VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello VideoHelp.com! I found you guys through Google and I'm hoping you guys may be able to help me!

I would like to get something that plays VHS movies, but will also help me eventually convert my VHS movies to DVDs. I have a $100 gift card from best buy so I was looking today at the following 2 items:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Progressive+Scan+DVD+Player/VCR+Combo+with+JPEG+...&skuId=8971008

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Refurbished+Multiformat+DVD-R/-RW/%2BR/%2BRW+Rec...&skuId=9760041

Now, after further research I realized that the first one might not be a dvd recorder like the second one. Then, I also came across some Best Buy help page that told me that even if I get the recorder I probably won't be able to record my VHS movies (all of which are commercially made/purchased) because of the special coding.

I've done more research (including on this forum) and saw that I'll eventually need a digital video stabilizer as well as possibly a second dvd or vhs recorder since most combos aren't self-recordable even with the stabilizer (I think I have it right - again I've only just started looking into this today).

Thus, since the vhs to dvd conversion is a more long term goal (though I obviously don't want to wait until these tapes are worn out) my questions are these:

1. Am I correct in thinking that no matter which of the two I get I'll need a stabilizer and a separate dvd recorder anyway?

2. Assuming the above is true, and I just for the time being would like to watch these VHS tapes while having something that will help the conversion process, would you recommend one of the two items I listed above over the other? The $89 one is in the store so I can just go get it, so I'd like to get that one, but if it won't help with the conversion process later on I'd rather wait (though since I'll need a separate dvd recorder does it matter if the one I get now is a "Recorder"?).

3. Assuming I get one of the above two items, what specifically else would I need to get (besides a stabilizer) to be able to record vhs tapes to dvds? Just a dvd recorder, a combo, other items? If it helps, I have 2 tvs, both of which have built in dvd players but aren't to my knowledge "dvd recorders."

4. Since I've never done something like this, would it be better (with respect to quality of results, cost effectiveness, or anything else I'm not thinking of yet) to just get someone to do this for me? If so, how would you recommend I go about finding someone?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have a pretty good handle of things, I'll try and answer your questions:
    1. Yes, video filters for DVDs are over $100 but if your only concern is VHS tapes then you should be able to find one for ~$30
    2. I'd get your first DVD PLAYER/VCR and then purchase a separate DVD RECORDER at a later point.
    3. You need a VHS player(or the first link which is a DVD/VCR player) a VHS filter and finally a DVD Recorder. Note the second link would work for a DVD recorder but you wouldn't really need the VHS part for your project.
    4. Since the tapes are commercial(even if old VHS) you probably won't be able to have a professional do this for you, maybe a friend on the sly but thats about it. AFA quality, I'd really stick with SP or 2hrs/DVD for best quality. Filters reduce the quality even more than VHS is already so they won't be stellar but should be OK. Others praise the quality of a TBC which won't reduce the quality and can even improve it but expect to pay >$200 and probably closer to $400 for a better quality TBC, something probably not worth it for your project.
    Speaking of not worth it, you may want to consider just purchasing your tapes on DVD. They will be better picture quality and you won't have the cost of a VCR, DVDR and filter. Of course for things out of print or family videos, converting is your only choice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jjeff thanks so much for your quick response! A few follow-up questions/comments:

1. Is a "filter" the same as a "digital video stabilizer"? If not, do I need both? Any that you would recommend?

2. What exactly is a TBC?

3. Considering blu-rays will no doubt be outmoded some day too, perhaps instead of dvds should I just consider recording the VHS tapes to a computer or external hard drive? If so, what hardware and/or software would I need (as opposed to the vhs to dvd setup you laid out previously)?

4. For a majority of my VHSs, you may be right, but I'm sentimental and like the older quality of VHS tapes and want to "preserve" the versions of some of the movies I grew up with. Most importantly, I have these - original and un-ruined by "George":

Click image for larger version

Name:	star wars vhs.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	10717

Surely you understand the importance of the situation...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Yes they are the same, filter/stabilizer.
    2. A TBC is a Time Base Corrector. Here's a link to a good post talking about a couple TBCs and a $25 video filter
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21423300#post21423300
    3. DVDs should be around for a very long time, if not DVDs then BDs and every BD player will also play DVDs. You can use a PC card/USB dongle to capture a VHS output and it's possible?? your PC program could remove the CP but note going the PC route is more time consuming and I've read can run into issues with older tapes(maybe not for your commercial SP tapes). A PC could give you the most professional looking DVDs but I personally don't use a PC for such recordings.
    4. I don't want to discourage you from your conversion project, it's how I converted my VHS tapes but I just thought I should point out other alternatives to purchasing lots of hardware that you many not use after your project.

Now we haven't really talked much about DVDR brands, Toshiba is a decent brand(current models made by Funai) but a better option is something like a Magnavox(also made by Funai) DVDR with a HDD. Refurbished they can be had for as low as $170 and they provide many more options for editing than just a plain DVDR. Even $170 may be more than you want to spend but again just pointing out other alternatives. The cheap Toshiba combo player would still be OK for your VHS player and if you purchased a TBC or DVD filter you could even use it for a DVD player to backup your commercial DVDs.
    Link to THEE definitive Magnavox DVDR thread:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the input jjeff!!! I went and bought the cheaper VHS/DVD player. The conversion thing is something for a few months down the road, so I'll probably return to this thread at some point. Thanks so much for your help!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you have a lot of tapes to convert? Like, over 50? If so I'd suggest you pick up a DVD recorder sooner rather than later: they are suddenly and rapidly fading from availability. If you must use up a Best Buy credit to get one, you may discover Best Buy no longer carries them a few months from now. Dubbing directly to a PC is possibe, but an ugly workflow not recommended for the casual user. For a stabilizer, buy this.

For the tape trilogy you pictured, my advice is don't bother: the results will be pretty poor for various reasons specific to this tape set. Assuming what you're after is a DVD copy of the "original untampered versions" from the VHS era, you'd be much MUCH better off just buying the 2006 two-disc "limited edition" studio releases of each film, which include the "original" versions on a separate disc:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-DVD-2006-2-Disc-Limited-Edition-Widescreen-/22094401...item33714a2954

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Empire-Strikes-Back-DVD-2006-2-Disc-Set-Limited-Edition-Widesc...item231935815e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-VI-Return-Jedi-Wide-Screen-2-DVD-Set-Limited-Edition...item35b8ff66e0

Yes, you'll probably end up paying $60-90 for the three but it is the only realistic way to get a decent DVD version of the "original" theatrical releases. This was the only DVD or BluRay release to include the "originals," all other disc versions/packages/collections include only the "improved" updated/tampered/eff-up versions that zippy the pinhead has inflicted on the world. He has not changed his mind about this since 2006, if anything he has grown more stubborn and obnoxious about wiping the originals out of existence. So if you want them, grit your teeth and buy these specific DVDs. Assuming he never relents, these discs will retain their value.

Of course if the updated versions do not bother you, you could just grab the cheapest DVD releases you can find. There are countless DVD variations of the "updated" trilogy available for as little as $5 apiece second-hand. I would recommend buying these over trying to dub the tapes: you can get away with tape dubs of "ordinary" movies and TV shows, but anything on VHS which relies heavily on FX or visuals, esp letterboxed widescreen, results in murky hard to watch DVD dubs.
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Jan 2012 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote