will only have 30 or 60 day trial versions and oems most likely have none.
    I guess the phrase "some Pioneer Burners come with OEM software" in my post isn't clear enough for you.

In the case of the Pioneer models that come with software, OEM software means the software isn't to be sold separately from the burner. The software Pioneer currently supplies with these select models is not a trial version, except for PhotoDirector.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Feb 2013 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2223358]
    I guess the phrase "some Pioneer Burners come with OEM software" in my post isn't clear enough for you.
    In the case of the Pioneer models that come with software, OEM software means the software isn't to be sold separately from the burner. The software Pioneer currently supplies with these select models is not a trial version, except for PhotoDirector.
    Technically you are correct.

Read the reviews PowerDVD 10 is old last update is 2012-02-20 only benefit is a discount mainly to upgrade for $35.95 to Pro 12 $19 off sale price
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129072

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html
    PowerDVD 10 Standard/Deluxe Updates: This update file updates PowerDVD 10 Standard/Deluxe to PowerDVD 10 Standard/Deluxe build 3715. For PowerDVD retail and online purchase versions only. To check the updates for hardware bundled versions, click here for instructions.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=2338
    What's the difference between update and upgrade?

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvd/buy_en_US.html
    Current sale prices as of this reply
    PowerDVD 12 Full Version upgrade $63.95 Save $1.00
    Ultra $ 124.93 $ 64.95 Blu-ray with Dolby 7.1, DVD and TrueTheater
    SAVE $60 Incl. PowerDVD Mobile (iOS/Android) & Remote Valued at $24.98 BONUS MediaEspresso 6.5 ($39.95) +NEW PowerDVD Mobile for Windows 8

Pro $ 79.95 $ 54.95 Blu-ray (Dolby 5.1 only), DVD and TrueTheater Upgrade price $ 35.95 Save $19.00
    BONUS MediaEspresso 6.5 ($39.95)

Standard PowerDVD 12 $49.95 no upgrade price and does not support Blu-ray playback
    Last edited by JoeBolden; 28th Feb 2013 at 08:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Technically you are correct.

Read the reviews PowerDVD 10 is old last update is 2012-02-20 only benefit is a discount mainly to upgrade for $35.95 to Pro 12 $19 off sale price
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129072

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html
    PowerDVD 10 Standard/Deluxe Updates: This update file updates PowerDVD 10 Standard/Deluxe to PowerDVD 10 Standard/Deluxe build 3715. For PowerDVD retail and online purchase versions only. To check the updates for hardware bundled versions, click here for instructions.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=2338
    What's the difference between update and upgrade?

http://www.cyberlink.com/store/powerdvd/buy_en_US.html
    Current sale prices as of this reply
    PowerDVD 12 Full Version upgrade $63.95 Save $1.00
    Ultra $ 124.93 $ 64.95 Blu-ray with Dolby 7.1, DVD and TrueTheater
    SAVE $60 Incl. PowerDVD Mobile (iOS/Android) & Remote Valued at $24.98 BONUS MediaEspresso 6.5 ($39.95) +NEW PowerDVD Mobile for Windows 8

Pro $ 79.95 $ 54.95 Blu-ray (Dolby 5.1 only), DVD and TrueTheater Upgrade price $ 35.95 Save $19.00
    BONUS MediaEspresso 6.5 ($39.95)

Standard PowerDVD 12 $49.95 no upgrade price and does not support Blu-ray playback
    What is your point? I already said the OEM version of PowerDVD that I received was an older version, which is functional when using Windows 7 but not Windows 8.

The Pioneer BDR-208DBK with no software has been selling for $70 at newegg.com and the Pioneer BDR-2208, which can use more types of media and comes with PowerDVD 10 costs $80 at newegg.com.

If someone needs a good Blu-Ray burner and has Windows 7, the OEM software included with the Pioneer BDR-2207 and BDR-2208 models is an inexpensive way to get a decent, proven player, that works with recently released Blu-Ray discs after updating (not upgrading). The OEM software instructs the user to install updates if it detects that it can't play the disc correctly without one. After installing such a software update, Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 played the Blu-Ray of "Brave" without a hitch. As a point of reference an LG 2012 model BP-220 Blu-ray player was unable to play the same disc properly without a firmware update.

Upgrading the OEM PowerDVD 10 software I have to PowerDVD 12 Ultra, Cyberlink's more advanced 3D version, currently costs $39.95. Since I run a dual-boot system for Windows 7 and Windows 8, it may be a worthwhile purchase.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Feb 2013 at 10:48.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think Digiarty makes a free Blu-ray player called DAPlayer:

http://digiarty.com/
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mel_gibson_ View Post
    I think Digiarty makes a free Blu-ray player called DAPlayer:

http://digiarty.com/
    Pure crap.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Baldrick Your right pure crap website has ads for WinX DVD whatever crap and is the same company
    If you google digiarty(dot)com the second result is Digiarty Software winxdvd(dot)com (I won't even provide a hot link).
    But if you go there and click products-> WinX Blu-ray Decrypter They have this message "Sorry, the software is invalid."

WinX software has been discussed on the forum for a few years now I would think if any of them were worth listing in the tools section, Baldrick would have done so.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/317844-WinX-DVD-Ripper-to-DVD?highlight=WinX+DVD+Ripper
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/314085-WinX-Blu-ray-Decrypter-(free-for-a-limited-time)
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MediaPortal can now play your unencrypted Blu-ray discs, including the menus, extras, etc! Development will still be ongoing because BD-J (Blu-ray Java discs) aren't supported (yet) but for now you can enjoy the best video & audio quality right within MediaPortal, without the need of an external video player (like PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre) or a separate Blu-ray player. Besides the playback of encrypted Blu-ray discs there are a few other limitations at the moment about which you can read more in our Wiki.
    Quote Quote  
  13. nothing...
    Last edited by mzso; 13th Mar 2013 at 06:43.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    nothing...
    I don't think so.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, I tried Mediaportal. After I figured out the horrendous UI and added stuff to the playlist, the menu option for blu-ray is not working. It always brings back the "playback select mode" dialog, without giving any error or notification...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So you can't just load a blu-ray/blu-ray folder?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    So you can't just load a blu-ray/blu-ray folder?
    Trying a bit more three worked from about a dozen. One blinked an image for a split second, another showed the selector between extended and theatrical cut, before falling back to the video selector screen. So it's partially working.

It's still a lot more than any other FOSS.
    Quote Quote  
  18. What I read you have to have a decrypter running in background with media portal, such as DVDfab passkey lite for encrypted discs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Steve(MS) View Post
    What I read you have to have a decrypter running in background with media portal, such as DVDfab passkey lite for encrypted discs.
    (If you ment it for me) They're not encrypted, all are blu-ray folders on the hard drive.
    Quote Quote