VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a Sony TRV460 off of Craigs and am using Premiere CS5.5 to capture via FW. The old hi 8 tapes were shot on an older sony CCD TR700. The 460 seller included some sony digital 8/hi 8 blank tapes. It records well and these tapes capture fine.

My older tapes do not. They play back blurry in the camera, and thus the capture. Some are Fuji M221E E6-120 Super Double Coating, and others are Fuji HI8ME POSITION super double coating.

I put playback on the camera as Hi8 and the same result.
    The camera seems clean if it can record and playback. My old hi8s tape integrity looks clean and sturdy.

Any hints on what could be the problem?
    Last edited by marcopolos; 28th Jan 2012 at 19:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it plays back fine, no rolling/shaking/lost video then it's playing back what's there. the magnetic particles on the tapes may have lost their orientation over time or exposure to magnetic fields.

you might try windv to capture with.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you still have the CCD TR101 or another Hi8 cam to compare?

The CCD TR101 was the lowest end Hi8 entry model. As such the camera section was nowhere near as good as the TRV460.

I have a high end Hi8 model (CCD-V5000 w TBC). I get better captures playing Hi8 tapes in that to a Canopus ADVC vs tape playback in a Digital8 camcorder or deck (Sony TRV-103 or GV-D200) but not that much different.

If you post a short DV clip, I could compare to my results.
    Last edited by edDV; 28th Jan 2012 at 19:20.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Im sorry it was the Sony CCD TR700
    It is toast. I still have a tape stuck inside it. It lasted 10 years in Central America in the 90s so it has a few dead coackroach eggs in it for sure. Perhaps it is the older hi8s that have a problem, is there anyway to clean them? I will look into windv.
    Quote Quote  
  5. One thing you can try to troubleshoot playback problems is disabling the TBC or DNR functions on the camera. Both settings are under the "STANDARD SET" menu. Also post some sample videos showing the problem. I haven't had any problems with the D8 decks playing back my Hi-8 footage despite them being recorded on an "XR" Sony Hi-8 HandyCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well I finally uploaded the piece that is damaged. The physical integrity of the tape is fine. The first 10 mins of the tape is good, then it goes bad on a new opening scene.
    The vimeo vid shows the tail end of the "good" part, then how it screws up. Please analyze and give advice at what would be the problem.

TAPE: Sony HI8 MP 120videohi8/60 Digital 8
    Camera: shot on a sony CCDTR700 in Jan 2001

CAPTURING , 10 years later(
    with
    sony TRV460 via firewire
    with premiere cs5.5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it do this when played to a TV? Or just the captured video?

If you shuttle the tape into the bad area and try to play, does it sync?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It does not work while capturing.
    Like I said, the first part of the tape does, (first ten mins).
    the ruined part does not work playing back on the TRV460, yet of course, like I mentioned the first 10 mins work.
    Same on TV.
    If by what you mean , "shuttle", as in fast forward 5 mins, yes its the same image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by marcopolos View Post
    It does not work while capturing.
    Like I said, the first part of the tape does, (first ten mins).
    the ruined part does not work playing back on the TRV460, yet of course, like I mentioned the first 10 mins work.
    Same on TV.
    If by what you mean , "shuttle", as in fast forward 5 mins, yes its the same image.
    I meant ff to bad part and try to play from there.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest you try to play on a Hi8 camcorder/deck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah does not work. No idea where to find a hi8 deck and not spending the cash. If it did play crappy in the hi8 deck. What would that mean. The first 10 mins are fine. And the tape does not look damaged.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm hoping I can get this to work since it is documentary work of search and recovery at las colinas landslide January 01 earthquake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm hoping I can get this to work since it is documentary work of search and recovery at las colinas landslide January 01 earthquake.
    I suggest you send that tape to a pro dub house. Ask for a D8 transfer or DV file.
    Last edited by edDV; 4th Feb 2012 at 02:21.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Any dub house in Wa state?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any dub house in Wa state?
    A way to separate the men from the boys in dub houses is to Google for Betacam (a pro format) dubs. That assumes a certain level of pro tech support.

When I Googled "Betacam dub Seattle" this site searched to the top but there are others.
    http://www.victorystudios.com/services/transfer-hdcam-digibeta-betacam-quicktime-files/
    2247 15th Ave West
    Seattle, WA 98119

Looking at their site, they offer a full range of dub options including Hi8. Call them and others for a Hi8 to D8 or Hi8 to DV file dub quote.

Be aware they won't touch copyright material without authorization.
    Quote Quote