VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hope this is the right place to post this question...

I have a bunch of DVD-R's from transfers I've done (VHS to DVD). Each dvd has 2 one-hour programs.

I'm wondering if it's possible to take these and dump them onto a DVD-R Dual Layer disc, or perhaps a Blu-Ray disc, or a back-up external hard-drive. I'm concerned with quality loss and am wondering what my options are. I want another back-up option in case something goes wrong with the discs, but with another option that's perhaps space saving?

If anyone can give insight as to any or all of these options are possible. Also what software would I use to do it?

Thanks in advance for feedback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can extract the mpeg-2 from the vob wrapper and save them to a hard drive. try vob2mpg.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. When I extract the mpeg-2 and save each episode to my hard drive. There won't be any quality loss right?

So if I re-burn a new dvd with episodes on it, it will still maintain the quality from my original dvd, correct?

I'm sure this is correct, but just want to verify that quality loss won't be lost between ripping, re-burning, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daysaf00 View Post
    When I extract the mpeg-2 and save each episode to my hard drive. There won't be any quality loss right?
    That is correct.

Originally Posted by daysaf00 View Post
    So if I re-burn a new dvd with episodes on it, it will still maintain the quality from my original dvd, correct?
    Depends on what you use. There shouldn't be any quality loss but some authoring programs are rather infamous for re-encoding anything they are given. As long as what you use to create a DVD or BluRay doesn't re-encode then there will be no quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can make .ISO files from your DVD with ImgBurn or some other software, so you will lose really nothing.
    Video DVD ISO files can be played with VLC just the same way as your DVD.
    You can if you need burn them back to DVD also with ImgBurn.
    GB are cheaper on HDD than on DVD and take less space on a shelf.

One can do lossless conversion between DVD and .MPG file but this is not as easy as using .ISO

I would not advise you to re-encode your videos to a more recent format (mp4 or else) to gain space unless you can make a powerful video restoration. re-encoding low quality videos such as VHS transfers is usually rather lossy.
    Last edited by misermidas; 24th Mar 2012 at 15:09.
    Quote Quote