VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    Hey AlanHK, I wanted to upload the same image as my avatar, and you beat me to it! In fact it is exactly the same still, at the same moment!
    At least you recognise Moon-Watcher. I had one guy who insisted it was King Kong and that I was making some racist joke about Hong Kong.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Hey AlanHK, I wanted to upload the same image as my avatar, and you beat me to it! In fact it is exactly the same still, at the same moment!
    At least you recognise Moon-Watcher. I had one guy who insisted it was King Kong and that I was making some racist joke about Hong Kong.
    Ha ha ha! But have you read the book? It is even more awesome!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Ha ha ha! But have you read the book? It is even more awesome!
    Obviously, you have read it, otherwise you would not know His name, would you?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have become quite an expert in authoring DVDs now. I am basically turning TV programs which are either .avi or .mkv files to VOBs on a DVD that can be played by a DVD Player.

I am ready to go a bit advanced now, especially with regard to the Menus. I would like to be able to choose the background images and also the audio to play when the menu is shown. The thumbnails can be still or animated. I should be able to choose the font and color of the Menu Titles.

I have been working with DVD Flick till now. Can you tell me the Freeware software I have to use to graduate to the next level of complicated menus. I did do some research on this site and so many alternatives are present. Can you people tell me on the basis of experience which software I should use? And also any guides available. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am ready to go a bit advanced now, especially with regard to the Menus. I would like to be able to choose the background images and also the audio to play when the menu is shown. The thumbnails can be still or animated. I should be able to choose the font and color of the Menu Titles.
    If you can make the MPG and AC3 then use GfD to make them into a DVD.
    It has a comprehensive help file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    If you can make the MPG and AC3 then use GfD to make them into a DVD.
    It has a comprehensive help file.
    Thanks. I hope I can also have a background image of my choice?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.
    Try it and read the help file before you ask any more questions. It will save a lot of time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by harishkumar09 View Post
    I would like to be able to choose the background images and also the audio to play when the menu is shown. The thumbnails can be still or animated. I should be able to choose the font and color of the Menu Titles.
    You create all that yourself and then import them into the authoring program. I use DVDAuthorGUI for these things. It's the 'sister' program to the GFD that AlanHK suggested. Below is one I'm working on now. Nothing elaborate. That's a pic from the main menu which has a video in the middle. Click to either start the movie or to go to the chapter menu which is a still menu.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Noor.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	16255  

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Yes.
    Try it and read the help file before you ask any more questions. It will save a lot of time.

OK. Thanks. I will do that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I would like to be able to choose the background images and also the audio to play when the menu is shown. The thumbnails can be still or animated. I should be able to choose the font and color of the Menu Titles.
    You create all that yourself and then import them into the authoring program. I use DVDAuthorGUI for these things. It's the 'sister' program to the GFD that AlanHK suggested. Below is one I'm working on now. Nothing elaborate. That's a pic from the main menu which has a video in the middle. Click to either start the movie or to go to the chapter menu which is a still menu.
    Thanks to you to.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I know this question might sound extremely strange at this time, having burned so many DVDs, but why would anyone want to watch movies/TV-shows on a DVD Player when you have a computer at home? I have burned movies/TV Episodes for a friend and I wonder why she prefers to watch it on a DVD-Player instead of a computer which she has?

Apart from a Big Screen, which can be attached to a PC or a laptop, what other benefits do you get when you watch it on a DVD-Player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD player may give a better interface than playing a file.
    The remote control. Jumping to chapters, etc.
    DVD menu can be easier to use than a file navigation screen.
    The subtitle font when I play a file directly is pretty ugly, on my TV, for instance.
    Generally, less hassle.
    If you have some media centre-style PC, it should be better, though
    Quote Quote  
  13. In addition to what AlanHK said, I like relaxing on the sofa and watching the big screen as opposed to sitting in a chair staring at the computer monitor. And I spend enough time as it is looking at a monitor. And it's way more convenient when there are two or more to sit on sofas rather than crowding around a computer monitor. For me there isn't even any question as to which is easier, more comfortable, and more convenient.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks AlanHK and manono. I agree with you AlanHK when you talk about subtitles. I usually have them turned off and when I don't understand, I have to access the menu on the player software and enable it and then rewind and watch it again, which kind of interrupts the viewing experience. I have seen in DVD remotes a subtitle option. So I guess with one press I just rewind and then enable the subtitles with another press and then after watching it, then just one more press and the subtitles are disabled. I have not done it yet, but I can understand the benefits.

I usually watch movies alone, as I usually watch only action and sci-fi stuff, but I remember once when I wanted watch a movie with my wife, it was weird, we both had to sit away and watch it on the laptop screen. Not the best of experiences.

Thanks for enlightening me.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ah, and now I understand the value of a DVD+RW disks. I used to think of them as nothing more than temporary storage devices, at one-half or one-quarter the cost of a pendrive, but now I can think of how to use them. If I have already planned to watch a movie this sunday, I can just convert mkv/avi/mpg to DVD-Format using DVDFlick the previous night, burn to RW disk, watch it, erase it and repeat the same procedure for another movie.
    Quote Quote