VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is it that when I convert a program that's taken from my DVR to say divx, (using the same bitrate, resolution, fps etc. as the .vob file) the converted program doesn’t playback at full screen on my TV like the original? What am I missing??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by dexterdoo View Post
    Why is it that when I convert a program that's taken from my DVR to say divx, (using the same bitrate, resolution, fps etc. as the .vob file) the converted program doesn’t playback at full screen on my TV like the original? What am I missing??
    The resize. Your VOB is 720x480. DVD video gets resized upon playback, just how depending on whether it was encoded as 4:3 or 16:9. If yours is 16:9 (fills a widescreen TV set), you should probably resize to some 1.78:1 or similar resolution, one such as 624x352 maybe. Or 704x400.

Or let AutoGK do the job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would leave the frame the original size and use Divx's aspect ratio flags. All modern software players, and most modern standalone players, will respect the AR flags.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'll try both of these suggestions. But is an AR flag something that I set???
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm ........ AutoGK looks interesting and I am definitely "overwhelmed by the vast options" lol!! Think I'll check that out also.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since you've converted to xvid using the same resolution as the vob, you can just use mpeg4modifier to change the AR flag
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you use an program that gives you access to the Xvid dialogs you can specify either the pixel aspect ratio (shape of individual pixels) or the display aspect ratio (shape of the final displayed picture).

Click image for larger version

Name:	xvid.png
Views:	387
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	10686
    Quote Quote