VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    was wondering if there was any software out there that is peer to peer where u can chat? I know any IM or IRC does the same thing but all these log sessions and such and I was sitting back and wondered...is there a piece of software where you can connect with someone from your machine to theirs where you can communicate or chat without going through a server or using a service etc (like Im's or IRC etc)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you talking about 2 PCs on the same domain and/or subnet? If so, I would STRONGLY suggest:

1. Linux Openfire Server (opensource), set to access/supply only LDAP (AD) logins, with Logging turned off
    2. Miranda IM client (opensource), with only Jabber protocol turned on, set to start on boot.

I'm implementing this RIGHT NOW, and it's great!! Perfect intranet replacement for the old (deprecated & unsecure) NetSend.

If you're talking about crossing domains/subnets, I don't believe there is ANYTHING serverless...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to chat with someone who lives a few states away without having to use anything google or msn or IRC...all logged sessions and all that...just straight from my pc to his

I thought IRC was like that but was told that they log chat sessions because its on specific servers etc....got me to wondering if I could somehow just find an app where i can connect to someone else pc and chat without the nosey middleman etc...(Not concerned with my ISP)

*windows 7

if the miranda with jabber enabled only is what I'll need, do I need to sign up at jabber to get an account to get it work?
    Last edited by Moontrash; 10th Feb 2012 at 19:16.
    Quote Quote