VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently imported a pair of Invision Slim Line SL7 headrest DVD players from the US to the UK and am trying to make them Region 2 or Region Free. I couldn't find anything in the DVD Hack List for these players, so tried a couple of the more common ones.

By luck, I found that entering 1-3-7-9 in the Setup>General menu popped a hidden menu with versions etc where the Region setting is also displayed, highlighted in green (1st pic)

I also found that entering 1-3-7-9 on the Setup>Preferences menu popped up another menu showing just the Region Code in a grey box (2nd pic)

On either screen, no matter what I press on the remote control, I'm not able to change the region code. I would guess this firmware/OS is used in lots of portable DVD players, so I was hoping someone in this forum might be able to give me some pointers on what to try next... Any suggestions??

(I've already tried entering 2-9-6-0 on the Setup>Exit menu but that doesn't do anything!)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000031.jpg
Views:	3215
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	11039  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000033.jpg
Views:	1899
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	11040  

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I wish you luck as you've already gotten farther than I would guessed but you need to consider the very real possibility that this will never be unlocked.
    1) Speciality players, including DVD/VCR combos, TV/DVD combos, portables, and car players have always been almost impossible to unlock under the best of circumstances and today is no longer the best of circumstances for anything sold in the USA.
    2) Most USA/Canada sold DVD players are incapable of doing anything constructive with PAL video. So it would not surprise me at all even if you are somehow able to unlock it (which I still think is unlikely) that you will find that it is unable to play any PAL DVDs. I'm sorry but the harsh reality is what we tell you UK guys over and over again when you buy electronics from the USA and post here asking how to unlock it - you probably wasted your money. There's no push for region free stuff over here because 99% of consumers are both uninterested in "foreign" video formats (ie. PAL) and unaware that there even are differences. Plus, US manufacturers have just assumed for years that "nobody wants to play DVDs from other regions". Add to that the fact that Hollywood puts enormous pressure on all manufacturers to not make any region free players available in the USA and Canada and you are facing some long odds on this task.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply jman98 !

I've been able to play PAL DVDs in these units without any problem - they can be set to either PAL, NTSC or 'Auto'. This makes me think that the units are not just sold in the US and therefore should be able to have their region code changed. Also, in the first pic it shows "VID = Lite-On", who manufacture DVD drives and players sold around the world.

I'm still hopeful I'll be able to get these players recoded, and avoid having to make backups of my DVDs!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Should != Can

Well, the fact that it can play PAL is rather remarkable. Still, don't hold your breath on changing that region code.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Did you get any further? I have the same problem.
    We bought an Ford Explorer and our car has Invision Revolution IIG dvd players in the headrests. Naturally Region 1. I am also trying to get the information on how to set them to Region 2 or Region = (plays both regions)

The reason behind the Regions is the fact that in the past (now not any more!!!- so there is no reason for these regions anymore) was that films were released in the US 6 to 9 months before they were released in Europe. To avoid that people in Europe would buy the already in the US available dvds of new films before they were released in the cinemas in Europe was the reason behind these region codes.

Now films are in cinemas in US and Europa at the same time, so the grounds for regions are not there any more.

Then for us there is even an other reason: We now have the capability of playing region 1 in Europe, what was not wanted.
    so what is the ground for a manufacturer to not assist us here to give us the codes and how to change the region.

Now I connect a European DVD player to the Invision player in the car and then the film can be seen though the Invision players in the car.
    Not really convenient. But it shows the players do show PAL, Also it says in the manual VIDEO DISPLAY SYSTEM : NTSC / PAL

So you are right the are capable of playing PAL (For Europe the importer seems to be in Germany - have not found out who they are yet).

WhenI find out how to change the region I will directly inform you, hope you will do the same for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply, ExplorerEurope.

I still haven't been able to change the region code on these players yet, but if I ever do figure it out I'll be sure to let you know! Do your screen menus look the same as mine in the pics above? If not, there's no guarantee that a fix for mine will be the same for yours....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ExplorerEurope View Post
    Hello,
    The reason behind the Regions is the fact that in the past (now not any more!!!- so there is no reason for these regions anymore) was that films were released in the US 6 to 9 months before they were released in Europe. To avoid that people in Europe would buy the already in the US available dvds of new films before they were released in the cinemas in Europe was the reason behind these region codes.

Now films are in cinemas in US and Europa at the same time, so the grounds for regions are not there any more.
    Well, officially that was the reason and you are right that for the most part (there are exceptions though) films are in cinemas in the US and Europe at the same time now. However, Hollywood has always been what we call a "control freak". They still see value in putting region codes on DVDs and trying to prevent people from buying DVDs outside their regions. Why? Who knows? A lot of what Hollywood does doesn't really make a lot of sense, but they do it anyway. To be somewhat fair, part of the reason may be that foreign distributors have different licensing than North American ones and there may be contracts where Hollywood is required to region lock movies on DVD so that the distributor in Europe doesn't have to compete with import sales from the USA.

