VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I am wondering if you can answer a couple of questions. I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and Adobe Media Encoder 4. I am currently editing some high definition family videos and I would like to figure out a good export format for this video.

Ideally, I want to end up with one high definition video file that I can both watch on a high definition media player, AND eventually author into a Bluray Disc without having to transcode.

I have used Adobe Media Encoder to export my project, and I have found the H.264 Bluray presets, but they present a couple of problems

1) If I choose not to multiplex, I end up with a m4v video file and an AC3 audio file. For the project I am working on now, the m4v files is around 900MB and the AC3 files is around 10MB. I understand this is by design, to allow the disc authoring software to do it's own multiplexing, but of course it means the output can't be played on a standalone media player.

2) If I choose to multiplex to TS (which is the only muxing option available other than "none" it projects the file size at around 1400MB - which seems like an enormous overhead for multiplexing, given that the AC3 file by itself is only 10MB.

My questions are: Is this large discrepancy in file sizes normal? Should I expect a mux'ed files to be so large? OR are there other options to encode to that will allow me to import into an Encore project without having to re-transcode the file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by schmickers View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am wondering if you can answer a couple of questions. I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and Adobe Media Encoder 4. I am currently editing some high definition family videos and I would like to figure out a good export format for this video.

Ideally, I want to end up with one high definition video file that I can both watch on a high definition media player, AND eventually author into a Bluray Disc without having to transcode.

I have used Adobe Media Encoder to export my project, and I have found the H.264 Bluray presets, but they present a couple of problems

1) If I choose not to multiplex, I end up with a m4v video file and an AC3 audio file. For the project I am working on now, the m4v files is around 900MB and the AC3 files is around 10MB. I understand this is by design, to allow the disc authoring software to do it's own multiplexing, but of course it means the output can't be played on a standalone media player.
    You can use another 3rd party muxer, eg. mkvtoolnix for mkv , or yamb for mp4 . BUT - blu-ray is best authored with elementary assets that have never been in a container. Even if a video has been muxed and later demxued, there are slight changes in sequence headers that cause problems with pro authoring apps . It will probably still work if you demux with mkvextract then throw it into encore (it really isn't a "professional" authoring tool), but "best practices" would dictate you have 2 versions , 1 untouched for future authoring

2) If I choose to multiplex to TS (which is the only muxing option available other than "none" it projects the file size at around 1400MB - which seems like an enormous overhead for multiplexing, given that the AC3 file by itself is only 10MB.

My questions are: Is this large discrepancy in file sizes normal? Should I expect a mux'ed files to be so large? OR are there other options to encode to that will allow me to import into an Encore project without having to re-transcode the file?
    Typically transport stream overhead is ~ 5-7%. So something is wrong and doesn't add up if you add the video & audio size * 1.07 . Other containers like mkv, mp4 have less overhead, probably <0.1%

You can also send via dynamic link to encore and let encore encode & author it
    Quote Quote