VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello!

I need to type the text of a lecture I captured, is there a tool or something to help me for this?

something that will pause after few words to help me type before proceed, or something...

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try to search Google with these words: 'transcribe audio'
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There really isn't any inexpensive tool for consumers to auto-transcribe audio (aka Speech recognition). The best of what's out there for consumers, Dragon Naturally Speaking, will understand YOU, only after you've run it through it's learning cycle (takes 15 minutes to 1.5 hours) and even that only works well when you talk placidly & evenly. And even that will have errors that need to be manually fixed.

There is NOTHING that will take an off-the-shelf file and completely understand & convert it error-free (except what might be available at CTU!).

Your best bet is to send it to someone who makes it their business to transcribe, or type it yourself- by hand.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 1st Feb 2012 at 02:42. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  4. (except what might be available at CTU!).
    lol

("The best of what's out there for consumers, Dragon Naturally Speaking," - actually .. I consider Dictus a bit more error-free than Dragon .. but then again .. of course you have to speak danish .. and, no, danish isn't just something you eat)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Looking at the original post, it could be that he/she does want "transcription-assistance/control" software. One of the better ones I've seen of those was one (?name?) produced by Olympus to accompany their hand-held digital voice recorder devices.
    Has features for STOP, START, PAUSE, FFWD, RWND, SKIP, MEMORY, even adjustable SPEED (1/8x - 8x), and can be foot pedal controlled simultaneous with "Marking" and typing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    exactly, indeed speech-to-text solutions are not at the stage we would like atm, and I am mainly looking for software to assist the whole, otherwise manual by me, procedure of transcription, in any of its parts

- for example, an audio player with a hotkey to repeat the last 3, 5, 10 seconds would help alot
    - also an audio player that will isolate the human voice in the recording and amplify it
    - it is often a problem when a specific single word cannot be clearly heard, because the speaker lowers temporarily his voice or distorts his voice trying to breath or something, maybe software can help at this?
    - any other idea welcomed
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any player that can do this? repeat last 3 or 5 seconds with a hotkey?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Default keys in VLC :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jump.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	10790

PS: Forgot to mention. At the bootom of settings for Hot-Keys you may set the jump lenght
    Last edited by videobruger; 4th Feb 2012 at 12:53.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, but, after transcribing a lecture, I realized the best is to have a hotkey that will loop forever last 5 seconds

can this be done?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Can this be done?" - Yes, but I don't know of any specific transcriber-controlling software that does that.

However, you may want to just use a good DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software (e.g. Digidesign ProTools, Adobe Audition, Sony Soundforge, even some freeware/shareware like Reaper, maybe Audacity). Those almost invariably have Looping features that you could use. Even then, they are not "automatic" unless you can script them (I used to do that quite often with PT).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks! that is "PT"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ProTools (mentioned above).
    Quote Quote