VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hard to explain this but I'm trying to author a Blu Ray for the first time. When I make DVD menus I'll have a mainmenu.psd which has the play/chapters buttons on etc and then a second (or more if needed) chapters.psd for all of the chapters. This means two separate menus and if they're motion menus two videos meaning twice the space on disc, or more.

Now when I play some commercial Blu Rays I notice that they seem to only need one motion menu and then all the options/chapters etc pop up on the same menu as you navigate them, meaning only one video is needed which saves space for the main feature.

My question obviously is, how can I do that in Encore/Photoshop? I've got my main motion menu video and I'd then like the chapters to just pop up on the same menu. Is that possible?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You build all elements into your single main motion menu, then set a loop point. Same as you would in a DVD, it's not any different technique for blu-ray

e.g you animate your options/chapters popping up into motion menu video (maybe window thumbnails, text, whatever they are) . Of course that's harder to do in photoshop alone. Most people would use AE for that, but the animation part can be done in premiere (or any NLE) for example.

There should be many basic tutorials for this:

e.g. this one is based in AE/photoshop/encore, but can use the same concepts with any program + encore

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/dvd_authoring/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright I think I follow, I've only just started using motion menus and Premiere to do them so I didn't know about how loop points and things work. That video looks handy.

EDIT: Watched that video but it didn't cover the specific point of adding the second menu items on top of the single menu so I'm still not sure.

I'm using Premiere Pro and i've created so far just my main menu. It's a 1min 30 movie with some design elements on top and a Play/Chapters text which i'll add buttons for in PS/Encore.

Are you saying I should add on the end of the footage the extra images/buttons for the chapters? Won't that display them before the person clicks 'chapters'?
    Last edited by Killer3737; 11th Feb 2012 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also in that example he makes the video in the background stop. Will this only work if I do that? Because my menu has the video running throughout it's length, it doesn't stop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Maybe I'm not understanding what you want to do?

Everything is built in to the video for the motion menu. There is nothing separate. If you want buttons or images to animate on, that's part of the video. The only difference is the subpicture highlight. That's the only thing that's important in DVD/blu-ray menus. A functional button is just a subpicture highlight.

EDIT: Watched that video but it didn't cover the specific point of adding the second menu items on top of the single menu so I'm still not sure.
    Sorry I misread that in your post. Did you want sub menus with menu transition? How does it go from one menu to the other ? I imagined it as chapters /buttons popping up in the main menu which is what commercial blu-ray/dvd often do

Now when I play some commercial Blu Rays I notice that they seem to only need one motion menu and then all the options/chapters etc pop up on the same menu as you navigate them, meaning only one video is needed which saves space for the main feature.
    This is what is happening. Everything is built into the motion menu (it's part of the video). All you do is animate the options/chapters/icons/graphics on - is that the part your confused about ? the animation ?

Are you saying I should add on the end of the footage the extra images/buttons for the chapters? Won't that display them before the person clicks 'chapters'?
    Set the Loop point where you want to. Plan your animation so it shows the buttons animating on later

Maybe you should describe EXACTLY what you want to do more clearly. Draw it out in a story board if you have to.
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 11th Feb 2012 at 13:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I think that is a good idea. What I'm thinking of maybe isn't actually possible but it seemed like it is from others I've seen.

Ok so this is my basic main menu layout:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mainmenuaa.png
Views:	609
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	10885

In the white area is a video that lasts 1mn 30s which would then loop back around to the start. I've already created this as a sequence in Premiere, it works fine. If my project was just that menu I would then add the highlight buttons in photoshop, add the project in Encore and render the whole thing.

What I'd like to happen is when the user clicks 'chapters' rather than being taken to another separate menu as I always have done in the past I'd like the chapters to just slide up and look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	chapterpopup.png
Views:	632
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	10884

Then they could obviously choose a chapter and it would skip to it. There would also have to be a 'next' button to a second pop up since there are 20+ chapters. All the while the single video is still playing in the background, on the same single menu so I don't have to use a 150Mb video twice, or three times in this case as there would need to be at least two chapter menus.

If that makes sense is it something that is possible? I've created the 'slide' animation in Premiere but I don't really understand how that would pop up only when the user clicked the chapters button and also how to stop the highlights for the chapters appearing before the chapters are shown.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok so you want user interaction to reveal the prepared chapter animation list sliding up (ie it doesn't pop up or reveal itself without user interaction), all in a single motion menu

I don't think Encore can do this. You can do pop up menus, but only for timelines (i don't think they work for menus)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks, so it's an Encore limitation rather than a Blu Ray limitation in itself?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think you should be able to do it with scenarist, but not certain. It's very expensive and steep steep learning curve for blu-ray. Encore is really "mickey mouse" compared to it

The problem is the user interaction part, built into a motion menu. I can't think of a way in Encore without multiple menus. Maybe someone else knows a trick
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, yeah I don't think I'm going to spend $5000 for that. I'll have to do it with multi menus.

Cheers for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Killer3737 View Post
    Ok, yeah I don't think I'm going to spend $5000 for that. I'll have to do it with multi menus.
    They have a few BD versions, like "Pro", "Studio", etc.. but it's alot more expensive than that

They had it on "sale" for ~$16,000 a while back (used to be a lot more, like $30-40K)
    Quote Quote