Anyway, it's kind of ugly but you do always have the option to rip your region 2 DVDs and reburn them (shrinking them down to single layer size before burning if you need to or want to). Ripping will make them region free. If you don't have to do it a lot it might be manageable to do this from time to time just burning to DVD+/-RW discs and using those when you're in the car.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

Make the following:

turn on the dvd
    With the screen showing (monitor A or B)
    Set via remote control:

Press 77 Play

Enter
    scroll to your region code (from 1 to 6)
    Enter
    Turn off

Repeat the steps for the second screen if necessary

Enjoy !!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Hi maxedge - thanks for the post and the PMs.

I've tried the steps you suggested above, but nothing happens after entering 7 > 7 > Play > Enter on the remote control so I am unable to scroll to a region code or anything.... Can you confirm this is what I should be doing, and on exactly which screen?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Matho,

I sent you a e-mail.
    Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi maxedge,

Is it possible you can send me instructions via email, as I'm having the same problem as matho...

Thanks
    Eddy
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Update:-

Unfortunately maxedge's instructions above only seem to work on the Invision Revolution model, not on Invision Slim Line SL7. We are trying some other routes to find out how to do this, but if anyone else already has the answer then please post below!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I'm still trying to get more info for you. I haven't forgotten! I called to the authorized seller in the U.S. and he told me that they don't sell your dvd model. I'd like to post the picture I took of the screen that appears after the procedure that I gave you. May it give you some clue. How can I upload it?
    I don't believe that the procedure for unlocking your DVD be very different from mine. May be we can try the same sequence with another numbers. My God! So near so far. Unbelievable!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maxedge View Post
    I'm still trying to get more info for you. I haven't forgotten! I called to the authorized seller in the U.S. and he told me that they don't sell your dvd model.
    If they did sell it in the US then
    1) They would NEVER tell you how to unlock it.
    2) There's a good chance that the US models couldn't be unlocked any way.

Read my first point in my post on Feb. 19. It still applies and it explains why you can't unlock this.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Jman98,

Sorry but you are wrong. I bought my invision at Ford dealer in U.S and they gave me the whole procedure for unlock my Invision Revolution. I was just trying to help Matho but unfortunately we found out that there are differents unlock procedures for differents Invision models
    Best regards
    Last edited by maxedge; 8th Nov 2012 at 13:35.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,

This is the screen that I found after the unlock procedure. I'm still trying to get more info for you. I haven't forgotten!

attachmentid=14673&stc=1&d=1352560269[/IMG]

Name:	IMG_4798_1024.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	14673  

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Max edge.. Im trying to watch region 1 videos on my region 4 system here in Mexico.. I tried the 77/play/Enter but nothing happens... could you send me instruction you emails to other readers in the past?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Maxedge .. can you please send me in details how to change region code, I have tried your way but no luck, i could not see the menu as in the picture that you post it.

I am having the same system for my Ford Explorer, Invision Revolution
    Quote Quote  
  19. Click image for larger version

Name:	dvd1.jpg
Views:	2321
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	23740
    Hi boys, could help to change to region 4?.
    best regards.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi I recently bought Invision Revution DVD Headrests for my Ford Explorer off eBay and found they are region 4 not region 1 for the USA. I have tried steps above which don't seem to work to change the region code. I did find useful that entering 1-3-7-9 in the setup shows the region code. I also found that entering 2-4-6-8 in setup reveals a display which states hidden menu but does not show anything to change or program. Can someone please help me. Thanks. I tried entering 7-7-play but does not seem to help me. Let me know if anyone has any ideas or solutions. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Drugcop - No harm in asking, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems possible that maybe Invision has made firmware or hardware changes to these models and they can no longer be unlocked or have the region changed. This kind of thing happens all the time with all kinds of DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found such behavior on the menu by pressing the 1379 final setup menu. No, it can not be changed.

Name:	WP_20140829_009.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	27145  

Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by maxedge View Post
    Hi Matho,

I sent you a e-mail.
    Best regards

Hello Maxedge
    I know this may be a old post, but could you share the email that you previously sent to other people to change the Region in the Invision Revolution Series Headrest DVD Players. (I`ve tried the 77Play) without luck

I very much appreciate your help.

Jahtotem
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi there,

I am trying to unlock the DVD player as well (2014 Ford Flex). I can access several menus using 1 3 7 9 and 2 4 6 8 but no luck in changing the region code. Anybody who knows how to do it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170212-WA0007.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	40531

Regards
    Last edited by horst263; 12th Feb 2017 at 04:32.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi All,

I have the same problem here with a 2014 Ford Explorer. Same behavior as described from horst263 and Jukkis.

In setup at the last item I can enter 1379 and I'm getting the DVD region screen, but no possibility to change it.

Are there any tips regarding this, or may I have the solution via PM?

Thx
    Asiadriver
    Quote Quote