VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When I was buying our first DVD player, I was expecting them all to remember where you were, the last time a DVD was in the player. We watch a lot of documentaries, but not back to back. In fact it's often weeks later before we try to watch the next episode. Of course any video cassette stayed where it was, so I just assumed that DVD players offered this functionality.

Sadly, they didn't. In fact most of the retailers I asked, denied that any units did this. Fortunately, we found the Pioneer DSC-222 did this, and very useful it was too.

But I'm puzzled why no-one else seems to think this important, given that in these times of gigabyte flash memory, it would be very cheap to implement. So do all you DVD users have total recall, or are all your DVDs bristling with Post-it notes?

Anyway, my main question is now that I'm contemplating a switch to Blu-Ray, is anyone aware which units have this facility. Presumably most of them will remember where you are in the DVD in the machine, but I'm talking about remembering position on (say) the last 20 disks.

Past experience has confirmed that there's no point in asking the retailer!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most Media Players (e.g. WDTVLive) have last play memory for all of files played on it.. just don't unplug /turn off the unit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Even if you find a BluRay player with memory, I think that expecting it to remember the last 20 discs is not realistic. You'll probably be lucky to find a player that remembers the last disc only and that's going to be difficult. My only BluRay player does not remember any discs it plays, but my cheap Philips DVD player does. I've only tested my Philips player with remembering 1 disc as I don't ever start a new DVD until I finish the one I was watching.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "very cheap to implement" is really not cheap enough these days for those who fight for any penny they can spare during production!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by [_chef_] View Post
    "very cheap to implement" is really not cheap enough these days for those who fight for any penny they can spare during production!
    Yeah, I know what you mean... It doesn't help that the feature set is designed by the marketing department these days.

I'm still surprised that they perceive that there is no demand for this feature though. And judging by the responses to this thread, it seems that no one else thinks it's important.

It must be my viewing habits that are strange!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect that memory in Blu Ray players is triggered by software on the disc itself.

I have an OPPO BDP83 and when I put some discs in for a second time it asks if I want to start from last played location; other discs always start from the beginning. It's not consistent. My older Fox discs start from the beginning, the newer ones ask.

The player starts DVDs from last played point unless I tell it to start over. I haven't discovered the depth of memory so far; my OPPO dvd player saved five disc memory but had to be told to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Remembering where the BD was stopped is now a function of the BluRay disk, and not part of the player unlike in DVD players. If a BD has a resume play it''ll work, if it doesn't it won't.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Most Sony Blu-ray players have memory, my S570 will remember where I left off on up to 12 discs(DVD and BD). It only works on pressed discs though.
    Quote Quote