VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some srt subtitles that were generated by DVDSubEdit that have duplicates

line 2 is a dup of line 1

line 4 is a dup of line 3 [etc, etc to the end of the file]

This usually occurs when there is 16.9 as well as 4/3 subs and the program doesn't separate them out.

Is there a subtitle or text program that will get rid of all the extras. [get rid of all the even numbered lines or get rid of all the odd numbered lines]

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    This usually occurs when there is 16.9 as well as 4/3 subs and the program doesn't separate them out.
    What are you opening in DVDSubEdit to begin with? The full domain VOB files? Under 'SubPic Selection' in the upper right of DVDSubEdit, the dropdown box doesn't allow you to choose which track of that stream you want? I don't have any on the hard drive at the moment with different SUPs for 4:3 and 16:9 so I can't test.

You can extract the individual SUP files using PGCDemux and then open a single SUP file (perhaps together with the IFO) for OCR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I used at the time were the vob files so the opportunity for any re-doing is past now. What I need now is something that will get rid of all the odd or all the even line #s.

Many subtitle programs will find dup lines and you can delete them one at a time but I have't found one that will find the dup lines and delete them all at once.

But that's what I'm looking for.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  4. Good luck then. Perhaps someone else can help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This sounds like "Wow, this function would be really useful to tons of people" but in reality it's a variant on the old "I want to do something that nobody else in the world wants to do, so why doesn't software exist that allows me to do it?" question we get all the time. Be honest cal_tony - have you EVER had another DVD like that one where you needed to delete every other line? I've seen a few line repeats but I've never seen anything even close to what is described.

With SRT files one could either do this brute force in Word, Word Pad, etc. or with programming skills one could write a program in the language of choice to delete every other line. This is hardly some impossible task with no resolution. Worst case, you can do it yourself in Word/Word Pad.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is that DVD sub edit does this occasionally and 6 or 7 months ago I had it happen and found some way to do it I just don't remember how I did it.
    I might have found a subtitle program to do it or I found a notepad that put all the even #s at the end of the file and I just deleted them all at once manually.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use another program such as subtitle edit to extract the subs to srt.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank all of you for the help.

I gave it one more try with my notepads and found that Ted notepad has the ability to delete all duplicate lines.

So problem solved.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. I know this is an old post...but I just ran into the same problem. DVDSubEdit duplicated all the lines of a dvd sub rip (I guess I need to learn DVDSE.)

Subtitle Edit can remove the duplicate lines...

Tools -> Merge lines with same text -> Ok

Quote Quote