VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want a DSLR camera suitable for shooting youtube videos 5-10 minutes in length with a plugin for external microphone. I will be shooting against a white background to start. Camera has to have adjustable settings and produce fairly professional results. Any suggestions? I would prefer to spend $700 or less.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The "external mic" request will put you over $700 as far as I know.....and a DSLR for video is just NOT a smart move to begin with. My Nikon D90 shoots video....well at least it has twice....I never use the video aspect of my D90. For video clips I always grab my Canon portable(Ixus 90IS)....MUCH easier to work with and consistently better results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am certainly open to other ideas like a video camera. I already have a decent Nikon camera so I have no need for another so if video is the way to go, lead on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my canon t3i has a mic input port. for short video clips it's fine, records 1080p30 or 720p60. dslr sensors tend to overheat quickly when taking video.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 4th Feb 2012 at 16:07.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Low end DSLRs are notorious for poor audio but OK for basic narration.

Rather than assumption of $800 DSLR, what kinds of shooting do you anticipate (video and audio)? Music requires special handling (usually separate recording if quality is required).

Most DSLRs and low end camcorders have full time audio gain pumping (AGC) which is poor for music. Pro-sumer camcorders with manual audio level control are the better choice.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. I want to narrate an use only an external, wireless microphone. I may add music later but if that happens it would be with an editor afterward.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    my canon t3i has a mic input port. for short video clips
    Another reason people get pissed off at Canon. That little tid-bit of info is nowhere to be found on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I would give the Panasonic GH2 some serious consideration. It does break the $700 barrier, but you might be able to find a good deal that brings it very close. It probably has the best video spec for its price. Check out http://www.eoshd.com/ for quite a bit of info on this and other cameras.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    my canon t3i has a mic input port. for short video clips
    Another reason people get pissed off at Canon. That little tid-bit of info is nowhere to be found on their website.
    you're right it's only on the website hidden in the downloadable manual. but if you handle one the mic cover is quite noticeable and clearly labeled

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-05_103509.png
Views:	311
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	10794
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Any other thoughts? How about a Nikon 5100? I already have a Nikon lens.
    Quote Quote