VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, i have bought new tv awhile ago and i got an option to insert my USB device to it and watch videos and pictures from it
    It works decent.. But theres this one problem. Sometimes the TV wont recognize the video from my USB, it says something like this "No displaying files available"?? First i though the problem was that the TV cant recognize that kind of format. (The video was MP4) but when i tried another MP4 video, it worked. So it cant be about the format cant it? Now i got this MKV video file i want to watch and the TV wont recognize it. Any idea whats the problem? Is it coz of wrong format? or why does it keep doing that? Thx all for listening!

(soz bad english =/ i tried my best)
    Quote Quote  
  2. MP4 is a container -- a box that holds video and audio that may be compressed (or not) with a number of different compression schemes (codecs). It's likely that your TV doesn't support some codecs. There may also be resolution issues. TVs are notorious for limited support of video file playback. You can use a tool like MediaInfo to examine your video files and determine which codecs and what frame sizes are supported
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    MP4 is a container -- a box that holds video and audio that may be compressed (or not) with a number of different compression schemes (codecs). It's likely that your TV doesn't support some codecs. There may also be resolution issues. TVs are notorious for limited support of video file playback. You can use a tool like MediaInfo to examine your video files and determine which codecs and what frame sizes are supported
    So is it possible to make the video file shown on my tv? or is it just absolutely no for that file? Thx for ur post! i understand now better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PurkkaPoika View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    MP4 is a container -- a box that holds video and audio that may be compressed (or not) with a number of different compression schemes (codecs). It's likely that your TV doesn't support some codecs. There may also be resolution issues. TVs are notorious for limited support of video file playback. You can use a tool like MediaInfo to examine your video files and determine which codecs and what frame sizes are supported
    So is it possible to make the video file shown on my tv?
    Probably not. You may have to reencode with a codec and settings that are acceptable to your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if this is even possible with MP4 containers, but a lot of MKV files have video and audio with "stripped headers" (MediaInfo will tell you if this is true for your file). If this is also possible with MP4 files then this could be why some files don't play. Only PCs understand how to play files with stripped headers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "Header removal compression" problems are unique to MKV.
    Quote Quote